AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Theme: Heroine takes care of the wounded/sick hero??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Theme: Heroine takes care of the wounded/sick hero?? Reply with quote

I just finished reading THE SERPENT PRINCE and I was bowled over by it...loved the book so much...Simon was such a sweetheart and Lucy is truly an angel...at times I couldnt stop my eyes from watering...it was such a touching,angsty and sensual romance...
Any suggestions for romance novels similar to the above theme ??? Smile
LordRose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read The Serpent Prince in a while, so I can't remember precisely what happened in it, but these books, as far as I remember, all include periods where the hero is wounded/sick and the heroine takes care of him.

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas includes this, after the hero is shot.

Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn (although mostly I was laughing at the fact that it was all over a sprained ankle;;; )

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head, but I'll see what else I can come up with.

EDIT: Adding some more.

The Rogue's Return (I think?) by Jo Beverley. I think the heroine used maggots to help cure him. Kinda gross, but it does stick with a person.

Viscount Breckenridge to the Rescue by Stephanie Laurens. The hero is gored by a bull, after he rescues the heroine who was pushed into the bull's pen by mischievous little children. But it's all fate! Okay if you like Stephanie Laurens, I guess, but after reading the Cynster sisters trilogy, I am done with her.

Last edited by LordRose on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
lorif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It has been a while since I read Serpent Prince, so I can't remember how closely these would match.
There are a couple of Linda Howard books with wounded heroes, White Lies and Up Close and Dangerous. White Lies the hero is in a coma at the start, and then it is an amnesia type story. Up Close and Dangerous is a plane crash, and the hero is more injured than the heroine so she has to take charge to keep them alive.
Hope this gets the thread going, because in the back of my mind there are many more.
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Theme: Heroine takes care of the wounded/sick hero?? Reply with quote

A Knight to Remember by Christina Dodd has an h that secretly tends the H's wounds at an abbey. They had known each other long ago. This is one of my favorite of Dodd's books.

Another Linda Howard: Diamond Bay

Last edited by Kayne on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaneO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conquest by Edith Layton. Her brothers bring home an unconscious man.

The Accidental Bride by Anne Gracie. She drags him into the house herself. Her brothers just take care of his horse.
karat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummingbird by LaVyrle Spencer - hero was shot, heroine is paid to take care of him
With This Ring by Carla Kelly - hero was wounded in war
Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas - hero is sick with malaria
Miss Wonderful by Loretta Chase - hero was wounded in an accident
When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn - hero is sick with malaria
A Rose at Midnight by Jacqueline Navin - hero suffers from a mysterious disease
Tempting Kate by Deborah Simmons - hero was shot
My Lord Protector by Deborah Hale - hero gets sick
Minerva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are several that I have enjoyed:

The Bargain - Mary Jo Putney
While not a favorite of everyone, I really liked this book. The heroine marries the hero expecting him to die. She nurses him back to health and then needs to deal with the repercussions of her marriage.

Marriage of Mercy - Carla Kelly
This is her newest, out this month. The hero is a POW and the heroine accepts his parole. He's illness is part of the story, but not the focus.

One Perfect Rose - Mary Jo Putney
Hero has an illness that he hides from his family. Late in the book, the heroine discovers his illness and helps him tell his family.

Never Romance a Rake - Liz Carlyle
The hero develop an illness that threatens his life. The sicker he becomes, the closer his attachment with the heroine.
brwneyedbeauty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also LOVE The Serpent Prince! I know of a few books with the theme you're looking for.

Seduction of a Highland Lass- Maya Banks. The H was ambushed and left for dead. He manages to get on his horse and passes out. Horse takes him to h's cottage. I loved this book. Definitely needed a tissue for it.

Sinful- Charlotte Featherstone. h is a nurse. When H gets beaten badly, she takes care of him. However the H has bandages around his eyes, so he can see the h, only hear her voice. This book is not a light read. But if you like a dark, intense read, go for it.

Sweet Lullaby- Lorraine Heath. This ones a little different cause the H gets taken care of by the h towards the end of the book. But boy oh boy is this an emotional read. I needed a few tissues for this one.

I know that I have read more books with this theme, I just can't think of them. If I remember, I'll edit them in Wink
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Greater Love by Katherine Kingsley - hero is traumatized after working to save people in a shipwreck. His parents had died in a shipwreck which he survived. He thinks that he failed to save a young boy who reminded him of himself. He becomes completely catatonic. Heroine works to bring him back.

Note: this is an old one, but it is very worth finding.

Kay
robiform

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minerva wrote:
Here are several that I have enjoyed:

The Bargain - Mary Jo Putney
While not a favorite of everyone, I really liked this book. The heroine marries the hero expecting him to die. She nurses him back to health and then needs to deal with the repercussions of her marriage.

Marriage of Mercy - Carla Kelly
This is her newest, out this month. The hero is a POW and the heroine accepts his parole. He's illness is part of the story, but not the focus.

One Perfect Rose - Mary Jo Putney
Hero has an illness that he hides from his family. Late in the book, the heroine discovers his illness and helps him tell his family.

Never Romance a Rake - Liz Carlyle
The hero develop an illness that threatens his life. The sicker he becomes, the closer his attachment with the heroine.

These are all good choices, and I would add another Mary Jo Putney novel to the list, namely, Shattered Rainbows. The heroine literally saves the hero's life through a blood transfusion (since the story take place during the Napoleonic Wars, the transfusion was a real leap of faith!). It's my favorite MJP novel, and it's linked to One Perfect Rose because the hero in SR (Michael) is the younger brother of Stephen (the hero of OPR)!
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Gallant by Suzanne Robinson
Jennifer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connoll....loved, loved, loved this book! Heroine is running from an abusive family and hides at hero's ranch. When family catches up to her, they force her to marry him and then beat the hero almost to death (trying to make her a bride and a widow in the same day). She must nurse him back to health. This is such an excellent book. Happy reading!
AngieMB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost in Your Arms by Christina Dodd
Lady Sophia's Lover by Lisa Kleypas
The Touch of Fire by Linda Howard
Against the Rules by Linda Howard
Come Lie with Me by Linda Howard
southplains

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, really enjoying this thread. I'm always looking for stories of this type. (I think that's why I was such a sucker for Little Joe Cartwright on the old Bonanza western--he was always getting hurt, kidnapped, or shot!) I'm collecting all these suggestions to add to my TBR pile.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good theme:

Flowers From the Storm - Laura Kinsale

I also loved Hummingbird - Lavyrle Spencer which was recommended above

The Portrait - So so about this one but high praised heroine takes care of the mad artist...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: