AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Somebody to Love by Kristan Higgins Reply with quote

Has anyone read this and if you did what did you think?

The last book Until There Was You didn't seem to cover any new ground--for me anyway--other than perhaps leaning a little more toward women's fiction, so I would appreciate your thoughts on the new book. Thanks.
willaful

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it better from a romance perspective than her previous book, which utterly failed as a romance for me. But it seemed kind of tame compared to some of her riskier books.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I thought it better from a romance perspective than her previous book, which utterly failed as a romance for me. But it seemed kind of tame compared to some of her riskier books.

Thanks, willaful. The previous book didn't work for me either, and though the current one sounds better or passable maybe? I think I'll give it a pass for now and see where the author goes next.
Nicole M.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also lukewarm on her last one (the heroine was just soooo in love with the hero for so long that it felt like he'd never catch up) but I really enjoyed her latest. In the last few books, Higgins has included the male perspective and in this one, I thought she did a great job with that. James was a fantastic hero and his thoughts felt authentic to me. I also liked Parker and even though her fears could get annoying, they were also completely understandable and sympathetic. The romance was satisfying and everything came together well for me. Definitely worth reading!
Tee

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 2/3 of the way through on this one and am really enjoying it. I agree with Nicole about James and Parker--both are good characters who grow on the reader with their hangups and thoughts.
bijoux

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one totally worked for me. I've read it about a month ago and the one complaint I can remember is that I wanted to spend more time with them.

I also have to add, James' grand gesture brought tears to my eyes. Not ashamed to say it. Actually, now that I've written it down, I realized there are two at the end of the book. I'm actually talking about the gesture in the final chapter, although the one in the epilogue is pitch perfect as well.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nicole, Tee and Bijoux for your thoughts. You've convinced me to read it. May I ask another question, though?

I hit a reading slump hard two weeks ago and the only thing that has been working for me for now is light contemp romance. First I read, The Fireman Who Loved Me by J, Bernard which was lovely with likeable characters and crisp, clear prose. Now I'm reading a couple of Julie James that I had stashed away for an emergency, and of course they're wonderful.

Would the current Higgins be anywhere near light romance? Or somewhat like her earlier books? I do remember liking her writing style before. It;s just her last book definitely wouldn't work where I am now.

Thanks so much again for your feedback.
willaful

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's a good bet if you want light romance. I wouldn't call it frothy, but definitely not heavy on the angst.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I would say it's a good bet if you want light romance. I wouldn't call it frothy, but definitely not heavy on the angst.

Thanks so much, willaful. You nailed exactly what I needed to know, and I really appreciate it. I haven't had a romance slump this bad in quite some time-- luckily--but it's a doozy. I'll get this book in a couple of days along with the new Bernard release and the latest Julie James I don't yet have.

grazie mille
Tee

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished this book finally and absolutely loved it. I thought the characters and story were great. For those who read the book, the very last line of the story was one of the best I've read in a while IMO and it totally related to the story. How wonderful! James can be my hew hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: