AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read April/May/June/July
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook

What a wonderful book. Cook also wrote Must Love Dogs some years ago. She's such a good writer and her stuff is very funny. Deirdre works for her famous guru brother, but she wants to spread her wings and get away from her family to do things on her own. She ends up as a replacement on DWTS and there begins her new road in life. Such a great story; I really loved it. But then I enjoy Cook's wriiting and this one did not disappoint.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naked Edge by Pamela Clare
This is my second Clare book, and while I did not enjoy it as much as Unlawful Pursuit, it still was a good solid read. She really is a talented writer who does an exceptional job of balancing suspense and romance. Was detracted from this book was that she dragged out the big reveal re: the hero's past relationships too long. B
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Maidens Mourn C.S. Harris

This 7th and latest Sebastian St. Cyr book came out earlier in the year, but I put it off until summer as a special treat. I had read a few so-so reviews of this here on AAR and Amazon as well so I really wasn't expecting it to be much. Surprisingly, I liked this one better than the one before When Shadows Dance. That last one, with the over-the-top way that Hero dispatched the bad guys was a little much for me.

I really liked this one, especially how some things are coming to light about Sebastian's roots. I also like the evolution of the relationship between Sebastian and Hero. And I especially like that the story hasn't just swept his feelings for Kat under the rug. He was getting a little emo for me in previous books, but this last one really did speak to how you can love more than one person.

SPOILER-IFIC!

The only thing that I keep wondering about is the whole birthright thing....? I'll admit I don't know much about polite English society, nevermind during the Regency era, but if Sebastian wasn't Hendon's son, wouldn't the St. Cyr money and titles be passed on to his sister Amanda's kids? Her son especially? Can anyone answer that for me?? Anyone, Bueller? Smile
PatW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

The only thing that I keep wondering about is the whole birthright thing....? I'll admit I don't know much about polite English society, nevermind during the Regency era, but if Sebastian wasn't Hendon's son, wouldn't the St. Cyr money and titles be passed on to his sister Amanda's kids? Her son especially? Can anyone answer that for me?? Anyone, Bueller? Smile

Haven't read the book so not sure of specific question.

Nothing descends through the female line "normally". However if a child is born to a married couple it is assumed to be legimate.

Normal line of descent if no sons
father's brother
father's brother's sons
grandfather's brother
grandfather's brother's sons...

Hope this helps
LordRose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

I hadn't read the book either, but I do know a bit about English inheritance.

As long as the child is born to a married couple the child is assumed to be legitimate, unless the husband goes through rather complex legal moves to have the children officially declared bastards.

The only time a title goes down the female line is for certain old baronies and earldoms, in which case an only daughter can inherit the title in her own right, and then eventually pass it on to her (legitimate) sons/only daughter. (The husband gets nothing.) It has to be an only daughter, though, because under English law daughters were considered to have the same right to the title, regardless of birtn order. So if there were more than one, the title would go into abeyance and no one would get the title unless the monarch decided in one person's favor.

The way inheritance works for most titles, though, the title goes to the last title-holder's sons/direct male descendants, and if there aren't any, then the title-holder before him's sons/direct male descendants, and so on until you get to the first title-holder.
jebe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ladies, that does help a bit. The father hasn't publicly denounced Sebastian, I'm assuming that he wants the title and name's legacy to continue even though Sebastian isn't his biological son.
LordRose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
Thanks, ladies, that does help a bit. The father hasn't publicly denounced Sebastian, I'm assuming that he wants the title and name's legacy to continue even though Sebastian isn't his biological son.

Even a public denunciation does nothing for legitimacy. If the child has grown to adulthood without being declared a bastard, pretty much the only way to get him illegitimated would be to have his marriage declared null, and that can only occur if there was some problem with the original marriage license, such as having an incorrect age recorded. Otherwise, there would probably be fathers declaring their sons bastards just because they got in a disagreement, and no one wanted that.
HEAreader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravishing the Heiress by Sherry Thomas - A. Read Beguiling the Beauty first to really enjoy this second book of a trilogy. I think this one could be another RITA winner.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Edge of Midnight Leslie Tentler
I had never heard of this romantic suspense author until her book popped up on Amazon while I was researching another RS. I am so glad I found her!

When I read your earlier post regarding this book and Leslie Tentler, I wrote it down and put a hold at the library. I'm about halfway through and am thoroughly enjoying the story and her style of writing. There are some moments in the book where I've had to roll my eyes a bit--things she's attempting to do following her horrendous experiences, both physically and mentally. But what the hell--the author does a great job of telling a tale and I love both characters.

In fact, I have reserved the two books prior to this one and hope they read as well. Although I'm not finished with Edge of Midnight, I am engrossed enough to know I will complete it. Thanks again for the rec.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Edge of Night by Jill Sorenson
Loved it! Great romantic suspense. Very interesting look into Gang culture. Characters were very likeable and there was a very strong 2nd romance.
A!!!
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: The de Montforte Series - Danelle Harmon Reply with quote

Thanks to a "revisit" from AAR, I picked up this older series that was just released in ebook format. I really liked all 4 books and give the series a solid "A." The Georgian setting was a welcome departure from the Regency, the characters were well-developed, and the stories interesting. I especially enjoyed the strong, intelligent, independent women who avoided being fiesty!

Books can be read as stand alones but I would recommend the series:
The Wild One
The Beloved One
The Defiant One
The Wicked One

I understand from her website that after a 12-year absence from writing, Harmon is working on book 5 in the series - Perry and Nerissa's story. Hope that comes to pass.
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The de Montforte Series - Danelle Harmon Reply with quote

I am really enjoying BROKEN HARBOUR by Tana French. Not a romance but so far a superior mystery/thriller.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
maggie b. wrote:
Edge of Midnight Leslie Tentler
I had never heard of this romantic suspense author until her book popped up on Amazon while I was researching another RS. I am so glad I found her!

When I read your earlier post regarding this book and Leslie Tentler, I wrote it down and put a hold at the library. I'm about halfway through and am thoroughly enjoying the story and her style of writing. There are some moments in the book where I've had to roll my eyes a bit--things she's attempting to do following her horrendous experiences, both physically and mentally. But what the hell--the author does a great job of telling a tale and I love both characters.

In fact, I have reserved the two books prior to this one and hope they read as well. Although I'm not finished with Edge of Midnight, I am engrossed enough to know I will complete it. Thanks again for the rec.

Glad you are enjoying it, Tee. I love finding new authors in RS and I think she is a good one.

maggie b.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The de Montforte Series - Danelle Harmon Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
I am really enjoying BROKEN HARBOUR by Tana French. Not a romance but so far a superior mystery/thriller.

I'm really looking forward to this one.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminal by Karin Slaughter

Wonderful, fabulous. I loved this story. Had to get past a certain point in the book, though, for this feeling. From the beginning, she was doing a lot of flip-flopping between 1975 and present day. At first, I found myself getting a bit dizzy, but it did kick in. After that, it was difficult to put the book down. How can such a flawed individual as Will become my #1 hero. Similar to Archie in the Chelsea Cain's novels, except Will is so much more warm. But as I said, he couldn't be more mixed up at times.

I cannot wait for the next one in this series. Slaughter continues to fascinate me with her writing and stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: