The Maid
Grade : B-

In Nita Prose's The Maid, we are given a first-person narrator in Molly—the Maid herself. Molly, a presumably neurodivergent young woman, finds her sole joy in working as a housemaid at the Regency Grand. Following the recent loss of her beloved Gran, Molly navigates a world where understanding others' responses remains a constant struggle, leaving her largely isolated.

Despite her solitude, Molly harbors feelings for Rodney, the attractive bartender, and forms an intriguing yet complex connection with Giselle, the trophy wife of the odious Mr. Black, who runs a questionable business empire from the hotel's penthouse. When Molly discovers Mr. Black dead in his hotel room, the mystery of his demise unfolds, leaving questions of murder and suspect identities lingering. Could it be Rodney, revealed to the reader as a man not worthy of Molly's affection? Or Giselle, who exudes charm yet emits an air of untrustworthiness? Or someone else--the Regency Grand is teeming with colorful characters, each a potential suspect in this plot.

As a mystery enthusiast, it was evident to me early on who was behind Mr. Black's demise and why, leaving the anticipation for when Molly would uncover the truth as the primary intrigue. However, the revelation of this mystery took an unreasonably extended period, diluting the impact of the narrative.

Having heard considerable praise for The Maid, I held high expectations that unfortunately weren't met. While the novel adeptly highlights society's dismissive treatment of service workers and individuals with different abilities, the narrative feels disjointed from reality, lacking a grounded connection to plausibility.

The commendable exploration of societal themes juxtaposes sharply against the narrative's struggle to weave a believable plotline. Molly's journey and the societal reflections within the novel are significant. Still, the narrative's disconnection from credibility and the delayed resolution of the central mystery ultimately compromise the overall storytelling experience.

In essence, The Maid attempts to address substantial societal issues but falters in grounding its mystery in a believable reality, leading to a disparity between the compelling societal dynamics and the narrative's tenuous link to a convincing plot. I suspect that many readers will enjoy it but I found it a letdown.

Reviewed by Dabney Grinnan
Grade : B-
Book Type: Fiction | Mystery

Sensuality: Kisses

Review Date : January 11, 2024

Publication Date: 01/2022

Review Tags: autism neurodiverse

Recent Comments …

Dabney Grinnan

Impenitent social media enthusiast. Relational trend spotter. Enjoys both carpe diem and the fish of the day. Publisher at AAR.
Subscribe
Notify of

9 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x