AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty Shades #3 - The Discussion Continues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diana

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Fifty on my kindle now. I caved.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

Diana, it was only a matter of time, hope you enjoy it! lol

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a riot, Lucky Magazine has a section on fashion inspired by Fifty Shades! There' s a quote from the book to go with each item. Very Happy

http://www.luckymag.com/blogs/luckyrightnow/2012/05/shop-it-out-fifty-shades-of-grey#slide=1

Linda
janet w

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: 50 fashions + 50 quotes = F0abulous! Reply with quote

Linda, I don't know if you're on twitter but I've tweeted out a lot of your terrific finds -- thanks! @janetnorcal
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 fashions + 50 quotes = F0abulous! Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
Linda, I don't know if you're on twitter but I've tweeted out a lot of your terrific finds -- thanks! @janetnorcal

Janet, I am on Twitter @mykoffee , but I almost never tweet, I use it more to keep in touch with my favorite shows, designers, actors, etc.

Most all these finds I've posted here have come from the official Facebook page for the trilogy -

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/FiftyShadesOfGreyTrilogy

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

Good for you!
xina

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
This is a riot, Lucky Magazine has a section on fashion inspired by Fifty Shades! There' s a quote from the book to go with each item. Very Happy

http://www.luckymag.com/blogs/luckyrightnow/2012/05/shop-it-out-fifty-shades-of-grey#slide=1

Linda

Lol....how great is this? I read somewhere that the tie sold out right away. I don't know if it was that one or not. Smile
janet w

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Fifty Shades of Grey spoofed on SatNightLive Reply with quote

This is hysterical -- I should imagine Amazon's Kindle's sales might soar Smile

Hilarious. Fifty Shades of Grey Parodied in Mock Mother's Day Commercial on SNL http://www.gossipcop.com/fifty-shades-of-grey-snl-video-commercial-ad-parody-mothers-day/ via @gossipcop
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey spoofed on SatNightLive Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
This is hysterical -- I should imagine Amazon's Kindle's sales might soar Smile

Hilarious. Fifty Shades of Grey Parodied in Mock Mother's Day Commercial on SNL http://www.gossipcop.com/fifty-shades-of-grey-snl-video-commercial-ad-parody-mothers-day/ via @gossipcop

That is a RIOT!! LMAO X 10000000! Laughing

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA! That is hysterical. I missed SNL last night.

Hey...you know you've arrived when SNL does a parody!!
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I can't believe I just read 1000 pages in, what, 10 days?

Just as unbelievable, I paid $24 for the trilogy last Monday (courtesy of a posting on Craigslist) so I wouldn't have to wait for the library copy of book 2. Books were like new, I guess the price is decent enough if you like the books, and I do--it's just not something I would usually do.

Anyway, I think I'll take a bit of a break before plunging into book 3. I'm starting Mary Balogh's The Proposal. Smile

I must say, as a sometime-reader of fanfic--back when Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on, there was some terrific Spuffy and Spander fanfic out there, plus I'm partial to North & South fanfic--I'm impressed with the sheer size of this opus. And it was published as fanfic; I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been for readers to wait for each chapter to post.

My experience with Twilight begins and ends with the first movie. It was so awful--just remembering Pattinson's white makeup makes me laugh--I abandoned any further attempts to read/watch anything Twilight. And I'm glad I did, since there wasn't any "Edward/Isabella" comparison for me as I read FSoG and FSD.

As many flaws and annoyances as the writing has--one of the biggest of these, for me, being that THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AMERICAN, STOP PRETENDING THAT THEY ARE (I mean, a syllabub? really?)--there's also a lot that E L James gets right, IMHO.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
As many flaws and annoyances as the writing has--one of the biggest of these, for me, being that THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT AMERICAN, STOP PRETENDING THAT THEY ARE (I mean, a syllabub? really?)--there's also a lot that E L James gets right, IMHO.

If I could change anything about the books it would be to either correct the language so it actually sounds like it's coming from Americans or change the setting to the UK. I was able to overlook it for them most part but sometimes the terms did throw me out of the story, for instance in one scene Ana is talking about going out with her friends to 'throw some shapes', she uses this expression twice and the best I can get from the context is that they're going to go out dancing. (?) I think brolly for umbrella is also used and I recall satchel instead of purse or bag and that threw me off, I thought maybe she meant a briefcase.

I have no idea what a syllabub is! lol

Linda
stl_reader

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy the BBC: Syllabub = "A delicious Old English dessert made with whipped cream, sherry or white wine and sugar, and often infused with lemon."

Gosh, Ana might as well have said they were enjoying spotted dick for dessert. (Yeah, go look that one up.) Because, you know, we Americans all love our syllabubs and spotted dicks...

Best way to take me out of the story? Have Ana musing how she's baffled a bit by some cricket term Grey's British therapist uses. Come on, Ana, you're not fooling anyone.

I've tried in vain to mentally translate this book into "American" English, but honestly, I'm not sure it would work for me that way. British English seems so much...sexier? More alluring? More classically romantic?

I've been peeking at Book 3 on and off...whoever said this stuff is like crack isn't far off the mark, AFAIC.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
, but honestly, I'm not sure it would work for me that way. British English seems so much...sexier? More alluring? More classically romantic?

Bwah!! I kinda like the formal way with which they speak, it is sexy! So I guess I'll put up with the words and phrases that I don't understand.

You can't make me look up spotted dick, it sounds like something quite unpleasant and maybe itchy lol.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

I was able to overlook it for them most part but sometimes the terms did throw me out of the story, for instance in one scene Ana is talking about going out with her friends to 'throw some shapes', she uses this expression twice and the best I can get from the context is that they're going to go out dancing. (?) I think brolly for umbrella is also used and I recall satchel instead of purse or bag and that threw me off, I thought maybe she meant a briefcase.

I have no idea what a syllabub is! lol

Linda

Yes...'throw some shapes'. I had to read that twice thinking that I missed something. Picturing in my head cut outs of squares and triangles being thrown on the dance floor. Fun! More...culottes instead of underwear, and 'looking smart'. I knew what she meant, but also imagining a brainy individual...LOL!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: