AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Dawn - I'm so mad at author Sandra Brown
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Another Dawn - I'm so mad at author Sandra Brown Reply with quote

**********************SPOILER ALERT FOR SUNSET EMBRACE & ANOTHER DAWN************************

Who kills off the hero of the book in it's sequel? Author Sandra Brown does. I"LL NEVER READ ANOTHER SANDRA BROWN BOOK!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

I loved the hero Ross in Sunset Embrace but why did author Sandra Brown have to kill him off in the sequel Another Dawn? It made me feel sick and I cried Crying or Very sad . Why didn't she give Ross & Lydia their HEA and just leave them alone. My gosh poor Lydia starts out in this series so sad and pitiful (raped by her step brother then all alone in the woods giving birth to a stillborn baby) and ends up alone, sad and heartbroken at the end of Another Dawn. The only people that would enjoy Another Dawn are the readers who didn't read Sunset Embrace and fall in love with Ross and Lydia. What a terrible way to end the series. I wish I never read Another Dawn. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Viking Princess on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
carolydixon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so right. The joy of reading good romance is the happy ending...with H/H that stay forever young.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thanks for the warning.

I usually read SB's standalones anyway.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read those two books a long time ago. Although I thought the second book began a bit on the sad side, I felt it ended up being a very good story overall. The relationship worked for me and life in covered wagons (I think that's what it was about) wasn't all that secure then. Both books were in my top 100 of all time.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was so wrong wasnít it? Iíve never forgiven her for that either. It completely ruined both books for me, the second when it happened and the first for knowing what was coming.

And as bad as that was, theirs is another author who did even WORSE! She killed off both the hero AND the heroine of the previous book in the sequel. Rosanne Bittner wrote a book I really enjoyed, though Iím blanking on the name and I was delighted when I saw there was a sequel with their son. Then very early in the book we find out the previous heroine died either by drowning or in childbirth, again canít remember exactly which and the previous hero was crushed by a wagon.

Who does this???? These are romance books and while bad things may happen to secondary characters, the main ones in romance arenít supposed to die!!

Although I read quite a few more of Ms. Bittnerís books after that, alas, the trust was broken.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
I read those two books a long time ago. Although I thought the second book began a bit on the sad side, I felt it ended up being a very good story overall. The relationship worked for me and life in covered wagons (I think that's what it was about) wasn't all that secure then. Both books were in my top 100 of all time.

I agree Tee, I ended up liking the overall story too. I read this when I was pretty new to the genre, so I wasn't as shocked as a long time romance reader might be. It was very, very sad though, almost as sad as The Time Traveler's wife...at least to me, and that scene was a kleenex box moment for me. I did like the book though, and went on to read many, many Sandra Brown books. This is the only book(that I know of) by Brown, where a character so loved, dies.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a recent topic about these two Brown books. I don't remember who the posters were, but several mentioned that they were going to read Another Dawn. Now, I didn't have a problem with Ross dying at the beginning, but I knew that many readers did. I was tempted to warn the newbies, but decided not to. Did I make the right decision?

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I agree Tee, I ended up liking the overall story too. I read this when I was pretty new to the genre, so I wasn't as shocked as a long time romance reader might be.

I too was fairly new to the genre at the time, so maybe I didn't quite get that all romance stories followed a formula. But, then, even though I felt badly in one of Karin Slaughter's novels when she offed the hero, I didn't react by not reading any future books by her. She still remains one of my very favorite suspense authors and she writes darn good stories. I guess it goes back to that "author's license" or some such thing. Their stories, their choices, readers' options.
Viking Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right KayWebbHarrison there is a post here on AAR about Sunset Embrace and Another Dawn. http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10345&highlight=
That's how I discovered them.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:

I too was fairly new to the genre at the time, so maybe I didn't quite get that all romance stories followed a formula. But, then, even though I felt badly in one of Karin Slaughter's novels when she offed the hero, I didn't react by not reading any future books by her. She still remains one of my very favorite suspense authors and she writes darn good stories. I guess it goes back to that "author's license" or some such thing. Their stories, their choices, readers' options.

I totally agree Tee. I don't have a problem with death, although I'm a big cry baby, so the result is not pretty. )
jaime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that sucks! Romances are the one genre where one ought to be able to count on a HEA that sticks.

Are these two of Sandra Brown's early books? I only know her suspense novels.

I recall Anne Stuart did that in one of her early novels too. And I believe people were very upset about that too.
msaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Another Dawn and Sunset Embrace Reply with quote

I really liked both Sunset Embrace and Another Dawn, and remember being quite sad and surprised when Ross died - but being the vengeful person I am, I was glad the perpetrator got his just deserts. I took the same view as Tee did - life in those times wasn't that secure then - look, even Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband) died of typhoid. People have to die sometime and I rationalised that Ross and Lydia did have over 20 years of HEA. Life expectancy in those days for men (especially ex-gun fighters) was probably not more than in the 50s range.

Sandra Brown is a good writer and I continue to enjoy her many books. She hasn't killed off any other hero since that I can recall. She wrote mainly romantic suspense after those early romances.

I remember one book I was very sad about was Mrs Mike (AAR has a lovely DIK review here http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4969 ) - this is a beautiful story but (spoiler in white font) the hero and heroine's children died of diphteria in a time and place when there was no vaccine or antibiotic I would recommend this book highly nevertheless as the DIK review says, although there is sadness, love triumphs. I think this can be true of Another Dawn as well - in the end, love does triumph.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
There was a recent topic about these two Brown books. I don't remember who the posters were, but several mentioned that they were going to read Another Dawn. Now, I didn't have a problem with Ross dying at the beginning, but I knew that many readers did. I was tempted to warn the newbies, but decided not to. Did I make the right decision?

Yes, I believe you made the right decision, Kay. I would not have said anything either. Some people like spoilers; others don't. You can't know and it's always safe to err on the right side of it.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both books were published in 1985. I never read them since I didn't like her straight romance after trying a few. However, I love everything she's written since ENVY in 2001. She does not write to romance formula but she hasn't killed off any favorite characters either. If you like romantic suspense you should forgive her for that misstep 27 years ago. Just remember 2001 and later.
Wink
erika

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both SB books the year they were published. At the time I had no hot buttons so I recall not being overly bothered by the hero's death. Now I won't go near either books. I like a H/h hea to stay hea in any sequel.
Thank goodness for the internet so now readers won't be blindsided by a H/h death.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: