AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
Today was a double-header movie day for me -- we're trying to beat the heat! -- and as my friend pointed out, we couldn't have picked two more contrasting films.

First on the agenda today was MAGIC MIKE. I'll admit it: I went for the man-candy, and there was plenty of it. There was also the obligatory cautionary tale, as 19-year-old Adam gets caught up in the women, the money, and the good time, and starts going down a dead-end path. The movie was a little long for what it was. I did enjoy the routines and grinned hugely in several places. I find that I much prefer to see those scenes with a barrier between me and what's playing out. I'd be mortified, I think, to experience all that in real life. I'd give it a C+, I guess.

Next was MOONRISE KINGDOM, a story about young lovers who run away to be together, sparking a community-wide search and rescue. The movie is quirky. Funny in places and I enjoyed watching it, even if I wouldn't necessarily want to see it again. Beautiful to watch, too -- like the entire thing was filmed in Instagram. If there was a deeper meaning to the movie, it escaped me, but I was entertained. B-

Last week I saw BRAVE. Can't say that it was my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it. The star of the show for me was Merida's hair! Wow! I was mesmerized.

Nifty, those are all on my list of 'want to see', thanks for your reviews!

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
I liked it better than the recent Spider-Man movies, although there were plenty of elements that had me going, "Huh?" Garfield was great -- better than Maguire -- and Emma Stone is just adorable. (In this role, she reminded me a bit of her character in Easy A.) The scenes from the morning after Peter got bitten, when he was discovering his newly acquired powers, were hilarious!!

Looking forward to part 2!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Mike - C+ - the dancing scenes were good, sort of a sad slow story at times though, would have prefered if they kept it all fun but the eye candy was nice. The ending seemed kind of abrupt, some threads left hanging.

Linda
jebe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Magic Mike - C+ - the dancing scenes were good, sort of a sad slow story at times though, would have prefered if they kept it all fun but the eye candy was nice. The ending seemed kind of abrupt, some threads left hanging.

Linda

I saw it last night, Linda. I don't know what I was expecting, but yeah, it was a different storyline than I expected. A little heavy and sad, but I was pleasantly entertained. I went mostly to see my beloved Alcide, but he was hardly in it! I did walk away very much in love with Channing Tatum, tho! I knew who he was, but I had never seen any of his movies before. Very charismatic and such a good dancer, too. And ya know, he's in very good shape, if you're like into that kind of thing. Cool
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
[I saw it last night, Linda. I don't know what I was expecting, but yeah, it was a different storyline than I expected. A little heavy and sad, but I was pleasantly entertained. I went mostly to see my beloved Alcide, but he was hardly in it! I did walk away very much in love with Channing Tatum, tho! I knew who he was, but I had never seen any of his movies before. Very charismatic and such a good dancer, too. And ya know, he's in very good shape, if you're like into that kind of thing. Cool

I don't think Channing Tatum is that good looking in the face, just not my type, but the boy can dance! Was disappointed that Alcide wasn't in much and neither was Matt Bomer. boo. Not attracted to Tarzan guy but the little bro was cute. The next one I'll just see on DVD.

I saw Channing Tatum on Live with Kelly and he actually did work as a stripper before he became an actor! He had a little experience and it showed, haha

Linda
kris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: movies Reply with quote

We saw The Expendables 2 and Hope Springs.

The Expendables 2: Lot's of fun and action. It's nice seeing the old guys kick butt and I do love Jason Statham.

Hope Springs: I really think that Tommy Lee Jones and Meryl Streep are amazing. I could almost believe I was watching a real therapy session. The ending was a little hokey but I still loved it......and my husband did too.
Alicia Dean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Magic Mike three times. I'd like to see it a thousand more. Smile Comes out on DVD October 23 and can't wait! I went to see it for the dancing, but was pleasantly surprised by the story line. Channing Tatum is so, so very sexy and hot and BOY, can he move. I was mega impressed!!! Very Happy
AliciaDean.com
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: movies Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Hope Springs: I really think that Tommy Lee Jones and Meryl Streep are amazing. I could almost believe I was watching a real therapy session. The ending was a little hokey but I still loved it......and my husband did too.

Sometimes hokey is nice. Saw this with my son, who is a counselor on a military base, and he liked the Steve Carrell character. He said it's nice to see a movie where the therapist isn't either a pompous jerk or a psycho villain. I thought all three actors did a great job.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleship

Not as awful as I expected. The dialogue was pretty bad in the beginning, but I think it got (slightly) better as the film went on. The acting was pretty bad on the part of several characters, but it too seemed to get better after a while. I think I started to enjoy the film when the Japanese captain took a primary role. He was great. The CGI aliens were a bit too "Transformers-ish" for my liking but the general concept of who they were and how they got there was interesting. Hokey at the very end. I guess I'd give it a C. Glad I didn't go see it in the theatre, but I didn't mind spending a few bucks on the rental.
kris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: movie Reply with quote

Susan/DC said
Quote:
he liked the Steve Carrell character

He was excellent in this movie. It wasn't played for laughs. He really cared that this couple would be able to reconnect.
I loved some of the more intimate questions he asked Kay and Arnold. There was a lot of nervous laughter in the audience. Laughing
pickyreader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVE

I have to say that I was lured to see that movie under false pretenses: the trailer was totally misleading!! I don't want to give anything away as I rant and complain but (SPOILER ALERT) I was under the impression I would be seeing the story of a (head)strong young woman who decides not to yield to conventions and goes off in search of her destiny. What I got was an adventure that barely made it a few miles away from the kingdom! And I found it rather unfair that the film centered on her relationship with her mother. I just think that the moral of the story could have been conveyed without that. Not everyone has a mother, and people who do, are not always so close to her.

Other than that, great animation and the voices were fantastic. But I wouldn't see it again.

C+
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avengers

I saw this on a flight over Labor Day weekend. The only movie I saw connected to this was Thor, and I found that entertaining. I was very entertained by TA, too. Of all the characters to choose from, I walked away crushing on Loki the most! Embarassed Looking forward to any sequels they put out on this series!
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

This whole series was hit out of the park for my son and me but we particularly enjoyed watching the once traumatized child Bruce Wayne work his way back toward a life for the end of this series. We both admire the director Christopher Nolan for his talent and firm grip throughout all three movies by focusing on the characters and the story rather than the usual Hollywood gimics (although there was one scene in the first movie that didn't quite hit the mark). And we're glad he's going to stop here--leave it at the top. Good for him.

And the cast was perfect: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Cillian Murphy. The only characters I couldn't relate to were the female leads who did next to nothing for me.

This third and final in the series would have been the favorite for me if Heath Ledger's performance in #2 hadn't been what it was. It's a very rare occurrence but I couldn't leave my movie seat for some time after that one--I just sat there stunned. This last one #3 was nearly as good, but had a much happier ending. Great story, great cast (with a warmer Christian Bale)--I wouldn't have changed a thing.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
The Avengers

I saw this on a flight over Labor Day weekend. The only movie I saw connected to this was Thor, and I found that entertaining. I was very entertained by TA, too. Of all the characters to choose from, I walked away crushing on Loki the most! Embarassed Looking forward to any sequels they put out on this series!

My family is so nuts over this movie, my husband saw it twice in theater and had to get the DVD the moment it came out, my daughter wanted her own copy at college.

I saw Battleship this past weekend, it was ok, C+, Alexander Skarsgard was the highlight - so much hawtness! But the movie was a bit too transformers for me and they were not as cool.

Linda
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Argo Reply with quote

Just saw Argo and it was an amazing suspenseful movie. I remember the hostage crises but didn't remember hearing about this group of hostages. Great story. My vote for the Oscars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: