AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MMcA



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 674

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

For anyone else that's been waiting - the eARC is available from Baen. Very Happy

(And I'm halfway through repainting the bathroom. Now it's not going to get finished tonight. )

FWIW, I got the eARC of the last book - Cryoburn - & didn't notice any difference between it and the eventual book itself. On the other hand, I'm a fast reader rather than a careful one, so minor lapses might pass me by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
D Rogers



Joined: 31 Jul 2009
Posts: 157

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

I didn't even know about this book. It's weird to think of Ivan as the protagonist! Is it good?

Denise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KayWebbHarrison



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1241
Location: SE VA. USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been eagerly awaiting Ivan's "story."
Kay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JulieR



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first six chapters are available at Baen:

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/A9781451638455/A9781451638455_toc.htm

I've only had a chance to read the first chapter, but I'm hooked! I'm off to buy the eARC.
_________________
JulieR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veasleyd1



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 2064

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the e-ARC yesterday. It's great -- the secondary couple is even more fun than the main couple.

For those who complain about closed bedroom doors, though -- this book was not aimed at you.

Every word is necessary. Don't skip a single line when you read, because it all hangs together very tightly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msaggie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

JulieR wrote:
The first six chapters are available at Baen:

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/A9781451638455/A9781451638455_toc.htm

I've only had a chance to read the first chapter, but I'm hooked! I'm off to buy the eARC.
Thanks so much for linking this. It's addictive and I had to carry on reading after the first few chapters, and have just bought it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MMcA



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 674

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I read the e-ARC yesterday. It's great -- the secondary couple is even more fun than the main couple.



I liked the main couple best, but perhaps that's just because I've wanted Ivan's story for so long. Don't want to be spoilerific when it's so long until the book proper is out - so I think I'll just agree with you that it's great, and - because I can't resist - add just one spoiler... (spoiler) both proposal scenes in 'A Civil Campaign' are so memorable, and it just made me happy that Ivan's proposal was quite as unforgettable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
misty9



Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 79
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

I read the first 6 chapters and am hooked.
Thank you for the heads up

I LOVE McMaster Bujold. Would be writers should read her books before starting their careers.
I especially love Miles, but I'd read any of her sci-fi.
I am picking this book up ASAP
_________________
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.
Arnold Lobel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msaggie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
I liked the main couple best, but perhaps that's just because I've wanted Ivan's story for so long. Don't want to be spoilerific when it's so long until the book proper is out - so I think I'll just agree with you that it's great, and - because I can't resist - add just one spoiler... (spoiler) both proposal scenes in 'A Civil Campaign' are so memorable, and it just made me happy that Ivan's proposal was quite as unforgettable.
I just finished this in the wee hours of the morning. Ivan is such a sweetheart. I thought there were several very tender moments and some parts were quite subtle. Here's a quote "...I've never encountered anyone whose mouth and whose hands seemed to be telling two such different stories....the mouth ripples on amusingly enough, though most of what comes out is camouflage and the rest is lies...but... the hands are strangely shy, until suddenly they turn eloquent..And then their candour could make you weep. A woman might fall in love with the hands.." And another favourite scene is the one with Count Falco Vorpatril (no spoilers will be given!) I was chuckling a good lot reading this book. This one, along with A Civil Campaign are really romances. I think it would be more fun to read A Civil Campaign first, because then, you know the side characters. Highly recommended, and I did not mind paying $15 for the eARC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JulieR



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to read the eARC, and I loved it. Spoilers: I thought Tej was the perfect wife for Ivan. She's smart and adaptable, which she would have to be to fit into Ivan's most-likely Barrayaran-based future. But I also thought that she played somewhat the same role in her family as Ivan played in his -- maybe not to his "Ivan, you idiot" extent, but they did seem to look down on her. I also loved seeing what Simon's life is like these days, and I thought the epilogue was wonderful!

This isn't really a spoiler, I don't think: does anyone have a clue why Tej kept calling Ivan by both names -- Ivan Xav? She didn't refer to her own family that way so it didn't seem to be a cultural thing for her.
_________________
JulieR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veasleyd1



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 2064

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it came from when she looked him up in the encyclopedia of Barrayar Vor-families on the computer and there were several different people named Ivan Vorpatril, but only one with Xav as a middle name, so she mentally used it to individualize him.

JulieR wrote:
Finally got a chance to read the eARC, and I loved it. Spoilers: I thought Tej was the perfect wife for Ivan. She's smart and adaptable, which she would have to be to fit into Ivan's most-likely Barrayaran-based future. But I also thought that she played somewhat the same role in her family as Ivan played in his -- maybe not to his "Ivan, you idiot" extent, but they did seem to look down on her. I also loved seeing what Simon's life is like these days, and I thought the epilogue was wonderful!

This isn't really a spoiler, I don't think: does anyone have a clue why Tej kept calling Ivan by both names -- Ivan Xav? She didn't refer to her own family that way so it didn't seem to be a cultural thing for her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PegS



Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks! I had no idea Baen offered eARCs so far in advance of the publication date! Yay!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bungluna



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 45
Location: OK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the free chapters and just had to get the earc. I don't regret it one bit. This book was wonderful! Bujold is such a subtle writer; she includes nods to all sorts of famous works, including several romances. I loved Ivan, Tej and getting a better look at Gregor at work. Tej's family was a hoot. Byerly was a mess. What a treat.
_________________
"All wealth is biological." Aral VorKosigan - Lois MacMaster Bujold
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msaggie



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 693

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance Reply with quote

bungluna wrote:
I read the free chapters and just had to get the earc. I don't regret it one bit. This book was wonderful! Bujold is such a subtle writer; she includes nods to all sorts of famous works, including several romances. I loved Ivan, Tej and getting a better look at Gregor at work. Tej's family was a hoot. Byerly was a mess. What a treat.
I do feel for dear Ivan - sometimes I think he's really not that dumb (everyone, and even Gregor goes "Ivan you idiot"). Then, there's that scene when the immigration people come (this is in the free chapters), and he still doesn't catch on what Tej and Rish are planning to do, whereas By is already blocking the way. I love the description of Byerly's first encounter with the girls. Much better than mental lusting (although there probably was that going on too in his head). I want more stories from the Vorkosigan world!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group