AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEGUILING THE BEAUTY BY Thomas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijoux wrote:
Natalie wrote:

I'd also like to warn those who like their love scenes on the hotter side - I don't know what's going on with AAR's sensuality ratings these days, but this books is nowhere near "hot". I'd say it's less "warm" than a Balogh book.

Yeah, they're really not. I don't know if I'm misremembering but I thought Not Quite a Husband had a few steamy encounters. I've read His at Night and Private Arrangements more recently though, and they're in the same warm zone as this one. Maybe Thomas just isn't that sort of writer. At least not at this time.

I think all of her other books I read where hotter than this one. For some reason, I don't like tame Victorians. Despite the stereotypes, they were lusty people.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEGUILING THE BEAUTY has a compelling setup: a man, irresistibly attracted by sight to an unavailable woman whom he never forgets. I bought Venetia’s husband’s bitter warning and the disastrous results of Lexington’s outing of an anonymous woman, Venetia, the heroine. There is so much to like about this book, but the annoying aspects were so great, that the book frustrated, and ultimately, disappointed me.

One main problem, IMO, is the long, long separation between the h&h
( physically and psychologically). I naturally identified with the wronged heroine (by her husband and later, publicly by Lexington), so I wanted more blood, more regret, more “spine” from Lexington who was bad-spirited, resentful, reluctant, cold and cowardly for too long. And Thomas’s contrivance of the gossips being the means of the spilling of the truth was just annoying and frankly, beyond belief. (Yes, like Msaggie, they reminded me of the the avid Thenardiers). Thomas's wrapping over 250 pages of misunderstanding up in just a few pages was unsatisfying.

Of that weren't enough, I really resented the obvious seeding of the next two books’ characters and their dilemmas. Helene’s involvement with a weak, unavailable man makes her so unsympathetic that I’m not looking forward to her book; however, I am to the next one out in July. I hope it’s better than BEGUILING THE BEAUTY (which I gave a C+).
JMM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the heroine was so WEAK, clinging to a man she knew didn't love or respect her or treat her well.

"But I LOOOVVVEEE him! I can't walk away from him! *Sob*! Oh, poor me!"

And he never faced any real consequences for his actions or his cowardice. I wanted to see real regret, not a few moments of "Ooopsie. I guess I was wrong about her."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: