AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notable Romances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop Tart

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Notable Romances Reply with quote

I'm participating on a Notable Books panel for my fellow librarians later this week. I'm presenting romances and am working on which titles to include. What are some of the romances that you consider to be notable/noteworthy in the last year or two?
kim76

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecilia Grant's A Lady Awakened (notable debut)
Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning (conclusion of popular series)
Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn (1st in spinoff series from very popular series)

for starters, since they generated a lot of discussion and buzz in "mainstream" romance land.
TerryS

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be "On the Island" by Tracey Garvis-Graves.

It is a book about a 30 something tutor, and her almost 17 year old pupil who end up stranded on a desert island. The book is about their survival, their mutal dependence and their evolving relationship. When they are rescued three years into the ordeal, the book looks at what happens when they get back to the "real world."

Besides the fact that it is a good book (and it definitely is that) what makes it notable is that this is the debut book for this author, it is self-published, and initially, at least, it's path to the reading public was in ebook format (although it can be purchased in paperback form.)

The book has made the Amazon bestseller list, the USA Today Bestseller list and the New York Times bestseller list (I think it has gone as high as 7). According to the author's blog the book has been optioned by MGM.

If all that doesn't make it notable, I don't know what would.
chris booklover

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way in which you can NOT include Fifty Shades of Grey?
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would include A Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh. I can remember when it came out and it was huge - also, Balogh is just an absolutely lovely writer.

I would pick your favorite Roberts. You have to include her - she transcends the genre.

Pick your favorite Amanda Quick - she changed the nature of the genre. My understanding it is because of her that we have the all Regency market we do right now.

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart launched the popular gothic line.

I guess I should have asked before but are you looking for the books that formed the genre and are notable within it? Or are you looking for books librarians should recommend right now?

maggie b
Lynda X

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything by Courtney Milan and Carla Kelly. The first is going to be a major author and the second already is, although she doesn't get the attention that she deserves, IMO.
Pop Tart

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I should have asked before but are you looking for the books that formed the genre and are notable within it? Or are you looking for books librarians should recommend right now?

I'm aiming for books that they could add to their collections and recommend right now - so more recent, though they don't have to be brand new. I'm trying to cover a range of sub-genres.

Quote:
Is there any way in which you can NOT include Fifty Shades of Grey?

I'll probably mention it in passing, but more in terms of other books that could be suggested next to fans. Most librarians have heard about these books by now so I plan to talk about readalikes (so if you have any of those I'd love to hear about them).

Books I know I'll be including: Oracle Moon by Thea Harrison (her best since Dragon Bound and a great urban fantasy/romance, The Other Guy's Bride by Connie Brockway, fun book but notable as the long awaited sequel to As You Desire and as a first book in Amazon's Montlake line. Cinder by Marissa Meyer as a good Young Adult SF/romance, Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connell - good western.

Cecilia Grant's book is definitely on my list of possibles as is Courtney Milan (who I love) and I'm thinking about Kate Noble. Problem is these are all historicals so I'm trying not to overwhelm with them.
erika

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty Shades is definitely noteworthy because it got me to download that kindle app to read it in Dec. I was sooo anti ebook. I loved the paperback now I'm finding a whole new world of romances in the ebook format.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have mostly recent historicals to suggest too but I'll give the reasons I picked them.

Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, a book that hit the top ten of all kinds of polls and still has continuing buzz because of the sequels and with Ian in them.

Forbidden Rose or The Black Hawk, for what an impact and place Joanna Bourne has made in romance. I'd pick FR. Or both?

Silk Is for Seduction primarily for Loretta Chase's on-going, highest of standings in the romance world, but also because of the strong, capable working heroine with extended family, the unusual plot, and Chase's unfailing writing skills.

Mischief of the Mistletoe for being set in two time periods, with the present day heroine being a researcher. Also for the humor--Turnip Fitzhugh.

The Wild Marquis because the plot involves rare books and manuscripts.

How about any of the recent reissues of all the Mary Baloghs that have stood up so well with time? The Famous Heroine?

A fairy-tale themed book? When Beauty Tamed the Beast?

And I think Kate Noble is another unbeatable pick. I'd go with Follow My Lead for the road journey theme (including ship passages), in Europe, with lovely characters.

Last edited by Eliza on Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ash

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for Courtney Milan's books and would also like to suggest

Tessa Dare's spindle cove series, both "A Night To Surrender" and "A Week To Be Wicked" are lovely

Alissa Johnson's "Nearly a Lady"

Heather Snow's "Sweet Enemy" this is a debut novel with an unconventional heroine and a wonderful plot

If you are willing to include chick lit with a romantic element I suggest taking a look at Sophie Kinsella's "I've Got Your Number".
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me any notable romances are the kind that have true deep characterizations to them. I think these authors do a standout job on their romances because of the fact that their characters aren't black and white but have layers.

Sherry Thomas
Judith Ivory
Laura Kinsale
LaVyrle Spencer

To name a few. There are just no set standards for their characters and the storylines these authors give us leave you thinking long after you finish the book.

Many other authors as well but these are the ones that come to my mind at the moment.
Sterling_95

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Julie Ann Long's What I Did for a Duke did very well, both market-wise and review wise.
Nana

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Butterfly Swords and other books by Jeannie Lin? Nothing busts stereotypes quite like handing somebody a really well-written Harlequin set in Tang Dynasty China.
Pop Tart

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeannie Lin is a good idea Nana - she is definitely notable for her settings and characters and someone who's probably not as known to librarians.

I loved What I Did for a Duke by Long but will probably have to leave it off the list because I've got enough English historicals. I am going to include Alissa Johnson's Nearly a Lady (which I also loved) because I think it's a good example of a straightforward, almost traditional romance - no big, bad villain, no spy heroes, etc. Will probably also mention Joanna Bourne who is doing some great stuff.

What I'm looking for now is a straight contemporary - no suspense, not chick lit. I talked about Kristan Higgins the last time I did one of these panels. No one else is jumping out at me.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One book that knocked me upside the head and kept me looking sideways for quite some time was Broken Wing by Judith James. While I didn't have quite the same reaction to other books, I did very much enjoy them. Their unusual setting makes them quite unique I think.

Pamela Clare's Frontier set books are also fascinating and really manage to bring you into the times they are written in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: