AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scariest book you ever read?? Romance or not
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audrey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read The Exorcist in the dark of night, in a foreign country, in a really old farmhouse in which you had to go up to our room in the attic on a ladder, when I was fifteen. Rolling Eyes
Eggletina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another I just remembered that had some bone-chilling moments was Caitlin Kiernan's The Red Tree.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
I read The Exorcist in the dark of night, in a foreign country, in a really old farmhouse in which you had to go up to our room in the attic on a ladder, when I was fifteen. Rolling Eyes

Oh my gosh! Eeeeep! Shocked

Linda
tuga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't read much horror but I've read some Stephen King novels and to this day his tale about an airport (don't remember the title) where a single person is there alone and all that suspense and psychological suggestion was too much. It's not scary in a way that makes you scream, but it is frightening because you can easily imagine if it were you there completely alone with something.
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely was "The Exorcist". The book scared me, the movie traumatized me for a very, very long time. Can't even watch previews of it anymore when they advertise it on tv. Bad karma. LOL

I remember reading "The Haunting of Hill House" when I was in high school. That book terrified me. Not sure if it would hold up now, but then, YIKES!

I also read Joe Hill's book "The Heart Shaped Box" & it too was really creepy.

Crazily enough, Stephen King doesn't really scare me. I don't particularly like him anyway and think he is incredibly, highly overrated. I have read a lot of his, but I like Dean Koontz much, much better. The last book I forced myself to finish of King's was "Under the Dome" and was terribly disappointed in it. Normally, I don't finish a book that doesn't do it for me, but since that one was gigantic and I had invested so much into it already (thinking it would improve since I liked the premise) I forced myself to finish it. Never again though.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol Fan wrote:
Absolutely was "The Exorcist". The book scared me, the movie traumatized me for a very, very long time. Can't even watch previews of it anymore when they advertise it on tv. Bad karma. LOL

I remember reading "The Haunting of Hill House" when I was in high school. That book terrified me. Not sure if it would hold up now, but then, YIKES!

I also read Joe Hill's book "The Heart Shaped Box" & it too was really creepy.

Crazily enough, Stephen King doesn't really scare me. I don't particularly like him anyway and think he is incredibly, highly overrated. I have read a lot of his, but I like Dean Koontz much, much better. The last book I forced myself to finish of King's was "Under the Dome" and was terribly disappointed in it. Normally, I don't finish a book that doesn't do it for me, but since that one was gigantic and I had invested so much into it already (thinking it would improve since I liked the premise) I forced myself to finish it. Never again though.

I think I read the book..The Exorcist, I can't remember, but the movie really creeped me out. The way it was filmed with all it's darkness really is what did it for me. I didn't find it entertaining as much as being very disturbing. Also, the Haunting Of Hill House...the 1963 version, scared me as well. I still remember the heaving walls of the house toward the end. The version they did in 1999 was not nearly as creepy.
Stephen King doesn't scare me either. I enjoy his son's writing (Joe Hill) and his wife's books (Tabitha King) much, much more. I do wish his wife would write another book.
D Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Scariest Books Reply with quote

For me, the scariest was Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I didn't think a book could scare me until I read that one. I was wrong.

But the BEST written scary books I've read have been Edith Wharton's Ghost Stories (scary good) and Susan Hill's The Woman in Black. The scare in both of these creeps up on you. Wonderful to read on a rainy night or gloomy winter afternoon...

Denise
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Henry James' The Turn of the Screw scary because you never know the truth -- are there ghosts or was the governess insane? It's even scarier because the overall tone is so low key and rational and, as a result, everything seems more realistic -- there may be evil spirits or, just as likely, a madwoman may be in our midst. In either case, death and destruction result.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson(along with the 1963 movie) scared the heck out of me. The part of the book where Eleanor thinks she is holding Theodora's hand and it turns out that it's not Theo's hand still gives me a major case of the creeps. It's the sense of vagueness about it. Is Eleanor going crazy or is it more. Things that go bump in the night really , really scare me.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge Barbara Michaels fan- I think she does intelligent supernatural combined with subtle romance better than anyone. Like any author some of her books are better than others. Some of her best "scarier" books are:

Ammie Come Home

House Of Many Shadows

Be Buried In The Rain

Stitches In Time

Wait For What Will Come

The Crying Child
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read both Red Dragon and a book about the real life Boston Strangler at the same time years ago (way before the movie) and it was a big mistake. It freaked me out! Shocked

While I can still read an occassional Red Dragon type of story where good triumphs over evil, I'm just too creeped out about real life murderers to ever have their stories rolling around inside my head. Books affect me way more than movies or TV. I can watch a documentary about a Ted Bundy but I'll never read a book about him.

The one exception to this is John Douglas books about profiling. Those I find fascinating. Razz And, I'm a big horror movie buff. LOL!
Amanda DeWees

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House is a favorite of mine. Also enjoyed the ambiguity and creepiness of Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger. I know a lot of people love Susan Hill's The Woman in Black.

These are the ones that first sprang to my mind also. I don't personally love The Woman in Black, but I know a lot of people do, and it's very atmospheric. I heartily recommend HHH and The Little Stranger.

A recent writer I've been impressed with--and, more to the pont, scared by!--is F.G. Cottam. His first book, House of Lost Souls, may be his scariest, but he gets better at constructing story in later books. Lost Echo is a terrific one, with a haunted boat and a sympathetic heroine. The Magdalena Curse is deeply creepy too.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was child I had a horrid fear of ghosts.

Ghosts Belong to Me
Ghosts I have Been

Really scared me. I remember Ghosts I had been had the ghost of a girl/woman who drowned and they kept her head in a jar so someone might identify the body. Ghosts belong to me had a girl who drowned in a well, and her little dog died too. It frightened and upset me very much especially the little dog. It was so sad.

At any rate, those books, frightened me as a child.

While I don't believe in ghosts anymore, I still remember how afraid and upset I was by those books. Funny thing is my sister had no issue reading them, but I was way too sensative. =-)
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuga wrote:
I also don't read much horror but I've read some Stephen King novels and to this day his tale about an airport (don't remember the title) where a single person is there alone and all that suspense and psychological suggestion was too much. It's not scary in a way that makes you scream, but it is frightening because you can easily imagine if it were you there completely alone with something.

I think that was a short story called "The Langoliers."
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest Books Reply with quote

D Rogers wrote:
For me, the scariest was Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I didn't think a book could scare me until I read that one. I was wrong.

But the BEST written scary books I've read have been Edith Wharton's Ghost Stories (scary good) and Susan Hill's The Woman in Black. The scare in both of these creeps up on you. Wonderful to read on a rainy night or gloomy winter afternoon...

Denise

I read Salem's Lot one weekend when I was alone in my college apartment. I started about 10 at night and by the time I finished in the early morning hours, I had pushed the couch in front of the outside door and made sure every window was fully covered. My top 3 scary books would be:
Helter Skelter
Salem's Lot
IT
For years after I read Helter Skelter, I could not listen to the Beatles' White Album. While reading IT, I went down to the end of my driveway one evening to get my newspaper. There was a drainage ditch under the driveway and the paper had been thrown in it. I stood there for about 10 minutes trying to get enough nerve to climb down in the ditch and go under the driveway to get my paper. I finally gave up and made my husband do it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: