AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sookie 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I don't think so. Highlight to read:There was all the commotion over the babies and then the ending with Sam. Also, the bar partnership. I think the series will close out with Sookie and Sam running Merlot's with a bunch of puppies around them.

That's the ending I *think* will happen but this series has surprised me before.
maggie b.

Maggie you could be right, is AAR doing an offical review I hope?

Linda
kris

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't know what to think about how this series will end
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Linda, you had a good point about Sookie writing the will. What does that mean? I never thought of Sookie becoming a vampire but that is really the only way that she and Eric can have a future together.
I don't think that Eric could forgive Sookie for using the Claviel Dor on Sam. Emotionally Eric and Sookie are drawing farther apart while Sam and Sookie are becoming closer. Curious what everyone thinks about all this.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
maggie b. wrote:
I don't think so. Highlight to read:There was all the commotion over the babies and then the ending with Sam. Also, the bar partnership. I think the series will close out with Sookie and Sam running Merlot's with a bunch of puppies around them.

That's the ending I *think* will happen but this series has surprised me before.
maggie b.

Maggie you could be right, is AAR doing an offical review I hope?

Linda

Yes, although I don't know when it will be posted.

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to kinda wait to say more about it until the official review but we'll see. I know a lot of folks haven't read it yet and I don't want to be too spoilerish.

Linda
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kris wrote:

I don't think that Eric could forgive Sookie for using the Claviel Dor on Sam.

Well, if he can't, she's better off knowing it. Anyone who thinks a person should let a friend die just to save him from having to make a decision he doesn't have the plain old-fashioned gumption to be willing to make himself isn't worth keeping around in the long run.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
kris wrote:

I don't think that Eric could forgive Sookie for using the Claviel Dor on Sam.

Well, if he can't, she's better off knowing it. Anyone who thinks a person should let a friend die just to save him from having to make a decision he doesn't have the plain old-fashioned gumption to be willing to make himself isn't worth keeping around in the long run.

Agreed!

Linda
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veasleyd1 wrote:
Got it; read it. IMHO it's far better than the last couple of books in the series. I have no idea in the world how she plans to finish this up.

I thought it was also better than the last couple of books. I am still routing for Eric, but he will have to put Sookie first to win her. Bill has learned to put Sookie first and I would not be terribly disappointed if they ended up together. I like him more and more with each book. I love Sam, but I have a hard time envisioning them with a HEA. That relationship almost feels like it would be incestuous to me. He is a better brother to her than Jason. Harris could just decide that none of them are good for her and or we could end up with a weird pairing (like Remy - she could help him raise Hunter). Unfortunately, now we have to wait a year at least to find out.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me what you all liked about this book, I didn't enjoy it as much. Crying or Very sad It wasn't until the end and the interactions with Sam that I started to enjoy it but I definitely agree that he is more of a brother.

Now with shifters, don't they age slowly? So it Sam could outlive Sookie as Eric or Bill would?

I'm a fan of an Eric and Sookie pairing but it wasn't always that way, I enjoyed her with Bill in the beginning. So I would be ok with either I suppose, which knowing my luck means it will be Sam, haha

Linda
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Tell me what you all liked about this book, I didn't enjoy it as much. Crying or Very sad It wasn't until the end and the interactions with Sam that I started to enjoy it but I definitely agree that he is more of a brother.

Now with shifters, don't they age slowly? So it Sam could outlive Sookie as Eric or Bill would?

I'm a fan of an Eric and Sookie pairing but it wasn't always that way, I enjoyed her with Bill in the beginning. So I would be ok with either I suppose, which knowing my luck means it will be Sam, haha

Linda

I think this book was a little more linear and not quite as rambling. I like how Sookie stood up to Eric and did not give in to his attempt at manipulation when it became apparent he knew she had the cluviel dor. She basically kind of threw down a gauntlet. She knows that the Queen can give Eric everything he wants - an escape from Felipe, power, wealth, etc. But I also think that because Eric wanted her to use the cluviel dor to rescue him, he does love Sookie. Pam told Sookie that she would be tested to see what she is made of. I think Eric is being tested to see what HE is made of. Does he take the easy way out, or does he fight for what he wants? Sookie is coming into her own after a lifetime of thinking she will never get what she wants and she is beginning to realize her own worth. I am looking forward to seeing how Harris ends it. Another sad day for me when the last book is read.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryskl wrote:
I think this book was a little more linear and not quite as rambling. I like how Sookie stood up to Eric and did not give in to his attempt at manipulation when it became apparent he knew she had the cluviel dor. She basically kind of threw down a gauntlet. She knows that the Queen can give Eric everything he wants - an escape from Felipe, power, wealth, etc. But I also think that because Eric wanted her to use the cluviel dor to rescue him, he does love Sookie. Pam told Sookie that she would be tested to see what she is made of. I think Eric is being tested to see what HE is made of. Does he take the easy way out, or does he fight for what he wants? Sookie is coming into her own after a lifetime of thinking she will never get what she wants and she is beginning to realize her own worth. I am looking forward to seeing how Harris ends it. Another sad day for me when the last book is read.

I have a sinking feeling that CH has used the last couple books to phase Eric out, as she did with Bill, so I guess that's what I found most disappointing. To me they've felt like the beginning of the end of the Sookie/Eric pairing, very little page time given to the character or them together. I'm getting Bill/Sookie deja vu here, though I hope that's not the case.

I agree that Sookie has come into her own and that's a good place for her to be, especially at the end of a series. I wouldn't be surprised if CH left left her without any of them as a HEA, as each pairing has it's downside. It will be interesting to see.

Linda
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my copy to a friend so I don't have it in front of me but I really got the impression that Eric WAS out at the end. He wanted Sookie to get him out of the contract without ramifications. She didn't. She thought it was a test for both of them - each wanted the other to make a decision that the other refused to make. They "failed" each other's test so to speak. So I had a sense that that was it.

I liked this book because I never liked Eric for Sookie.Eric is smart, manipulative and conniving. That is not Sookies natural element nor did she enjoy that element. One of them was goint to have to change. She tried but she was getting tired. It was never a natural fit for her. There was no way he was going to settle down and just be with her. When he did that in the book where they first got together, they worked. They haven't really worked since.

I found this one a lot like recent others in that it contained a lot of info I just didn't care about. However, the end made up for that. And I enjoy her writing and her world. It tis just that I think we are all tired -reader, writer, Sookie (especially Sookie) and it is time to bring it to a close. I'll be glad to get the next book and see the end.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

I agree that Sookie has come into her own and that's a good place for her to be, especially at the end of a series. I wouldn't be surprised if CH left left her without any of them as a HEA, as each pairing has it's downside. It will be interesting to see.

Linda

Sookie's love life has been so much a part of the books, I hope we have a conclusion. It would be too open ended for me to really be happy without an HEA not because I need one in every book but because this book has really followed Sook as she meets her first guy, goes through several serious relationships and is now contemplating her future. The men have all been such a part of it - Bill, Alcide, the weretiger, Eric - I want to see who she winds up with, even if it some stranger walking into the bar at the beginning of the last book and the book being about her and him. That would make some nice closure - after all the whole thing started when a strange vampire walked into her bar.

maggie b.
kris

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sookie has outgrown all her relationships. Bill was her first and while he still loves her , she just cares for him as a friend. I never cared for the Quinn storyline. Just didn't work for me. Eric and Sookie have too many issues now and I don't really see how they can be overcome.Sam has always seemed more of a brother to her. If her HEA is being alone, I think I'll be okay with that. But I don't know if I see that happening
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
I gave my copy to a friend so I don't have it in front of me but I really got the impression that Eric WAS out at the end. He wanted Sookie to get him out of the contract without ramifications. She didn't. She thought it was a test for both of them - each wanted the other to make a decision that the other refused to make. They "failed" each other's test so to speak. So I had a sense that that was it.

I'm getting that sense too, though I'm not happy about it. Mad I become emotionally invested in these relationships and then they're yanked away. I liked the Eric pairing, I liked the Bill pairing, I could go for either as a HEA for Sookie. I never liked the Quinn pairing and Alcide I thought..maybe but then no. Sam is the brother vibe, I feel no excitement about this possibility at all.

Quote:
I liked this book because I never liked Eric for Sookie.Eric is smart, manipulative and conniving. That is not Sookies natural element nor did she enjoy that element. One of them was goint to have to change. She tried but she was getting tired. It was never a natural fit for her. There was no way he was going to settle down and just be with her. When he did that in the book where they first got together, they worked. They haven't really worked since.

Hmm well I'll grudgingly admit you are right about Eric's character, lol. Still though, to have her hook up with Eric was thrilling! I am peeved with CH for fizzling the fun. Razz

Quote:
I found this one a lot like recent others in that it contained a lot of info I just didn't care about. However, the end made up for that. And I enjoy her writing and her world. It tis just that I think we are all tired -reader, writer, Sookie (especially Sookie) and it is time to bring it to a close. I'll be glad to get the next book and see the end.

maggie b.

I do agree the end was good, the end was the best part of the book for me, finally I was pulled in and really caring about what happened. I was near tears when she saved Sam and how she put her whole heart into this wish. I want them as close friends even though not as lovers. I rarely care about the mystery that's presented in each novel and when too much focus is on that and not enough sexual tension I miss it, that's likely the romance reader in me.

Linda
maryskl

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda
Quote:
Sookie's love life has been so much a part of the books, I hope we have a conclusion. It would be too open ended for me to really be happy without an HEA not because I need one in every book but because this book has really followed Sook as she meets her first guy, goes through several serious relationships and is now contemplating her future. The men have all been such a part of it - Bill, Alcide, the weretiger, Eric - I want to see who she winds up with, even if it some stranger walking into the bar at the beginning of the last book and the book being about her and him. That would make some nice closure - after all the whole thing started when a strange vampire walked into her bar.

I have thought about a whole new person for Sookie's HEA as well. I think I would be OK with that. After all she has been through, she DESERVES a HEA!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: