AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grizzly vs. grisly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Grizzly vs. grisly Reply with quote

I love Linda Castillo's mysteries set in the Amish Country and fully expect to buy this one. Thank you, AAR, for reviewing it. However, in the review you use a word that often get misused and, forgive an old English major, it always gets to me. In describing something that is horrible, ghastly or bloody the word is "grisly". The word grizzly only refers to the bear of the same name.
JMM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one who noticed that! Smile

I like this series; I'm glad to read books about Amish that don't ROMANTISIZE them to death. How pure, how noble, how wonderful their way of life is...
PatW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I noticed is that this review is for the book published last July. I was hoping for the review for Gone Missing, due out late this month.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Grizzly vs. grisly Reply with quote

Linda wrote:
... In describing something that is horrible, ghastly or bloody the word is "grisly"...

Thanks. In looking at a dictionary I also saw "gristly" between the two words you mentioned, so one has a choice between ghastly or gruesome, fibrous or stringy, or somewhat gray or hoary. Language--ain't it grand? Hope we don't lose too much of it.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMM wrote:
I thought I was the only one who noticed that! Smile

No. I noticed it, too. But I have to say, the review got me interested. I think I'll have to check this one out. Thanks, Linnie. (My dh doesn't thank you Embarassed )

Elizabeth
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...obviously I didn't noticed it since I typed it. Embarassed I can't edit the reviews once they're posted, but I'm sure an editor will correct it soon. Thanks. Embarassed

I definitely intend to read the latest once it comes out. I'd be curious for opinions on the first two in the series if anyone has read them. I read this for a book group and we read the third but not the first two. One person in the group had read all three and thought the first two were actually better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: