AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Julie Garwood --- really disappointed!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brett1010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Julie Garwood --- really disappointed!!! Reply with quote

Quite some years ago I read Julie Garwood's "Saving Grace" and loved it. Recently I downloaded "The Bride" for my nook and I HATED it!!!! It seemed to drag on with no real purpose. One meaningless disaster after another. Ugh! Evil or Very Mad A real waste of $5.99

So the question is do I dare try another Julie Garwood?????

Thanks!
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually love Garwood's historicals, including The Bride and Saving Grace. My favorite from her is The Secret, so I would definitely recommend that one! It's one of the Highlander novels that starts a different series from The Bride. I would say keep going. I glommed her and have almost all of her older stuff, though I steer clear of her new books.

My favorites from her:

The Secret
The Prize
Pirate series; Guardian Angel/The Gift/Castles

Last edited by LikesBadBoys on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably get more responses disagreeing with me as she is a well loved author, but I can't read her anymore. I loved her back in the day, I couldn't get enough of her books. But I tried rereading one of her books a couple of years ago, one of the more popular books that got a DIK here and one I adored years ago and I couldn't finish it; not even close.
Fenwick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
You will probably get more responses disagreeing with me as she is a well loved author, but I can't read her anymore. I loved her back in the day, I couldn't get enough of her books. But I tried rereading one of her books a couple of years ago, one of the more popular books that got a DIK here and one I adored years ago and I couldn't finish it; not even close.

I loved her back in the 80's too, Kristie. I even rebought her books in hardcover. But a couple of years ago I started a reread and stopped after a couple. I was just not enjoying them.

I decided not to rebuy any of my keepers in ebook form until I reread them from my shelves. Very few stand up to the test of time or the scrutiny of reading several without waiting for a year to pass. And surprisingly, some other authors that I kept (but weren't as popular) have withstood the test of time.

I love historicals and I reread and rebought the Roselynde series in ebook form to enjoy the history. And this time I noticed how the same areas of conflict with the invading French were mentioned in 1200 as are mentioned in regency books. I loved that aha moment.
PatW

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Julie Garwood --- really disappointed!!! Reply with quote

brett1010 wrote:
"The Bride" ... I HATED it!!!! It seemed to drag on with no real purpose. One meaningless disaster after another.

So the question is do I dare try another Julie Garwood?????

I think if you expand a bit on why you didn't like The Bride from your initial comment, you might get a more informed opinion.. I agree with the other responses that older books have styles that do not always work for us now... and you did say you read Saving Grace some years ago.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished a bit of a glom/reread with Garwood books. I reread, and pretty much enjoyed...The Bride, The Wedding, Honor's Splendour, The Secret and Ransom. Ransom was a first read for me. I think when reading Garwood...the first thing is that you have to like her style of writing and the way her characters behave. I have to admit, that most of her heroines are very alike and the heroes are all take charge and a little annoying, but I was in the mood, and enjoyed them. Her books aren't for everyone, I will say that.
Eliza

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Garwood re-reads were The Secret, Saving Grace, The Bride, Ransom, and The Wedding, in that order, but I haven't re-read them recently.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day I read all of the Garwood historicals. I liked most of the medievals but did not like the Regencies. The characters in the latter were too much the Bestest Heroines Ever and felt a bit cartoonish and not remotely real to me. Her medievals are not books I would look to for an accurate feel for the times, but they were fun. Like some other readers, however, at some point the characters and the events seemed too similar and the books began to run together in my mind. Don't know why this bored me here, whereas similar qualities in early Amanda Quick books make them comfort reads. I wound up giving away all of my Garwood titles except Honor's Splendor -- that one I kept because it still feels fresh, especially the first part up through the journey to the hero's keep. I like that the hero says not a word for the first 50 pages or so after he appears (not sure of the exact count since it's been a long time since I read it).
LouiseAAR

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:

My favorites from her:

The Secret
The Prize
Pirate series; Guardian Angel/The Gift/Castles

I would agree 100% with the list of the best ones, though I would put The Prize as #1. Saving Grace #2, The Secret #3 and then the Pirate series with the last (Castles) being my favorite. I think those are the strongest of Garwood's work. If you liked Saving Grace, then you would probably also enjoy the Prize. The action moves pretty quickly and there is a lot more to it than JUST the romance. Though The Bride was the first Garwood I read, it is not nearly my favorite compared to her others. I haven't reread it in years - while I have reread the ones above!

Hope that helps!
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love an excuse to look at AAR's Top 100 lists, so this is what I found over the years for Julie Garwood:

19. The Bride
39. Honor's Splendour
61. The Secret
64. Ransom
84. Saving Grace

17. The Bride
28. The Secret
50. Honor's Splendour
51. Saving Grace
94. Ransom
99. The Prize

23. The Bride
30. Saving Grace
49. Honour's Splendour
53. The Secret
62. The Prize
74. The Lion's Lady
78. Castles

11. The Bride
20. The Secret
34. Saving Grace
39. Castles
56. The Prize
57. The Gift
74. Honor's Splendour
85. Lion's Lady

2/tie The Secret
5/tie The Gift
10/tie The Bride
15/tie Saving Grace
15/tie The Prize
28/tie Castles
56/tie Honor's Splendour
83/tie The Lion's Lady

Honor's Splendour made every list and The Prize made all but the most recent, so I guess I need to re-read them sometime in the near future. Castles, The Gift and The Lion's Lady held in for a long time too.

Thanks AAR for these polls that I've always found so interesting and helpful!
graceC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

I agree with you. Her books couldn't stand the test of time for me either.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe it's because I was in my 30's when I first read them and now I'm not, but I find her heroines to be complete twits and her heroes to be humourless lunk heads.

Quote:
Honor's Splendour made every list

Sadly, Sad this is the book I tried to reread a couple of years ago and found myself almost gagging at the annoyedness of the heroine.
erika

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently reread The Wedding and still enjoyed it. Ditto many other of her historicals. I actually like Garwood's historical heroines. I can zone out for awhile and relax reading.
Nicole

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceC wrote:
Kristie(J) wrote:

I'm also in agreement with you two. In my early years of reading romance I went through a Garwood phase where I tracked down all her historical books, and read them in succession. I loved them, and promptly put them on my keeper shelves.

Now I feel like I have read so many more books in the genre, and I've come across better books. I'll always be fond of the books, and the author. However, I have no desire to go back and read the books, and I think only one of them remains on my top romances list.
Jane A

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Quote:

Maybe it's because I was in my 30's when I first read them and now I'm not, but I find her heroines to be complete twits and her heroes to be humourless lunk heads.

Quote:
Honor's Splendour made every list

Sadly, Sad this is the book I tried to reread a couple of years ago and found myself almost gagging at the annoyedness of the heroine.

Sometimes I pick it up to read the foot warming scene. But I can't get much past that. Very Happy I haven't bothered with the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: