AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Proposal by Mary Balogh
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holly Bush

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
The large amount of internalizing reminded me of some of her better trads; Balogh, better than any other, describes--disects, if you will--the ins and outs of particular types and makes a reader empathize with them even when they're not very likeable.

It would be interesting, I think, to get Balogh and Laurens together to discuss the value of creating a society and expanding it rather than shifting off to another with each book. And watching them do it provides considerable entertainment.

Disect is a good description of what Balogh does to her characters in order for her readers to be completely engaged and is much of the reason she is my favorite author.

Oh dear! How interesting! Are you proposing the Bedwyns meet the Cynsters? It would be fascinating!
Train Station Bride
Reconstructing Jackson
Cross the Ocean
Charming the Duke
Red, White & Screwed
Holly Bush

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
After trying (and failing) to get through FSofG, I went immediately to "The Proposal" by Mary Balogh.

And it was a soothing balm after the previous reading mess.

What a segue from FSofG to Balogh! I have not read Fifty Shades and probably won't based on some comments from reviewers I trust but good for those folks that love the story.
Train Station Bride
Reconstructing Jackson
Cross the Ocean
Charming the Duke
Red, White & Screwed
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm plowing through this book right now. It's not exactly boring (or I would have simply abandon it, I don't have much patience with my reading these days) but it didn't hook me up the way some other Balogh's book did. There's just something about the hero's blunt manner that rubs me the wrong way. I guess I'm more of a fan of roguish charm (Kit from A Summer to Remember) or calm elegance (Wulfric from Slightly Dangerous).

Really, would a man with the middle class background talk openly about lust with the lady he'd just met? First of all, he's been in the aristocratic circles for a while and had to know at least the basic of good manners, and secondly, from what I remember, middle class in general was more prudish than aristocracy (it's actually mentioned in the book at some point).
dick

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Natalie: But doesn't the opening of the book suggest that all of the members of the Survivors' Club are unusual in that regard? The comments they make to one another, even though supposedly in jest, are brutally frank, even when Lady Barclay is present. And wouldn't a man who led--and survived--the Forlorn Hope on Badajoz be likely to eschew such niceties as you speak of? To me, that he blurts out what comes to mind at the moment fits his characterization well.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but she wasn't his friend at that time.
PWNN

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dick. Years in the army, in brutal war trumps middle class prudishness - there's not much place for it. Now would that affect how he speaks to a woman of a certain class outside of a shared war experience, maybe - but then she's also an older widow and not an ingenue and he's currently surrounded by people of similar experience which probably also makes him freer with thoughts and language.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely finished the book. Didn't like the hero at all and there were no new interesting elements.

However, the returning characters made me want to reread their books. So I grabbed a copy of A Summer to Remember (Lauren's book) and it was just as great as I'd remember it was! I think I'm going to reread Freyja's and Wulfric's books. I think Balogh was in her peak form when she wrote that series and connected novels.
carolydixon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a really good read. The supporting cast was as interesting as the H/H.
Holly Bush

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Dark Angel, Balogh's rerelease packaged up with Lord Carew's Bride.
Train Station Bride
Reconstructing Jackson
Cross the Ocean
Charming the Duke
Red, White & Screwed
MEK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly Bush wrote:
Just started Dark Angel, Balogh's rerelease packaged up with Lord Carew's Bride.

These are by far two of my favorite Balogh books. Happy reading!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: