AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pamela Clare's Defiant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Pamela Clare's Defiant Reply with quote

I loved it as usual. Read it straight through and let my daughter watch way too much television to do it. I'm always sad to finish her historicals because with all her work in other genres we have to wait so long for the next one.

I'm a little extra worried this time because her afterword seemed very goodbye-ish. She is going to write more in the series, isn't she? I want to read Joseph's story and most of all I want to see her redeem Wentworth. I've been hoping for that since the first book. He's a wretch, but there's something about him that just won't let me give up hope.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read it yet, but I have ordered it and hope to fit it in this month.

I feel the same about Wentworth. I'm not so much hoping for redemption as a heroine who is just as conniving and can give him a run for his money.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading this series because of the torture scenes. How would you rate the violence?
iluvarake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fairly violent but it's more fighting than torture in this one.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
I stopped reading this series because of the torture scenes. How would you rate the violence?

The torture scenes bother me as well, so I usually skim them. I would never give up a Clare book...especially this series, which I love, because of those scenes. I haven't read this one yet, but hope to get to it soon.

As for Wentworth...yes, I would hope for his book. He is awful, but seems to be redeemable.
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamela Clare's Defiant Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:

I'm a little extra worried this time because her afterword seemed very goodbye-ish. She is going to write more in the series, isn't she? I want to read Joseph's story and most of all I want to see her redeem Wentworth. I've been hoping for that since the first book. He's a wretch, but there's something about him that just won't let me give up hope.

I share your worry about future historicals from this author as she seems much more interested in the suspense books (and they likely sell more, sadly). I LOVE the Colonial period and she really makes it come alive for the reader. I have my doubts, though, that we will see any more books about these characters. But on her website she does mention possible future books about the famliy of her first trilogy (from the author's website):

"The Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy represents my first three books, and perhaps for that reason is very dear to my heart . . . And although there are only three books about this family at this point, I do very much want to expand the trilogy by two to a quintogy. Stay tuned... "
MEK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Defiant today and thought it was great. Pamela Clare tells such a good story. I do hope there are more books to come - please!!! I have reread Surrender, Untamed, and Ride the Fire (from the other series) so often I need new material. Let's hope she does have a story for Wentworth and Joseph in her.

She left Wentworth kind of hanging so maybe there is hope.......
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:

She left Wentworth kind of hanging so maybe there is hope.......

I think that is a good sign. Maybe she's leaving the most difficult character for the last. Has anyone asked her?
Jill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Pamela Clare's Defiant Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Defiant (5 stars) and in my opinion it's the best so far in the series.
Pamela Clare has said there will be more books and the next will be Joseph's story.
MEK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pamela Clare's Defiant Reply with quote

Jill wrote:
I really enjoyed Defiant (5 stars) and in my opinion it's the best so far in the series.
Pamela Clare has said there will be more books and the next will be Joseph's story.

Oh, that's great! More to come.

I love these books. As much fun as it is to read an occasional "guilty pleasure" book and books about rakes, etc... I like this series because the characters are upstanding, true to their values, heroic, romantic, protective of each other, thoughtful in what they do - so many good qualities and characteristics. Its a pleasure to get to know them and root for them as they face the dangers of their time.
avalon.rain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved this one, too! i first read pamela's books when i discovered her I-team series, romantic suspense about investigative journalists in colorado. when i finished those, i moved on to her historicals, the MacKinnon series. they're every bit as detailed as everything else of hers that i've read. i love the MacKinnon brothers, the unusual setting, the knowledgeable discussion of warfare, the luscious love scenes, and the ambiguous character, Wentworth! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: