AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tangle of Need - Nalini Singh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatW

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Tangle of Need - Nalini Singh Reply with quote

I want to thank Maggie for such a thoughtful and detailed review. While I was reading the first part, I was thinking "oh no", however the information that a good part of the book continues to build the "world" and all the schemes and plots in the PurePsy conflict give me an excellent reason to read this book because even when I couldn't get really invested in the lead "couple" in some of the previous books the really superior world building always sucked me in!

And as a bonus more Sienna and Hawke - that's a big plus for me because I really felt that the "action" overshadowed their romance in their own book.

And I definitely would agree that is doesn't sound like a newcomer to the books would like it at all!
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Gald you found the review helpful Smile So much goes on in these books that if she gets only half of it right it is still a really good story. I'm still loving this series, which is saying something since I have quit several recently.

Maggie
PatW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading this over the weekend and came back to say that the review is spot on.

I'd give the romance between Adria and Rias a B-/C+ because the conflict that keeps them apart isn't one that I find interesting/believeable... this is more a matter of taste than anything wrong with how the H/h are portrayed dealing with it. I don't think it's a big secret but I'll blank it anyway: It's the I have a fated "mate" who is my true love... even though this other one is really more suited to me - blecch.

That said the rest of the book is extremely satisfying to one who is addicted to the overall story arc, as I am. We see how the different parties are handling the aftermath of the big battle that ensued in Sienna and Hawke's book AND we get to see a lot more of how their romance is progressing. Be advised that although a lot is going on, no resolutions to the various plot threads are offered here.

To add the cream on top we get introduced to a new and very intriguing aquatic changeling group. Just hints in this book, however I look forward to finding out a lot more.

This part of the book I rate a B+. I do echo the warning that this is NOT a stand alone read. Fans of the Psy/Changling world will love it - those who read these primarily for the central romance, not so much.
msaggie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh Reply with quote

I just finished this one and would agree with maggie b's review and comment "When they finally get it together towards the end there are some sweet moments but I just didn't find them worth the trip..." I too was more interested in the Arrows and Alice Eldridge. I loved reading about Hawke and Sienna - so although this was Adria and Riaz's book, the parts I most enjoyed were when the focus was on other people. So, really this book doesn't rate much higher than C for their romance - which is a pity, as here, Nalini Singh is trying to tell a story of a changeling who ends up with (maybe spoiler in white font) someone who is not the first-choice mate; then Singh tries to explain why this could work, when in previous books in this series, the "mate recognition" was so integral to the story - it's like she's trying to explain a contradiction to something we thought was a rule in the changeling universe she created . I don't know why Riaz and Adria's story didn't really hook me when the premise was actually quite interesting. Maybe because we love Hawke and Sienna so much, Riaz and Adria were eclipsed? I think it's more than that. Maybe it's series-itis for me too. I am glad I got my copy out of the library.
MEK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what everyone else has said. Not the best romance compared to many of her others (my favorite is Caressed by Ice with Judd and Brenna)

I did love the Hawke and Sienna parts, and learning better how they related to each other.

I decided just this month to take the plunge and read Singh's Archangel series. Wow! I was pretty surprised how dark and violent it is, but I loved it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: