AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supporting character love

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Supporting character love Reply with quote

I just finished Liz Carlyle's Never Deceive A Duke and was utterly charmed and delighted by "Mr. Kemble" in addition to really enjoying the book. This is the second Liz Carlyle novel I read, the first was The Devil You Know which I also loved. (So a Liz Carlyle backlist glom is in order).

So I am curious - which are your favorite supporting or secondary characters in romances you have read? Smile
Chez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: The windflower Reply with quote

Still my all tiime favourite secondary character ... Cat from The Windflower by Laura London.

Why, oh why, was his book never written (sigh)
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What immediately popped into my mind are a couple of secondary characters who will have their own books soon. I have been reading Julie Anne Long's Pennyroyal Green series and have been interested in Adam, the clergyman, and so am excited to learn that the next book, A Notorious Countess Confesses, stars him. Also, Pax from Joanna Bourne's most recent novel The Black Hawk will have his own book next.
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The windflower Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Still my all tiime favourite secondary character ... Cat from The Windflower by Laura London.

Why, oh why, was his book never written (sigh)

Oh, yes, Cat. I actually wanted him to end up with the heroine.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the secondary romance between the hero's mother and the supposed villan in Heaven Texas by SEP
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
I enjoyed the secondary romance between the hero's mother and the supposed villan in Heaven Texas by SEP

I think that's the thing I like almost best about many of SEP's books--she generally has a very well-developed secondary romance. I can't think of one that I didn't like, although the Tori/Dexter one in "Lady Be Good" is my favorite. Gotta love a geek. Smile

Mary Balogh has a couple of good ones. The "Web" series is not my favorite by a long shot (I do not know what happened there <g>), but the romance between Jennifer and the injured Lt Allen Penworth in "Web of Love" is very good. In "A Counterfeit Betrothal," the romance between the daughter and her "fake" fiance is a very humourous departure from the more serious situation between the H/h.

As far as what someone else said about couples in books who will have their own books soon...I *like that, very much, if it's a continuing series. But, I don't consider that to be a secondary romance. It's prequel. A grabber. Bait. <g> I have seen books where a secondary romance spanned several books during a trilogy (such as Max and Mom in Susan Mallery's Hendrix Sisters trilogy), but it always stays secondary.

Judy
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely loved the two secondary characters in SEP's Match Me if You Can--Portia and Bodie. What a great pair, and sexy.

Last edited by Tee on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
KataO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Forgiving by LaVyrle Spencer , Adelaide "Addie" Merrit (sister of the heroine) and Robert Baysinger (childhood friend and first love)

In Dream a Little Dream by SEP, Ethan the preacher and don't remember the name of the girl he fell in love.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secondary romance in A Rose At Midnight. The main characters were so angry and dark and flawed. The secondary couple was happy and sweetly in love. It all worked out in the end...of course, but they were a breath of fresh air compared to the feuding main hero and heroine. Great book, anyway.
jaime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I absolutely loved the two secondary characters in SEP's Match Me if You Can--Portia and Bodie. What a great pair, and sexy.

Yes, Bodie and Portia, I like them.

Three more supporting characters in Linda Howard books I find interesting:

The guy who pretends to be gay and gives Daisy her make-over in Open Season. And in the same book, the secondary villain (not the mayor, the smart one). And in another Linda Howard novel whose title I can't remember, it's the one where the whole town is under siege, the one bad guy who gets away at the end.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other things Eloisa James does well is create secondary characters (in fact, I sometimes like them more than the primary hero and heroine). In Much Ado About You, I thought Ms. Pythian-Adams, in all her perfectionist splendor, was a hoot as she tried to lose her horse-mad fiance by quoting Shakespeare at him. I was very happy when she got a romance of her own in The Taming of the Duke, with another secondary character who I thought was more complex, more unusual, more fun, and simply more attractive than the hero of that book.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
Tee wrote:

Yes, Bodie and Portia, I like them.

Three more supporting characters in Linda Howard books I find interesting:

The guy who pretends to be gay and gives Daisy her make-over in Open Season. And in the same book, the secondary villain (not the mayor, the smart one). And in another Linda Howard novel whose title I can't remember, it's the one where the whole town is under siege, the one bad guy who gets away at the end.

That's Cover of Night, which very few people except me seem to like. And yes, I also liked the not-so-bad bad guy who got away.
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudyZ6666 wrote:
...I think that's the thing I like almost best about many of SEP's books--she generally has a very well-developed secondary romance...

The difference in reading tastes is an amazing thing to me. Back before I stopped reading SEP's books when I was enjoying them, the thing I did not like at all were the secondary stories. I thought some were woven into the overall story better than others, but most of the time I just felt shuffled back and forth between two couples; and the only one I really liked was Ethan and Kristy, where Rachel's son is in their daycare, and Kristy breaks loose with some Rachel help. A better blended story in other words. JMO
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Supporting character love Reply with quote

Olivia from Lord Perfect.

Best,
Lilly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: