AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harlequin author speaks out: huge comment section
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this, it makes me think twice about buying Harlequin. I buy a lot of books. Thinking twice. All my best to the authors.
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:

I am glad to see many backlists reverting to their authors for re-issue. Except Harlequin? Hunh. I'm going to watch what develops on the legal front with this one.

be.

I have swept up backlists given to authors. Not harlequin? Not buying.
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Harlequin author speaks out: huge comment section Reply with quote

RRRJessica wrote:

That said, I don't know if Harlequin is worse than other romance publishers. Pamela Clare, another author I love to read, says in the thread that at Dorchester she also made very little money despite selling well for them. She concludes:

"I'm a writer, not a monk. I never took a vow of poverty. I never wanted to starve for my art. I expect to be fairly compensated. And so should we all."

I wish I knew which romance publishers treated their authors well. It is really the case these days that romance authors have to be self-published to get a fair deal?

Pamela Clare is a favorite writer of mine. Her statement is very telling.
Nana

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Harlequin author speaks out: huge comment section Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
D Rogers, don't worry. My ego talking here, but if I do write a young miss/debut thing, it won't be like anyone else's. I tend to go my own way.

Honestly, Carla. The last time you tried to write about a young miss and a duke, she married the local doctor. Don't you understand how these things work?? Razz
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discussion shouldn't really limit itself to romance genre. Here's a really important analysis of the changes on Lawrence Block's blog:

http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/2334709-all-changed-changed-utterly
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Harlequin author speaks out: huge comment section Reply with quote

Nana, you make me laugh. No, I haven't a clue how these things work. I just write what I want, mostly.

And I have to tell you - after reading some of these comments, I'm having second thoughts about self-publishing. I could be really wrong, and it won't be the first time. Eating words has never given me indigestion.

I have to admit I'm hugely excited about the New Mexico series with that small press, and the other small press that's doing my Scofield Mine Disaster story in August. (As far as I know, that is a total first - a mine disaster novel) I took two photos of the pictures I wanted for the cover, and told them what the young lady should look like, and bingo: a nice cover. Can't do that with a big press.
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
The discussion shouldn't really limit itself to romance genre. Here's a really important analysis of the changes on Lawrence Block's blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/2334709-all-changed-changed-utterly

Exactly. Thanks for the link. He used Yeats' "All changed, changed utterly…" I was thinking of Huxley's "Brave New World" because of how fast everything is changing, and not only for books. I particularly liked this:

And then, of course, everything changed. Computers happened, and the internet happened, and eBooks happened. And so on.

Meanwhile, publishing continued to evolve—or devolve, if you prefer. The industry, largely partnerships and sole proprietorships when I started writing, had become increasingly corporate, and the corporations set about swallowing one another. Books had to sell an ever-increasing number of copies in order to show up in black ink on a corporation’s balance sheet.

But bookstores were closing, and sales were down. Authors of mid-list books, many with lengthy backlists and no end of flattering reviews, found themselves cast adrift. Some of them were trying to do something about it.

It's not only the remaining big box bookstores either: midlist authors are completly gone from Target and Walmart and B&N never has stocked romance well. Online is almost it unless you wait for the library--whose budgets have been cut--or UBSs.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Harlequin author speaks out: huge comment section Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
And I have to tell you - after reading some of these comments, I'm having second thoughts about self-publishing.

The AAR "Want your book reviewed?" page used to say "We do not review self-published books or books from vanity presses." But AAR has reviewed a few self-published books recently, and the review guidelines page seems to be under revision.

"I think I feel a change in the wind, says I."

Best,
Lilly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: