AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who are the authors on your do not buy list?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have authors whose books I will buy and authors I will only borrow from the library. If I have a "do not read ever again" list it's usually these old school kind of writers, the ones with the raping and the heroes Lord Chauvinist and Lord Misogynist. And Lisa Valdez, she of the gigantic penis fetish.
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:
Salaisuus wrote:
Then I tried Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, because the setting is local to me, and could not make it past the second time she wrote "the 5" to name the main north-south highway instead of using what we really call it around here, I-5. And if I read one more story where people from an island in the San Juans are casually taking the ferry over to shop in Pike Place Market, I may give up reading altogether.

Isn't this solely a Californiaism? I never heard of it before visiting my sister in CA, and since then, I've seen it in other books about east coast states. Sorry, it's I-80, I-95, etc. etc. :)

I live in Washington State and we call it I-5 here. When charming Canadians visit, they refer to it to I-5 (or at least all the lost people I have talked to with Canadian plates have done so - both referred to it as I-5 and been charming).
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
If I have a "do not read ever again" list it's usually these old school kind of writers, the ones with the raping and the heroes Lord Chauvinist and Lord Misogynist. And Lisa Valdez, she of the gigantic penis fetish.

I'm right there with you on this one. I read Valdez's first book and couldn't get past the whole rearrange human anatomy thing that was going on.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaisuus wrote:
jaime wrote:
If I have a "do not read ever again" list it's usually these old school kind of writers, the ones with the raping and the heroes Lord Chauvinist and Lord Misogynist. And Lisa Valdez, she of the gigantic penis fetish.

I'm right there with you on this one. I read Valdez's first book and couldn't get past the whole rearrange human anatomy thing that was going on.

Ha. Indeed. And super-sized penis battering female cervix doesn't equal ecstasy but agony.
JRB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand JR Ward. I read Dark Lover and went between laughing at the hilariousness that was these "tough alpha males" and cringing at the weak annoying females. I tried again with Lover Awakened only because everyone else was loving these books so I'm thinking "what is wrong with me?" That was ok but after attempting to read Lover whatever (the one with virgin or celibate hero) I was done. Maybe it would've been better read in the right order but I doubt it. While reading these books I kept hearing the song Wicked Sensitive Crew by the Dropkick Murphy in my head. Love that song and having that song in my head is the best thing about reading her books.

" Well it's all gone to hell now, the wimps have gangs. Pop-punk tough guys, neck tattoos. If you guys are hard, then I'd rather be soft. Man, I gotta find me some seriously sensitive dudes!" -Dropkick Murphys
Just in case you heathens don't know that song. Smile
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JRB"]I can't stand JR Ward. I read Dark Lover and went between laughing at the hilariousness that was these "tough alpha males" and cringing at the weak annoying females. [/quote]

I don't care for her books either. I just thought I was not on the right wavelength. Everyone raves about how great they are and they just left me bored. And why on earth can't she just call boots what they are? Once I noticed how often she used the word I could not stop seeing it and it was very distracting.

This is such a great thread. LOL. I always feel like I am the only one who doesn't like some authors. It is great that there is so much variety out there so we all find something we like. But wow, when I don't like something, I really don't...
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaisuus wrote:
jaime wrote:

True. I used to love Bertrice Small back in the 80's, and I can't fathom reading her now. Plus some of the earlier books I loved, loved, loved (Coulter, "Whitney, My Love") and have gone back to read as a more mature person? Nope. If I'm looking for books on a special title list, I tend to not go in search of anything prior to the early 90's. Anything earlier, with a few exceptions, seems to be "old-style" romance (AH Alpha hero and helpless heroine).

Judy

Judy
desiderata

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR Ward -- I liked her first 3 books and when they were first published they were sort of new and different. I don't recall the name of Vischous' (sp?) book, but the resolution was over the top ridiculous. At about the 4th book the gangsta vampire brotherhood, stupid names, stupid spelling of names, incomplete sentences, overuse of ... , and the overall affectedness of her writing became very tiresome and I was done with JR Ward.

Beatrice Small -- I tried a couple of her books years ago and couldn't finish either of them. Stephanie Laurens -- I read a couple of her novels and I think she just changes the names and physical descriptions of the h/h and churns out another. There are more, but I can't recall right now. My auto do not buy list is far longer than my auto buy list.
robiform

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an anthology years ago that featured a Bertrice Small novella. Everything about it was awful, (most especially, her use of the phrase "love juices" in every other paragraph!) and I've never read anything by her since then.

On the other end of the "steaminess" scale, after reading a Debbie Macomber novel (I don't remember the title, but most of the story was set in Mexico), I realized that I like something warmer in my romance reading than the kind of material that Macomber writes. I know that she's very popular with many readers, but she's just not my cup of tea!

There has been fiction by authors that I've liked (e.g. Linda Howard, Karen Robards, and yes, even Diana Gabaldon) which after I finished reading it, I wondered who had kidnapped the person who normally wrote novels that I liked! Wink I suppose I'm more inclined to give those authors another chance after reading one of their "lemons" than an author whose work I've never read, and where my first encounter with their writing was "thumbs down"!
Noelinya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the authors in my do-not-read list (even if someone give them to me) are Kris Kennedy, Diana Gabaldon, Megan Hart, Judith Ivory, Elizabeth Young, Bertrice Small. I've read a cpouple of books from each one, and I don't like what they do and how they write it
tuga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consciously avoid Laurel K Hamilton, I've never read her but so many people say she gets worse and it's too much sex I don't even want to try it.

Brenda Joyce, I've read two books by her, different genres, same old stupidity and unbelievable scenes, never again.

Now, there are many more I've given up on, but it's not like I avoid them...lol
erhea13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaisuus wrote:
JudyZ6666 wrote:
Salaisuus wrote:
Then I tried Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor, because the setting is local to me, and could not make it past the second time she wrote "the 5" to name the main north-south highway instead of using what we really call it around here, I-5. And if I read one more story where people from an island in the San Juans are casually taking the ferry over to shop in Pike Place Market, I may give up reading altogether.

Isn't this solely a Californiaism? I never heard of it before visiting my sister in CA, and since then, I've seen it in other books about east coast states. Sorry, it's I-80, I-95, etc. etc. Smile

I live in Washington State and we call it I-5 here. When charming Canadians visit, they refer to it to I-5 (or at least all the lost people I have talked to with Canadian plates have done so - both referred to it as I-5 and been charming).

In SoCal we refer to it as "the 5".
Pop Tart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't stand JR Ward. I read Dark Lover and went between laughing at the hilariousness that was these "tough alpha males" and cringing at the weak annoying females. I tried again with Lover Awakened only because everyone else was loving these books so I'm thinking "what is wrong with me?" That was ok but after attempting to read Lover whatever (the one with virgin or celibate hero) I was done.

JR Ward is also on my do not buy (don't even check out from the library) for these reasons. The tough alpha males are all pretty much the same guy and I hated that she'd have a female be strong as a supporting character in one book and then she's weakened when she gets her own book. I read books for the heroines and Ward's just don't work for me.

Since Garwood switched to suspense she's moved to my do not buy/check out list as well. For a while I was checking her books out of the library thinking that I should like them since I love many of her historicals, but no go.
r00chick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erhea13 wrote:
Salaisuus wrote:
JudyZ6666 wrote:
Salaisuus wrote:

Isn't this solely a Californiaism? I never heard of it before visiting my sister in CA, and since then, I've seen it in other books about east coast states. Sorry, it's I-80, I-95, etc. etc. Smile

In SoCal we refer to it as "the 5".

Yep, we call it "the 5" here in San Diego too. I've also lived in LA before and we also call it "the 5 " there. In fact, no one ever emphasize the "I" in front of any interstate highways here. We always just call them "the (insert number)". Actually, it would be weird to hear someone call it the "I-5" here in SoCal.
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00chick wrote:

Yep, we call it "the 5" here in San Diego too. I've also lived in LA before and we also call it "the 5 " there. In fact, no one ever emphasize the "I" in front of any interstate highways here. We always just call them "the (insert number)". Actually, it would be weird to hear someone call it the "I-5" here in SoCal.

Yes, but that's what I mean. It's when authors who are used to the California usage use it elsewhere, with characters who are supposed to be from elsewhere. I've lived in CT, PA, VA, GA, and FL, and I-95 is I-95. Not "the 95." Not "the I-95." Just "I'm taking I-95 from Philly to DC."

That said, it's fine. I won't not like the book. I'd probably experience the same issue over the misnaming of a hoagie, but, oh well. Smile

Judy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: