AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British authors...thx Leigh for Mansell review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janet w

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: British authors...thx Leigh for Mansell review Reply with quote

There is more than one contemporary British author that I enjoy. It's not just the fabulous E L James, the behemoth in the corner who is crushing the competition. I actually rely on a trio of British authors when I've had enough Dukes, Regency and sex sex sex (not that I have any complaints with that list!).

Jill Mansell is one of them: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9012 I liked Leigh's review, and the grade: it gives me just enough to go on. Almost every British author's books are multi-generational, and I like that. Change to one member of the family affects everyone ... that ole ripple effect. I'm not great with titles but Mansell has been reviewed here before -- check the older reviews: she's perfect summer reading.

Two other authors, Elizabeth Buchan -- tending more in the direction of women's fiction but shot through with wry humour -- and the very popular Sophie Kinsella. I like all of these authors better than American favourite Jennifer Weiner because reality always trumps the ridiculous in these books set in the UK and sometimes Weiner awkwardly* vears in the direction of a mixture of Nicholas Sparks and "I'm a SERIOUS author so there has to be great unexpected SADNESS in my books". It's not that sad or reality is missing in the books of Buchan/Mansell/Kinsella, it's that the optimism and daring to try again aspect of life always triumphs.

* posting on the fly, hope that word is spelled correctly Sad
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marian Keyes is my go-to British author. I also like Jane Green.

Last edited by NoirFemme on Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cora

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several good British/Irish authors of contemporary romance and chick lit. In addition to Jill Mansell and Marian Keyes (who's actuall Irish), I also like Julie Cohen (American, but lives in the UK and writes books set there), Lisa Jewell, Phillippa Ashley, Susan Conley (also Irish), Suzanne Macpherson, Zoe Barnes and Sarah Webb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: