AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cover Cafe's Contest for 2011 book covers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Cover Cafe's Contest for 2011 book covers Reply with quote

Cover Cafe's annual Romance Cover Contest is now online for public voting until May 16, 2012!

http://www.covercafe.com/contest/2011/contest2011intro.shtml
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, my. All of the "worst" deserve recognition.

I gave my vote to "Es ist ein Mann entsprungen" because of the horrible pun on the Christmas carol "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen" (Lo, how a rose e'er blooming).
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I misread and thought we were voting for the worst cover, so my vote for the Alternate Reality cover should be voided, haha

Linda
PatW

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:

No kidding! I voted for the one that made me laugh out loud "Sweet Tempttions"; the photoshop artist must have had really bad day to get the "parts" so misaligned.
brwneyedbeauty

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, except one, in the Worst category were horrible. The one that wasn't bad, to me, was One Night in London. I don't see anything wrong with the cover. That book was really good and I hope people don't dismiss it because of this.

Anyway, it was a hard decision, but I voted for Chain of Kisses.
Cora

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:

I gave my vote to "Es ist ein Mann entsprungen" because of the horrible pun on the Christmas carol "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen" (Lo, how a rose e'er blooming).

I don't really see much of a problem with Es ist ein Mann entsprungen apart from the lame title. In fact, I actually bought that book as a Christmas present for a friend.

I don't have a problem with I was a white trash zombie either. The cover would not work for a romance novel, but then I was a white trash zombie isn't romance and for fantasy/horror the cover is appropriate.
JyLnC

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda - I deleted your AR vote as requested. Thanks for voting again and leaving a note in the comments.

Cora - I love the naked Santa cover but I was out voted on the committee this year and it ended up on the final slate. As for My Life as a White Trash Zombie....it's all about taste. I just saw a Zombie episode on Castle and they didn't look as attractive as the Zombie on this cover. I still wouldn't want to be seen holding that cover in public unless I was using an eReader. About it not being a Romance...both Amazon and Barnes and Noble reviews mentioned a smattering of romance or a love story at the end so it was allowed in the contest.

Brown Eyed Beauty - One Night in London made it onto the final slate as the Worst Committee Chair's 10th Choice. The way she is bent over and then looking over her shoulder looks very strange & not sexy. My first thought was...is she checking to see if her dress is caught in her undergarments? But it also looks like she is bent over in a sexual position. It made me laugh and I wonder if there was a scene like this in the book.

Thanks for voting!

Linnae aka JyLnC
Cover Cafe Committee Chair
Danielle D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look forward to this contest!!!! Thanks for posting the link.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I think the funniest of the "worst" covers is Home for Christmas. Despite the cheery looking house and twinkling tree, this looks like it's going to be the most unhappy Christmas ever for this trio.

And when I look at the expression on the woman's face, I get the impression she must be thinking, "You expect to show me a good time with that little thing?"

Or actually, she looks so bored, maybe she's just a hooker and she's waiting for him to pay her so she can get the hell out of there.

Also, what's up with the weird Santa hat on the guy in the background?

My runner up for worst cover would be the awful, awful Sweet Temptations. There are no words.
Teri P

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This contest is always a lot of fun! I really enjoy looking at past winners, so you can see just how far romance covers have come through the years. I do like some of the older covers though. A lot of thought was put in to some of them.

I wouldn't miss voting in the worst category either. That used to be what it was all about!!!
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this contest!

Did anyone else notice that the same image appears in the alternate reality and two page cover sections?

The worst cover entrees were hilarious this year. Chain of Kisses almost got my vote. Who designed those costumes? That poor model! But I ended up voting for Belle Stalker - that dude looks like a meth lab guard.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendydfw wrote:
Love this contest!

Did anyone else notice that the same image appears in the alternate reality and two page cover sections?

The worst cover entrees were hilarious this year. Chain of Kisses almost got my vote. Who designed those costumes? That poor model! But I ended up voting for Belle Stalker - that dude looks like a meth lab guard.

I have to admit that I voted for Chain of Kisses! What were they thinkin!?!?!?

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Pan's Wife

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of voting for One Night in London because it's from a major publisher and a somewhat established author. Avon has the money and art department to do much better. The other books look almost like self-published hack jobs, as if the author hired some teenager who does graphics in his parent's basement to create a cover. I have to take resources into account on these things.
Nana

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan's Wife wrote:
I'm thinking of voting for One Night in London because it's from a major publisher and a somewhat established author. Avon has the money and art department to do much better. The other books look almost like self-published hack jobs, as if the author hired some teenager who does graphics in his parent's basement to create a cover. I have to take resources into account on these things.

I agree completely. To me, the ability to produce something so awful with an actual budget and with people who presumably approved the cover, is much more impressive than making something awful in 20 minutes on a computer.

Are all of the other ones actual print covers, or are some of them e-book?
JyLnC

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendydfw - I noticed the similar images and checked them out when they were nominated. The covers were produced by two separate publishing houses. The art directors probably used the same photo stock source for a lady in a red dress or they used the same model but the layout and backgrounds are totally different.

Nana & Pan's Wife - 2009 was the first year we opened the Worst nominations for print books from small publishers and eBooks from major publishers. In 2010, we opened nominations up to include all eBooks except self published. Once small publishers and eBook covers made it into the finals in the other categories, they faced the same fate if they produced inferior covers....the infamous Worst category.

We still have a ban on self published books, both print and eBook, appearing in the Worst category. However, in 2011 we have our first self published cover in the finals. Peggy Webb's self published Touched by Angels is one of the CO finalists. It is a beautiful cover and disproves the theory that you need a big budget and countless publishing employees to create great covers. You just need someone with artistic and graphic talent designing your cover.

2011 eBook vs. Print in the Worst finals:

Chain of Kisses, Home for Christmas, Blood Slave, Sweet Temptations, The Last Soul, and The Belle Stalker are eBooks. They were all published by established eBook publishers.

Es ist ein Mann entsprungen, Sequins, Saddles, and Spurs, One Night in London, and My Life as a White Trash Zombie are print books. They were all published by Major Publishers.

Thanks for voting!

Linnae aka JyLnC
Cover Cafe Committee Chair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: