Today’s Steals and Deals at AAR…..

This recent Eloisa James garnered a B+ from us.

I very much enjoyed Silvester and Stella’s story. James masterfully depicts Silvester’s confusion and frustration and I found myself forgiving him for his earlier idiocy. The tenor of the book is airy, charming, and wonderfully sly. The love scenes are both sweet and very very dirty (for James). This is a book with great affection for its characters, especially its women. Stella’s aunt and Silvester’s mother each are given deep backstories of their own and both stories are moving and, in ways that seem believable, empowering.

It’s at Amazon for 2.99 here.

Looking for a different take on the booming romantasy genre? Here you go!

My body is made of scars,
some were done to me,
but most I did to myself.

Keera is a killer. As the King’s Blade, she is the most talented spy in the kingdom. And the king’s favored assassin. When a mysterious figure moves against the Crown, Keera is called upon to hunt down the so-called Shadow. She tracks her target into the magical lands of the Fae, but Faeland is not what it seems . . . and neither is the Shadow. Keera is shocked by what she learns, and can’t help but wonder who her enemy truly is: the King that destroyed her people or the Shadow that threatens the peace?

As she searches for answers, Keera is haunted by a promise she made long ago, one that will test her in every way. To keep her word, Keera must not only save herself, but an entire kingdom.

It’s at Amazon for 0.99 here.

Love Amanda Quick? This one got a pleased B from us.

Amanda Quick knows her history. This is no idealistic time-period, and she brings out some of the seedier aspects of life during Regency England without focusing on them too much (this is, after all, a romance). With This Ring is, although not her best, certainly worth the read.

It’s at Amazon for 1.99 here.

Balogh has written many series. My personal favorite is the Huxtables. This is the last book in that series.

Even so, this book has its great moments. It starts off strong and, even in the later parts of the book, the author still mixes some powerfully emotional scenes into the Huxtable family treacle. It’s a bit of a rollercoaster, though, because one goes from generic family cuteness to emotion that cuts deeply enough to make one teary. Even though parts of this book really annoyed me, the stronger portions stand head and shoulders above much of what I read in other books. For that reason, A Secret Affair deserves at least a qualified recommendation.

It’s on sale at Amazon for 1.99 here.

AAR covers more than just romance–we are all about women’s stories. This book sounds great! And it’s on sale. AND it’s women’s stories. What’s not to love?

Everyone knows Benjamin Franklin—the thrifty inventor-statesman of the Revolutionary era—but not about his love life. Poor Richard’s Women reveals the long-neglected voices of the women Ben loved and lost during his lifelong struggle between passion and prudence. The most prominent among them was Deborah Read Franklin, his common-law wife and partner for 44 years. Long dismissed by historians, she was an independent, politically savvy woman and devoted wife who raised their children, managed his finances, and fought off angry mobs at gunpoint while he traipsed about England.

Weaving detailed historical research with emotional intensity and personal testimony, Nancy Rubin Stuart traces Deborah’s life and those of Ben’s other romantic attachments through their personal correspondence. We are introduced to Margaret Stevenson, the widowed landlady who managed Ben’s life in London; Catherine Ray, the 23-year-old New Englander with whom he traveled overnight and later exchanged passionate letters; Madame Brillon, the beautiful French musician who flirted shamelessly with him, and the witty Madame Helvetius, who befriended the philosophes of pre-Revolutionary France and brought Ben to his knees.

What emerges from Stuart’s pen is a colorful and poignant portrait of women in the age of revolution. Set two centuries before the rise of feminism, Poor Richard’s Women depicts the feisty, often-forgotten women dear to Ben’s heart who, despite obstacles, achieved an independence rarely enjoyed by their peers in that era.

It’s at Amazon for 1.99 here.

You can see all our current deals at our Amazon storefront here.

As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn a very small percentage of whatever you buy using our links. And remember, we get a percentage of EVERYTHING in your cart when you’ve begun your shopping with our links. That tiny sliver of money is what enables us to stay on line, so please, visit our links and click through to Amazon. Thanks!

Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments