AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
"No One Left to Tell" by Karen Rose...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: "No One Left to Tell" by Karen Rose... Reply with quote

It's amazing how an author begins her writing career with an excellent book, and just gets better as she goes along. What's better than excellent? Karen Rose has done it again and I believe it's her best one yet. It's over 500 pages, but I didn't want to quit reading last night. Once the words begin to blur, I sort of rethought that and finished it today.

The book is No One Left to Tell and it held me right to the end. Some previous characters return in this one, but you would not get lost if you haven't read any of her earlier stuff. There are some connections here that make sense if you've read her before, but not necessary to this story in the scheme of things.

The relationship between Paige and Grayson seems to work in spite of the fact that they just met. Usually, I'm wary of those kinds of bondings, but Rose made this one believable. I think, too, that she gave equal time to the romance vs the suspense, not always an easy thing to do and still keep the story authentic.

I read someplace that this is her 13th novel. IMO, all of them have been great reading, obviously some better than others. But, honestly, for me, there has not been one bad one in the bunch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BarbaraSD



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this positive review. I'll check it out. I have enjoyed her novels but kinda stopped reading them because the were so ... what's the right word ... not icky, but left me with an uncomfortable feeling. Can't remember the title but the women were being buried?

Anyway, I will certainly give this new one of hers a consideration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1044
Location: Washington DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, too. The police procedural aspect in her books is very believable and her mysteries are cleverly and tightly constructed. Her books are a thrill ride and I always want to go back and find the clues I missed the first time. I wasn't crazy about her moving her books to Baltimore but it turns out I have no complaints. She's certainly familiar with the area after living in Maryland for years.

I have listened to all of Rose's books in audio format. Highly recommend! My top pick remains the Vartanian trilogy because I think Daniel Vartanian is one of the finest, most stalwart romance heroes ever written and also because of Tavia Gilbert's outstanding narration.
_________________
Diana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrsFairfax



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask you if you'd gotten to this yet. I wasn't crazy about the last one - the heroine's secret life seemed silly to me - so I've been abnormally sluggish about hunting this one down. On your recommendation, I'll go get it today.
_________________
Binocular vision, no need to hop, and an ever-so-much easier time of it climbing ladders.
- James Cobham in Freedom & Necessity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsFairfax wrote:
I was going to ask you if you'd gotten to this yet. I wasn't crazy about the last one - the heroine's secret life seemed silly to me - so I've been abnormally sluggish about hunting this one down. On your recommendation, I'll go get it today.

As long as you don't have thoughts of boiling me in oil if expectations aren't met. Smile But I thought she did well with this one. For those who don't like the nitty-gritty details, she did a fair job with going around them. I enjoyed the relationship, as well as the characters. Paige was sensible enough when she had to be and Grayson worked well. Let me know your thoughts; I can take it! Very Happy

BarbaraSD, the same applies to you. It would be interesting to hear your take on it also if you end up reading it.

And, Diana, I've yet to hear a book in audio. I know MrsFairfax enjoys many books that way. One of these days, I'll have to try it. I guess I just enjoy a book in my hand. I have a cataract that appears to be moving along and my vision in that eye keeps changing every three months or so. I'm finding some print difficult to focus on and I get antsy when reading for long periods. Maybe it's time for trying some audio or at least until the cataract is taken care of! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Manda



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 589

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this one too, Tee. A lot. I really love that she's getting more romance into these longer books. One my favorite character's was Paige's dog. We're getting some really great pooches in romantic suspense these days!
_________________
Manda Collins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MEK



Joined: 09 Dec 2010
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read this author yet. What would you suggest starting with? Favorites?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BarbaraSD



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love audio books. My problem is my car is old enough to still have a tape player and it is difficult to find books on tape (I'm somewhat successful through my Friends of the Library). Driving my car is the only time I listen to audio books. And my goodness! CD books are expensive!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1044
Location: Washington DC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:
I have not read this author yet. What would you suggest starting with? Favorites?


What's your tolerance level for graphic violence? Rose is a crime fiction writer who doesn't shy away from the crimes. In some of her books it's more on page than others. My favorite trilogy is Die for Me, Scream for Me, Kill for Me. The villain is a sadist and the body count is high, make that really high. I love the law enforcement characters. They are so honorable and committed.

These three are her bloodiest books but have the strongest writing and incredibly appealing characters. All of her books are good solid crime fiction but the level and frequency of graphic violence is lower in her other ten books.
_________________
Diana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MEK



Joined: 09 Dec 2010
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
MEK wrote:
I have not read this author yet. What would you suggest starting with? Favorites?


What's your tolerance level for graphic violence? Rose is a crime fiction writer who doesn't shy away from the crimes. In some of her books it's more on page than others. My favorite trilogy is Die for Me, Scream for Me, Kill for Me. The villain is a sadist and the body count is high, make that really high. I love the law enforcement characters. They are so honorable and committed.

These three are her bloodiest books but have the strongest writing and incredibly appealing characters. All of her books are good solid crime fiction but the level and frequency of graphic violence is lower in her other ten books.



Thanks, this gives me a place to start. I'm never sure till I try what my tolerance level is. It all depends on the writing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rosario



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 328
Location: Liverpool, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:
Diana wrote:
MEK wrote:
I have not read this author yet. What would you suggest starting with? Favorites?


What's your tolerance level for graphic violence? Rose is a crime fiction writer who doesn't shy away from the crimes. In some of her books it's more on page than others. My favorite trilogy is Die for Me, Scream for Me, Kill for Me. The villain is a sadist and the body count is high, make that really high. I love the law enforcement characters. They are so honorable and committed.

These three are her bloodiest books but have the strongest writing and incredibly appealing characters. All of her books are good solid crime fiction but the level and frequency of graphic violence is lower in her other ten books.



Thanks, this gives me a place to start. I'm never sure till I try what my tolerance level is. It all depends on the writing.


Just for another perspective, while the first book in that trilogy is one of my favourites by Rose, books 2 and 3 I did not like at all, mainly because they felt so claustrophobically and unrelentingly depressing (even though I'd agree with Diana that the main characters are honourable and committed, and I liked them very much). The problem is that they're set in the most corrupt, awful little hellhole town, and I couldn't wait to get out of there.
_________________
My Reading Journal
http://rosario.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MrsFairfax



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably start with Nothing to Fear and You Can't Hide.
_________________
Binocular vision, no need to hop, and an ever-so-much easier time of it climbing ladders.
- James Cobham in Freedom & Necessity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2505

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Rose's books, but I thought this one differed considerably from prior ones. As one poster mentioned, for example, she devoted a lot more space to the romance, a romance which considered by itself was almost a cliche. Further, coincidence, especially coincidence which saved the day, so to speak, played a much larger part in this book than in any of the previous ones--too much so, IMO. The time sequence was remarkably short for all that took place--4 days, 10 1/2 hours--which led me to question whether such a relationship as the h/H had could possibly develop as this one did. The violence, although gruesome enough when one considers it, was muted compared to earlier books. In some instances, I thought the hero's responses to the heroine's martial skills a bit off-putting, as in her confrontation with Rex.

And then--518 pages? It was certainly a complex plot, but I've always thought that one of the things a author ought to do is make complexity less time-consuming than this one was.

Finally, the Carters were almost too saintly.

All in all, not as enjoyable a read as prior books; I don't think it measures up to "I'm Watching You," which, so far, I consider her best. It had some of the same elements, too--the villain with whom we can empathize, e.g.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maggie AAR
Site Admin


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 2489

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this one enough to give it a B+ on my review, Grayson made the book for me - he was just wonderful. And I found myself riveted throughout the novel. I kept turning the pages to see what would happen next.

For me, Rose is a solid writer who always delivers a good story. This was one of her better ones.

maggie b.
_________________
http://maggiebbooksandteas.blogspot.com
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain. - Louisa May Alcott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MrsFairfax



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1069

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

I have listened to all of Rose's books in audio format. Highly recommend! My top pick remains the Vartanian trilogy because I think Daniel Vartanian is one of the finest, most stalwart romance heroes ever written and also because of Tavia Gilbert's outstanding narration.



Aaargh! I got it yesterday and Tavia Gilbert is no longer the narrator. I forgot this about the last book, it's probably one reason why I didn't like it so well - Blackstone Audio's reader is Marguerite Gavin. I hate her. She emphasizes the end of EVERY SENTENCE. I think she thinks it ADDS DRAMA. What it is is FREAKISHLY ANNOYING. And sometimes UNINTENTIONALLY HILARIOUS. But she makes it hard for me to concentrate ON THE STORY. Yipes. Back to the library for the PRINT VERSION.
_________________
Binocular vision, no need to hop, and an ever-so-much easier time of it climbing ladders.
- James Cobham in Freedom & Necessity
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group