AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ravishing the Heiress
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Ravishing the Heiress Reply with quote

I have to say, I disagree with Jean's assessment of Hastings and Helena's relationship bringing down RtH. That relationship was begun in the first book--it is crucial to the plot of the first book--and it has organically developed.

I think it would be hard to get the most out of RtH without having read Beguiling the Beauty. These three books are written as a set of interlocked stories--they are designed to flow into each other.

I also love Hastings and Helena--I think she's so unhappy and it's clear he will help her find her true self and, then, joy in life again.
happylibrarian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dabney. I enjoyed the introduction to Helena and Hastings but I REALLY enjoyed the brief glimpses into the lives of Venetia and Christian. And, of course, the love story of Millie and Fitz!
One can't help but notice that some reviewers on other sites are unhappy about the length of Beguiling and Ravishing. I absolutely loved both these books as is. But I would have loved to spend more time with the characters because I loved them so much. They were written in such a heartfelt way...it wasn't so much about the physical as it was about the souls of these people. Just lovely. And written so beautifully. Sorry to gush.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why readers, especially reviewers on blogs or sites like this, only read one book when something is written as part of a series. Especially in this case when it's a trilogy meant to be a pre-course, a main course, and an after-course.

That's why this review doesn't have much value for me. The reviewer is reviewing with incomplete information.
Dabney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
I don't understand why readers, especially reviewers on blogs or sites like this, only read one book when something is written as part of a series. Especially in this case when it's a trilogy meant to be a pre-course, a main course, and an after-course.

That's why this review doesn't have much value for me. The reviewer is reviewing with incomplete information.

As a reviewer and a reader, I must disagree with you. I think sometimes a new eye is critical to assessing the caliber of an author's work. I think the problem arises when a reviewer is critical of things that make more sense in the context of the series.

In the case of this review, Jean made it clear she hadn't read BtB and thus, to me, is justified in her criticisms. Not all readers want to read all of a series and I think it's great to have some reviews of series books that judge a book on its own merits.

I, however, have read the series and so I feel equally justified putting forth a different perspective. I think both are of value to readers.
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabney wrote:
jaime wrote:

As a reviewer and a reader, I must disagree with you. I think sometimes a new eye is critical to assessing the caliber of an author's work. I think the problem arises when a reviewer is critical of things that make more sense in the context of the series.

In the case of this review, Jean made it clear she hadn't read BtB and thus, to me, is justified in her criticisms. Not all readers want to read all of a series and I think it's great to have some reviews of series books that judge a book on its own merits.

I, however, have read the series and so I feel equally justified putting forth a different perspective. I think both are of value to readers.

I disagree. This reviewer is not "a new eye". It's clear from her review that she is familiar with Thomas' writing in general. I give you it would have been interesting had this been her first Thomas romance ever.

But these three books are supposed to complement each other and flow into each other.

So a review from somebody who has read all three would be more valuable to me.

Last edited by jaime on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaneO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I think any book in a series should be able to stand alone. If there is an ongoing subplot, the segment of it that appears in each book should make sense on its own.

It's foolish of an author to assume that readers will buy and read all the books in a series. Many will come to the series late, and if the book they pick up is unsatisfying, they aren't going to bother with the others.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Jean's dislike for the subplot intruding into the main couple's story time, her review of Ravishing the Heiress was actually quite a ringing endorsement of the novel. I already planned to read and it and so reading her review this morning actually made me look forward to it even more.
erika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the heroine of RtH waited patiently 8 yeas for the hero? Was his best friend and gave advice on his girlfriends. Never dating or falling for anyone else??? She sounds like a saint!
Dabney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
So the heroine of RtH waited patiently 8 yeas for the hero? Was his best friend and gave advice on his girlfriends. Never dating or falling for anyone else??? She sounds like a saint!

She's not a saint. The waiting was, originally, her idea. It's so well-done in the book, you completely buy it.
erika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabney wrote:
erika wrote:

She's not a saint. The waiting was, originally, her idea. It's so well-done in the book, you completely buy it.

I might get this just because the hero is no saint.
erika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious if this author is so liked here because of her unconventional heroines? I looked at Thomas's backlist and noticed she doesn't do traditional heroines.
mirole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
Curious if this author is so liked here because of her unconventional heroines? I looked at Thomas's backlist and noticed she doesn't do traditional heroines.

Nope, for me it's not the reason why I like her. I don't look for unconventional heroines in romance.

I, personally, love her because of her writing. I have only read two books, Private Arrangements and Beguiling the Beauty, and the plots of both, particularly the latter, are pretty contrived. Yet Ms Thomas is so talented, she makes it work both times.
Not Quite Nicole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ready to bypass this book based on the 8 year thing, but the review made me put it on hold at the library.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read both BtB and RtH. Aside from the fact I do agree with Dabney about Helena/Hastings, I do believe Jean's review was spot on. I'll comment more after the book is out but think it is one of her best!
JMM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the hero sleep with other women at all during the book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: