AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Fifty Shades #3 - The Discussion Continues
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lea AAR



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Posts: 415
Location: Oklahoma

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Fifty Shades #3 - The Discussion Continues Reply with quote

Our second thread on The Fifty Shades of Grey, titled "Continued Fifty Shades of Grey discussion E L James" has become too large for some of our readers to load.

This thread continues that discussion located at:
http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10117&highlight=
_________________
Lea AAR

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..here we go with another thread. Smile
Linda...I sent you an e-mail with my info about the loan of Bared To You. After all these comments, I have to say I'm not that excited about reading it, but will give it a go.

Oh...and just to add...thanks Linda for the loan. Smile
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janet w wrote:

I rely on goodreads as one of the pillars of my "should I buy" tool kit. Katiebabs gave Bared to You a DNF. Of course, Like DA, and most of romland, she wasn't too impressed with Fifty Shades, feeling that the subject had been better written about elsewhere. I bought Bared to You but I'm feeling that stampeded feeling (when EVERYONE recommends a book and I buy it and then just can't get the love). I'm guessing Bared won't come close to appealing to me on the visceral level that Fifty did.

Anyhow, go to goodreads and read Katiebabs for yourself but here's a snippet which gives you a flavour. Must add that Katiebabs is a straight-from-the-hip blogger/reviewer and I've learned tons about YA from her blog!

DNFed half way through. [] Also the writing seems disjointed and stilted at times. Had a hard time following. Seems way too much like Fifty Shades and makes me think the author jumped on the Fifty Shades bandwagon.


I'm glad to hear I am the only one that is having a hard time finishing Bared to You! Xina, I sent you a lend me email and I hope it works. Please let us know how you like it and even if you LOVE it don't feel like you'd hurt my feelings! lol I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

For those that say other books have tackled FSoG maerial and have done it better, I sure wish they'd follow that up with titles and authors, I would very much enjoy finding another little gem like this one.

Side note, at B&N today they had a huge display of all 3 books as you walk in and then behind the counter another.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:




I'm glad to hear I am the only one that is having a hard time finishing Bared to You! Xina, I sent you a lend me email and I hope it works. Please let us know how you like it and even if you LOVE it don't feel like you'd hurt my feelings! lol I'm anxious to hear your opinion.

For those that say other books have tackled FSoG maerial and have done it better, I sure wish they'd follow that up with titles and authors, I would very much enjoy finding another little gem like this one.

Side note, at B&N today they had a huge display of all 3 books as you walk in and then behind the counter another.

Linda



Thanks Linda! With so many so-so reviews of this book, I'm glad I didn't pay money for it. Thank goodness for loaning. It's like a library! Smile
As for recommending other books, DA has a section on books they would recommend to those who loved Fifty. That seems strange to me, since she (they) hated it, gave it an F. So Linda, hop on over there and see if there is anything you like. Smile The experts have spoken.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Thanks Linda! With so many so-so reviews of this book, I'm glad I didn't pay money for it. Thank goodness for loaning. It's like a library! Smile
As for recommending other books, DA has a section on books they would recommend to those who loved Fifty. That seems strange to me, since she (they) hated it, gave it an F. So Linda, hop on over there and see if there is anything you like. Smile The experts have spoken.


Xina, I am afraid to look, lol

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner


Last edited by Linda in sw va on Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:


Xina, I am afraid to look, lol

Linda


Be brave. Smile So..I got the book! I just started it. Thanks again!
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
janet w



Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 363

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Romance at Random has a long blog on what to read next Reply with quote

http://www.romanceatrandom.com/romance-readers-are-asking-what-is-next-after-fifty-shades-of-grey-series-giveaway/

I know I know, you're probably "rolling your eyes", of course the Random House folks have suggestions ... but back BEFORE Vintage Press bought the right to Fifty Shades, I thought the the various people I knew there were really fair-minded -- should I say, open-minded -- about it. Like, they actually read it before passing judgment Very Happy Of course lots of other people did too and of course everyone's entitled to their opinions yadda yadda.

Don't you wish someone would YouTube one of those crazy book signings that E L James in doing in the northeast ... they sound like so much fun!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Romance at Random has a long blog on what to read next Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
http://www.romanceatrandom.com/romance-readers-are-asking-what-is-next-after-fifty-shades-of-grey-series-giveaway/

I know I know, you're probably "rolling your eyes", of course the Random House folks have suggestions ... but back BEFORE Vintage Press bought the right to Fifty Shades, I thought the the various people I knew there were really fair-minded -- should I say, open-minded -- about it. Like, they actually read it before passing judgment Very Happy Of course lots of other people did too and of course everyone's entitled to their opinions yadda yadda.

Don't you wish someone would YouTube one of those crazy book signings that E L James in doing in the northeast ... they sound like so much fun!


Thanks Janet! By the way I went to goodreads but I didn't see reviews? I'm sure I must be missing a section.

Xina, I did check the DA list and actually there are a few books on there I've already liked and enjoyed, though Patience is the only one I'd agree with for a recommendation - if you like this you'll also like this. The others - Smooth Talking Stranger, Blue Eyed Devil are not all that similar to the dynamics of the Fifty books, IMHO.

I want to also say that I've been reading some straight up BDSM books and while they are ok I'm having a hard time getting into the whole thing of collars, beauty in submission, feet kissing, etc. What made Fifty work for me was the heroine really wasn't into all that either but she did enjoy some kink, so the H&H met halfway when it came to getting playful in the bedroom. To me this is more fun and believable than a straight BDSM story with a HEA.

Janet, I bet those videos would be a riot I'm sure! I bet there are a lot of grey ties worn to them as an accessory, haha

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Romance at Random has a long blog on what to read next Reply with quote

janet w wrote:
http://www.romanceatrandom.com/romance-readers-are-asking-what-is-next-after-fifty-shades-of-grey-series-giveaway/

I know I know, you're probably "rolling your eyes", of course the Random House folks have suggestions ... but back BEFORE Vintage Press bought the right to Fifty Shades, I thought the the various people I knew there were really fair-minded -- should I say, open-minded -- about it. Like, they actually read it before passing judgment Very Happy Of course lots of other people did too and of course everyone's entitled to their opinions yadda yadda.

Don't you wish someone would YouTube one of those crazy book signings that E L James in doing in the northeast ... they sound like so much fun!




Good list! The Lady's Tutor is the perfect suggestion!

Yes, my DIL, who has always read romance novels, and loved Fifty Shades texted me a couple nights ago and said there were 500 people at her first book signing. That's crazy that so many people admit to reading it. I think it's amazing. And yes...someone has to get busy and YouTube it!!
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Romance at Random has a long blog on what to read next Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:


Xina, I did check the DA list and actually there are a few books on there I've already liked and enjoyed, though Patience is the only one I'd agree with for a recommendation - if you like this you'll also like this. The others - Smooth Talking Stranger, Blue Eyed Devil are not all that similar to the dynamics of the Fifty books, IMHO.

I want to also say that I've been reading some straight up BDSM books and while they are ok I'm having a hard time getting into the whole thing of collars, beauty in submission, feet kissing, etc. What made Fifty work for me was the heroine really wasn't into all that either but she did enjoy some kink, so the H&H met halfway when it came to getting playful in the bedroom. To me this is more fun and believable than a straight BDSM story with a HEA.

Janet, I bet those videos would be a riot I'm sure! I bet there are a lot of grey ties worn to them as an accessory, haha

Linda




I agree with Patience too, although I find it strange they would rec a book that they hated. And the Kleypas books...what??? I don't get the comparison...at all. The books are great, but I can imagine the disappointment a reader would have thinking they'd be getting a story compared to Fifty Shades....LOL.

I'm thinking that what you said, is the big draw of the books. He fell in love with her anyway, even though she wasn't totally on board with his life style. Romantic..yes.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Diana



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1044
Location: Washington DC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, guys. I haven't been here because I haven't read 50. My plan was to listen to the audiobook but the Random House audio production turned out to be a disaster so, no go. Here's my review of Bared to You if you're interested.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/321241201

I would have welcomed, embraced even an entertaining email. No laughs at all in this one.
_________________
Diana
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Hi, guys. I haven't been here because I haven't read 50. My plan was to listen to the audiobook but the Random House audio production turned out to be a disaster so, no go. Here's my review of Bared to You if you're interested.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/321241201

I would have welcomed, embraced even an entertaining email. No laughs at all in this one.


Diana, this review is spot on, it's like you read my mind!! From the bickering down to the token abusive past to make the characters more sympathetic. No humor, no fun, no personality.

I really don't want to offend those in this thread that enjoyed it, Estelle you've given me some wonderful recs by way of fan fiction and likesbadboys I l know we are often on the same page as far as books and heroes. To each their own, I don't begrudge anyone an enjoyable read!

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
janet w



Joined: 11 May 2007
Posts: 363

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Sophie Kinsella's "I've Got Your Number" a good Reply with quote

follow-on if your fave part of Fifty Shades was the email/texting convos. And it's just a lot of fun Smile

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/294500229
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mirole



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, a lot of interesting points, it's just for me it's a pain to use the quote function on the iPad so I won't give exact quotes.

Linda: we share the same attitude towards BDSM romance 100%. I am still curious though and am waiting for some genius writer who will transcend the genre barriers (for me personally) and will make me love her/his work.

Diane: loved your review of Bared to You but I am mystified- why would you be willing to plough through Bared to You and not give a try to FSoG (you could even skim over some parts but the email exchanges will get you hooked for sure). A lot of people complain that it's too dragged out and needs editing but I am telling you as a very slow reader (and a non-native English reader) that I had no problem whatsoever with the trilogy, the narrative flow was fine for me.

What's funny is that a lot of ladies over at DA are saying they are going to read BtY just in protest to FS phenomenon and a lot of them are praising its cover as a very stylish one not mentioning FS covers. Really? I admit the cover is very erotic but is it original?
No, I've seen something similar on every other Carina Press or Ellora Cave
cover.

While there are some good (albeit not relevant in the context of how they relate to FS tropes) recommendations on that DA thread, some of them were astounding for me. E.g., one of the commenters said she wished Annabel Joseph had recognition EL James is getting. So here's a review of one of AJ's latest novels on Goodreads, decide for yourself how close the tropes of it are to those of FS:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/280203556

Or another poster recommended Carrie's Story - a very popular erotic novel by Pam Rosenthal under a pen-name. I haven't read it in full but read most of it in a bookstore - it's mostly a story of a sex slave training for an auction with no romance in site except for a hint of it in the last two pages.

To DA's Jane's credit, she always responded to such recommendations with her comments alerting potential readers of the differences between FS and recommended reads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mirole



Joined: 06 Aug 2010
Posts: 277
Location: Toronto, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to address Diana but misspelt her name.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group