AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carla Kelly's MARRIAGE OF MERCY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Carla Kelly's MARRIAGE OF MERCY Reply with quote

Clearly, Harlequin does not value its best writer, Carla Kelly. First, the title makes no sense: the heroine does not marry the hero out of mercy. Second, the blurb on the back has nothing to do with the plot, basically. Third, this book was not listed under Harlequin’s May releases. Harlequin deserves to lose Carla Kelly.

In spite of these obstacles, MARRIAGE OF MERCY is another in Kelly's outstanding books of decent men and good women, people who are aware of petty (and major) injustices in the world, but people who always do the right thing. They never blunder, unaware of the risks, nor do they complain when they reap the unfair consequences. They are realists with spines, hearts, and brains.

I love Grace because when she is destitute, she actually does something about it. No, she doesn’t become a governess for the tantrum-throwing child of a widowed/single/isolated/rumored-to-be-insane duke, nor does she become a companion to his gruff-but-loving mother, a woman who terrifies the whole universe, except Grace. Nor does she act as the chaperone for the pretty, but brainless miss who has been tainted with trade. No. She does something sensible. She works for a bakery in the village, living above it as she serves her apprenticeship. All this takes about two pages, but it establishes what kind of person she is and she continues to be self-sufficient and sensible, and infinitely lovable.

When she is named in the will of the old curmudgeon she befriended in the village, she goes to rescue his American illegitimate son, imprisoned with other sailors from the War of 1812 in Dartmoor prison. If you love history, you will not be surprised, but you will be sickened by the conditions and the extreme neglect that killed so many men. There, she meets and rescues a different man.

What makes Carla Kelly’s books unique is the consistency of her characters, and her memorable touches. By the end of this lovely romance, when Carla Kelly tells you about the American graves of the sailors in Dartmoor, I defy any person--American or not--not to shed a tear.

The AAR review (giving it a B+) is here: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9001
PatW

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Carla Kelly's MARRIAGE OF MERCY Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Clearly, Harlequin does not value its best writer, Carla Kelly. First, the title makes no sense: the heroine does not marry the hero out of mercy. Second, the blurb on the back has nothing to do with the plot, basically. Third, this book was not listed under Harlequin’s May releases. Harlequin deserves to lose Carla Kelly.

The title is useless! Carla herelf has said she doesn't bother to suggest titles to Harlequin anymore as they makeup their own regardless.

I'm pretty sure this is June release - however one can always buy a month in advance directly from Harlequin.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon is selling it today, on May 22nd, so I assume it's out everywhere.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you say is true. I didn't want to go on and on about how inappropriate the title and blurb are, but...come on Harlequin! Did the person who named the book even read it? Or read a synopsis, even?

I told Lee that I would read Kelly's books even if Harlequin titled them "This Book Sucks", but what about new readers who aren't already in love with her writing? They'll probably be left puzzled.

If a publisher did that to me, I imagine it'd feel the same as dropping a child at kindergarten and being told that the teacher arbitrarily changed the child's name.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Carla Kelly's MARRIAGE OF MERCY Reply with quote

I pleaded with my editor not to change the title of the book, Choosing Rob Inman, but it was to deaf ears. I think she must have confused this book with another. How else could something this egregious have happened? Makes absolutely no sense.

All l I can suggest is that if readers buy this as paperback, that they cross through Marriage of Mercy and substitute Choosing Rob Inman.

Harlequin currently has my Fort Laramie novel in the hopper. I called it "The Hesitant Heart," which comes factually from a 19th century memoir of an Indian Wars officer's wife. Again, it is a totally appropriate title, and even sounds a bit "romancy." Maybe they'll leave this one alone, but I'm not sanguine.

I'm not sure what to do about this.
MissRubyJones

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been counting down the days until this e-book became available at Amazon, but it looks like the e-book is already available at Harlequin's site -- am I reading that correctly? Please say yes, someone!!!
PatW

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissRubyJones wrote:
I have been counting down the days until this e-book became available at Amazon, but it looks like the e-book is already available at Harlequin's site -- am I reading that correctly? Please say yes, someone!!!

Yes, you can always get Harlequin books one month early when buying direct from them.
Lee

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bunch of angry posts on Amazon would get the point across?

Can't wait to read this Carla!
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Carla Kelly's MARRIAGE OF MERCY Reply with quote

Lee, I'm at a loss with Harlequin. I don't know what would get their attention, regarding bungled titles. Dealing with them makes me feel like a child - you know, pat pat on the head, and "We know what's best." Well, they don't. Rolling Eyes
stl_reader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this. Nice little story. (Could use an epilogue, though. But that's just me. Smile )

Not only are the title and the blurb on the back both ridiculously wrong, but the picture on the cover shows a man with almost black hair. Rob Inman has red-gold hair. It bugs me when cover models do not even vaguely resemble the characters as described in the book. (I know that Harlequin is not the only publisher guilty of this, but still.)
MarianneM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Note to Carla Reply with quote

You wonderful creature, you. This book hits another one straight out of the park. Your characters are always engaging and true to their natures. You certainly give this old lady a lot of pleasure, which I need. Thank you again and again.

MarianneM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: