AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Susan Elizabeth Phillips recommendations Reply with quote

I have never read any of her books, but I know she is quite popular. I was browsing the bookstore the other day and noticed how many of her books are on the shelf and decided to break down and read at least a few. But I don't know where to start as I am not a big fan of contemporary romance. So, which SEP books are your favorites and why? Which ones would you recommend?
MEK

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in for a treat! SEP is a wonderful author. I would definitely try the Chicago Stars series and begin with the first It Had To Be You. This series does not necessarily need to be read in order, as the stories are fairly independent of one another (but not entirely). You WILL get a variety of opinions about some of the books in this series from this board, but the first one is pretty universally liked and a great place to start.

For a single title, my favorite is Kiss An Angel. Daisy is a wonderful character. I reread this one at least once a year.
xina

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, that you are in for a treat. I love her books, and have reread most of them. My first SEP was It Had To Be You, and it remains my favorite. A close second would be Heaven Texas. These are the first 2 books in the Chicago Stars series. They are all good in that series, and if you want, they can be read out of order, but more fun if you can read them in order. I do love Kiss An Angel, and Ain't She Sweet too. Great author. Have funt!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaven Texas and Lady Be Good are my favs! Yummy heroes and lots of humor.

Linda
Trish B

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed them all but my faves are:

HEAVEN, TEXAS
NOBODY'S BABY BUT MINE
KISS AN ANGEL
LADY BE GOOD
MATCH ME IF YOU CAN
NATURAL BORN CHARMER
PamelaM

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years, she was the only contemporary author I read. Her Chicago Stars series would be a great place to start. Although you don’t need to necessarily read them in order, the first book, It Had To Be You, will give you an true flavor of Susan Elizabeth Phillips at her very best. It will also give you a good grounding about the series and some insight into some future characters. Although I love many of her books, my favorites tend to be her earlier books .

It Had To Be You (Chicago Stars)
Nobody’s Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars)
Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars)
Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars)
Lady Be Good

Fancy Pants –This is not a favorite with many fans. It spans a period of about 12 years (H/h drop the relationship (H is married but separated for part of the book) and are reunited. I wanted to slap the hero/heroine a few times but I adored Francesca, one intelligent, gustsy lady with a heart of gold and eventually loved the hero,Dallas (Dallie)Beaudine. It was one of those stories I decided to just go with and was glad I did. More angsty than some of her others, but her signature humor prevails throughout. Some very memorable secondary characters, which is a strength in many of her books.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PamelaM on Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
goldberry

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head...

I've read most of her books but only recently read Ain't She Sweet as I found it on Overdrive. I actually liked the secondary characters better than the main characters.

Nobody's Baby is a favorite because of Cal and his Cheerios.

This Heart of Mine. For some reason Molly and Kevin's story is one of my all time favorites. (And to see a reference to one of Molly's books in Ain't She Sweet had me laughing out loud and my family staring at me).
Kathy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I could count on you guys to point me in the right direction. I'm making my list. Thanks for all recs. Very Happy
JudyZ6666

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Chicago Stars books a lot ("Nobody's Baby But Mine" is sitting up on my bed table right now, because I was going through "A" reviews on AAR earlier in the week, and decided to read it again).

You really should read them in order:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/susan-elizabeth-phillips/

I.e. the "Chicago Stars/Bonner Brothers books--you should read in order, but the first three, can be read alone, no problems whatsoever (and they are all very good). You should NOT read "Dream a Little Dream" without reading "Nobody's Baby But Mine" first. The remaining ones have a lot of character cameos/relationships that you will not appreciate if you haven't read the previous books.

The ones listed as "American's Lady" (shiver on that grammar <g>)--read in any order, except for the last 2, as those are about kids of the earlier books. They aren't really "linked" until those two.

"First Lady" is actually one of my favorites, and it is a stand alone (of course, the movie "Dave" is one of my favorites, so there you go <g>). Another good one is "Hot Shot," although I haven't read it in a while, as I gave it away (grumble). "Hot Shot" is suitably geek-driven, and one of the first SEP's that I read, so I may be remembering it with love rather than rationality. Smile If I'm remembering correctly, the heroine takes off with a Cool Guy On a Motorcycle after running away from her wedding. Um, sounds familiar, eh, if you've read the excerpt from the forthcoming "The Great Escape."

Judy
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss an Angel is one of my all-time favorite books. I return to it frequently. I also love Lady Be Good, Heaven, Texas, This Heart of Mine, and Dream a Little Dream. I read them out of order and didn't find it confusing. Actually, even her most recent book, Call Me Irresistible, is good and would be a nice precursor to her new release this July.
goldberry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a pre-order for a $1.99 This Heart of Mine @ Amazon if you're interested. (Probably to coincide with the release of her new book this summer I presume?)

http://www.amazon.com/This-Heart-Bonus-Excerpt-ebook/dp/B00851M4J6
PamelaM

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldberry wrote:
There's a pre-order for a $1.99 This Heart of Mine @ Amazon if you're interested. (Probably to coincide with the release of her new book this summer I presume?)

http://www.amazon.com/This-Heart-Bonus-Excerpt-ebook/dp/B00851M4J6

Thanks for the post! This will be great vacation re-read. Very Happy
Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my suggestion would be NOT to start your SEP journey with "Nobody's Baby But Mine" or "This Heart Of Mine" these two are one of those books that some people love and some people want to set on fire Razz
start with a safer book Smile
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
my suggestion would be NOT to start your SEP journey with "Nobody's Baby But Mine" or "This Heart Of Mine" these two are one of those books that some people love and some people want to set on fire Razz

Haha, that's what I was thinking but I didn't want to say it, lol

Linda
Kathy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:

What about these two caused such a diverse reaction (if you can explain without getting too spoilerish)?

I'm trying to decide whether to start with It Had To Be You (just because it is the start of the Chicago Stars series) or perhaps Kiss An Angel (because of MEK's post regarding Daisy.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: