AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cover Cafe's Contest for 2011 book covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catgrace

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
... the most unhappy Christmas ever for this trio.

I thought this was two people, with the guy's reflection showing in a mirror? Either way, it is a terrible cover. They both look glum, and the man's backside really clashes with the warm, holiday feeling of the rest of the picture. I'm embarrassed for him.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, you're right, that is a mirror. Missed it. Still, most depressing Christmas ever for these losers.

Very Happy
Nana

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JyLnC wrote:

Chain of Kisses, Home for Christmas, Blood Slave, Sweet Temptations, The Last Soul, and The Belle Stalker are eBooks. They were all published by established eBook publishers.

Es ist ein Mann entsprungen, Sequins, Saddles, and Spurs, One Night in London, and My Life as a White Trash Zombie are print books. They were all published by Major Publishers.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the Ellora's Cave one, in particular, was Ellora's Cave ebook or print.

Personally, I still value a terrible concept over something that is terrible because it was slapped together quickly. But a lot of people find e-book covers really disappointing so hopefully the contest will shed positive and negative lights on ebooks, reminding publishers that even though we haven't bought a physical copy, we still care about that image.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starcrossed - I've gotten used to covers featuring the lower half of faces, but I guess I'm still behind the aesthetic curve for covers featuring the back half of faces. It's probably supposed to lead you into the book, but my brain interprets this cover as a trimming registration error.
Angels of Darkness - I think the title and cover perfectly complement each other and match the text. What more could you ask for?

The Deed - Anyone know how medieval guys removed their arm pit fur? (I tried googling this BTW. Don't make the same mistake.)
A Bride Unveiled - Bridal pleasure = stunning dress + huge yet cozy house? Sure, I'm down with that.

The Lady of Bolton Hill - pet peeve: historical covers with prom dresses.
Le guerrier Irlandais' - What exactly is she doing out there, on that rock, when it's about to rain...wearing a prom dress? Maybe I'm supposed to read the book to find out, but the cover doesn't make me want to. (&BTW, I can recommend the guy daddy uses to pressure wash that castle.)
Blue Skies Tomorrow - Soooo close, but her body language says something faintly unpleasant about his body language. Maybe if she'd been demurely holding her purse in front of her or something.

All I Want Is You - Awww - can I come to the wedding?

Ready for the King's Seduction - His hair - did he just take off his crown?
To Wed a Rancher - He's cradling her in a wedding dress, she's playfully got his hat, there's a field of springtime wild flowers and they're walking off into a sunrise - I like HEAs and this cover is all in with the promise of one. Two thumbs up.

Chain of Kisses - The book is advertised as 'futuristic, action/adventure, sci-fi, BDSM' and IMO that's what the cover says, too. I think it works fine - this book's subject matter is just not a message you're going to sell with a prom dress.
Sweet Temptations - The foreground, the background, his 'getup', her - is that a swimsuit top? - the facial expressions - the whole thing is just a jumble. Honestly, the best thing about this cover is the train trestle.

Best,
Lilly

PS - The Chain of Kisses cover is digital art by the author.
JyLnC

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lillian - love the observations - made my afternoon reading them. One of my favorite parts about sponsoring the contest is getting to read all of the voter comments. I always learn new things. Laughing

As far as the artist on Chain of Kisses, we do not research the artist information on the covers to avoid added embarrassment for the artist. We only verify if the cover was published by an established publisher. I know there are probably several authors who create their own covers and hopefully, we will see them reach the finals in the other categories.

Linnae aka JyLnC
Cover Cafe Committee Chair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: