Today’s Steals and Deals at AAR…..

We haven’t reviewed this one–it has characters in it from When We Left Cuba and Next Year in Havana, both of which we gave DIKs to. Here’s the blurb:

Barcelona, 1964. Exiled from Cuba after the revolution, Isabel Perez has learned to guard her heart and protect her family at all costs. After Isabel’s sister Beatriz disappears in Barcelona, Isabel goes to Spain in search of her. Joining forces with an unlikely ally thrusts Isabel into her sister’s dangerous world of espionage, but it’s an unearthed piece of family history that transforms Isabel’s life.

Barcelona, 1936. Alicia Perez arrives in Barcelona after a difficult voyage from Cuba, her marriage in jeopardy and her young daughter Isabel in tow. Violence brews in Spain, the country on the brink of civil war, the rise of fascism threatening the world. When Cubans journey to Spain to join the International Brigades, Alicia’s past comes back to haunt her as she is unexpectedly reunited with the man who once held her heart.

Alicia and Isabel’s lives intertwine, and the past and present collide, as a mother and daughter are forced to choose between their family’s expectations and following their hearts.

It’s at Amazon for 1.99 here.

Oooooh! Two Winston Brothers books for just 0.99 for the pair! We gave Truth or Beard a DIK.

Truth or Beard gives the reader a super steamy attraction between the leads. Add in Duane’s incredibly tender statements and you’ve got a dreamy romance.

“My priority is making sure all your dreams come true. You can trust me on that.

You’re it Jessica James. And that’s the truth. Not racing or going fast. Not fixing up old cars. I want to spend my life with you and maybe that makes me wrong in the head and unhealthy, or old-fashioned, but when I think of my future and what I want, all I see is you.”

Beyond being a first-rate romance, Penny Reid’s writing is enjoyable and mind-blowingly creative. I guffawed numerous times and went back and reread chapters (even before I finished the book). When I finished. it was with a heavy, contented sigh and a giddy burst of delight. And another heavy sigh!

If you like unique, clever romance with a shot of hilarity then Truth or Beard is for you. I’m off to read the next book in the series!

The box set is at Amazon for 0.99 here.

I love this book (and the fab film) so hard. (Here’s our glowing review.)

Neil Gaiman’s new book, Stardust, is a fairy tale for grown ups. It contains many elements of a classic fairy tale, including the stalwart, underdog hero, evil witches, murderous princes, and more than one fair maiden. But these elements have an adult sensibility, and they are presented in a way grown up fairy tale fans will enjoy. This is a quick read, but a very fanciful and imaginative one.

The action begins in the city of Wall during the reign of Queen Victoria. Although Wall is an isolated city, it is more or less a normal one, with one exception – Wall borders the land of Faerie. There is a single gate which leads to that mythic land, and the townspeople of Wall are charged with guarding it. The only time anyone is allowed through the wall is once every nine years, when there is an unusual market fair on the Faerie side of the wall.

Tristran Thorn is conceived during a market fair, when his father mates with an inhabitant of Faerie. Nine months later, baby Tristran appears at the wall with a name tag stating his identity. He is raised as a normal mortal, but everyone in town knows that there is something different about him. When Tristran falls in love with the beautiful Victoria Forester, he offers to retrieve a fallen star for her if she will marry him. She accepts, and Tristran sets off through the gate and into Faerie in search of the star.

To say too much about Tristran’s adventures in Faerie would spoil the delightful surprises that abound in this novel. His journey to find the star is perilous, as there are many others who desire the star as well. The danger is not over once he finds the star either. While Tristran is on his journey he learns about his heritage, and examines his true feelings for Victoria. And just when you decide that there will be loose ends left unexplained, everything is wrapped up in an nice tidy package.

It’s at Amazon for 1.99 here.

Saddle up, you cowboy romance lovers! We’ve a deal for you! (Our review is here.)

Annie Harper is a woman who is just surviving. All the life has gone from her, buried with her husband four years earlier, when Brett Corrigan comes looking for her on a dusty Nevada ranch. He watches her break a wild mustang and realizes that she must be the notorious Mustang Annie he’s been looking for. Although he knows the law is after her for horse theft, the Louisiana gambler offers her a job. Brett needs her to round up a band of wild horses back home in Texas: a band that contains several of his prize Arabian and Thoroughbred fillies stolen by a black stallion he’s dubbed Blue Fire.

Annie has her reasons for not going back to Texas and turns him down flat. But the U.S. Marshals are just a step behind Brett, so Annie high tails it for the Texas border and agrees to get his horses back for an exorbitant amount. Brett is fascinated by Annie, even though she fights him over everything. He is willing to pay anything to get his horses back, and eventually he realizes that keeping Annie is even more important.

Normally I don’t like heroines who disagree with everything the hero does and refuse every bit of kindness offered, but Ms. Morgan has done a wonderful job of portraying Annie’s painful history and the reader can see why she is so skittish. Annie has lost everyone and everything that was ever dear to her, except for her horse Chance. When the story opens she’s drifting through life waiting for the law and her past to catch up with in the form of a hangman’s noose. It’s little wonder she’s confused by Brett’s kindness and sees ulterior motives in everything he does.

As for Brett, he’s a man with his own angst filled past. A man trying to avoid becoming his father only to find that’s who he’s turning into. Ever since he turned twenty he’s been able to have any woman he wants, but he isn’t cocky with it. He appreciates women and loves each woman he’s been with, but it’s Annie – who spurns him – with whom he falls in love. He wants to find out why her eyes are empty and hold her until all the pain is gone. Annie gives him the key to winning her heart when they discuss the best way to tame a horse. He proposes the way he was taught – having a rider get on its back and break the horse’s spirit. But Annie shows him another way: wooing and winning it’s trust.

It’s at Amazon for 2.99 here.

And you probably have these two already but Rapture in Death is on sale for 1.99 here and Hello Stranger is on sale for 3.99 here.

You can see all our current deals at our Amazon storefront here.

As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn a very small percentage of whatever you buy using our links. And remember, we get a percentage of EVERYTHING in your cart when you’ve begun your shopping with our links. That tiny sliver of money is what enables us to stay on line, so please, visit our links and click through to Amazon. Thanks!

Subscribe
Notify of

1 Comment
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments