AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Game of Throne fans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Rogers said
Quote:
I read one volume of A Game of Thrones and found it too brutal to continue with a second book (even though I have them)

He doesn't leave anything to the imagination does he? My husband has read all 5 and he says there are a few scenes in later books I may want to skip over . Once season 2 is done , I will start book 3.
jebe

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
...I'm rooting for Cersei to be spared

I meant Sansa! Shocked Can't believe I made that mistake!!!
JWinter

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that series, I almost left my husband for one of the characters, I wont say who ,lol. The writing took my breath away in places, it is one of those book series that at times you completely feel immersed in the scene, almost as if you're having a out of body experience.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicole wrote:
Figured y'all would appreciate this. It made me chuckle.

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2012/04/and-now-american-politicians-and-stephen-colbert-as-game-of-thrones-characters

That was a hoot - though I disagree with the match-up with Daenarys. I love her character in the series, though the person they matched her up with...... not so much *g*

Quote:
Last nights episode certainly had a lot going on. Daenarys is becoming quite the diplomat/leader. I love how she is learning to play the political game. Tyrion was funny last night . His conversation with his cousin was quite comical.
It's been a few years since I read the second book so I've forgotten a lot of what has happened.

I loved Sunday's episode too. Thankfully, except for bad guys, well, and Renly, who I couldn't figure out his claim, not many died. I know that will change and we will lose more favourites - we have been warned - but it was like that episode was a bit of breather before things get real dark again.
kris

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) said
Quote:
but it was like that episode was a bit of breather before things get real dark again.

And it certainly does get dark again. At least we got to laugh a bit with Sunday's episode. I'm almost afraid to go back to the Joffrey/Sansa storyline because he is such an evil little man.
There's some very interesting things coming up for Daenarys in Quarth.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who killed her people and took her dragons??
kris

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin(J) wrote
Quote:
Who killed her people and took her dragons??

I wasn't able to watch last night but my husband told me that something happened that didn't occur in the books. I don't know if this is what he is talking about. I'll have to watch it tonight and get back to you. I honestly don't remember that happening in the second book(but then my memory isn't great anymore) Laughing
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(but then my memory isn't great anymore) Laughing

I so hear you on that one! Last week I was talking to a Service Provider with the same name as you and I. We got talking spelling and how most people spell the name with a C.H.

Then we got talking about why she called and after I was telling my CM about the call and she asked the name of the person I was talking to and I answered 'Rats!! I forgot to ask her!'

I shall be waiting anxiously for your response, keeping my fingers crossed hoping it's not who I fear it might be. One doesn't know who might be on the chopping block in this series.

And speaking of chopping block, there was this one horrific scene last night.

I was talking to my sister yesterday and she's started reading this series and is loving it (and surprised I'm such a fan of it with so many good characters dying and such). She lives out in the country and only gets basic cable so she isn't able to watch but she's planning on renting the first season. She has finished the first book and is just starting the second one so she wasn't able to help with the dragon question either.
fenellawriter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Game of Thrones Reply with quote

I love this series -was heartbroken when Sean Bean (Ned Stark) was beheaded. Also loved the barbarian warrior who also met a sticky end. I think it's the closest to the book of any series I've watched. Can't wait for the third part.
Fenella Miller (Jane Miller)
D Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Fevre Dream Reply with quote

A while ago, I mentioned that while I didn't feel I could go on with A Game of Thrones (much too brutal for me), I liked Martin's older books, like A Song for Lya, Dying of the Light, and Fevre Dream (the vampire book). Well, I saw a copy of Fevre Dream in the bookstore the other day. It's been republished. I heartily recommend it.

I remember reading Walter Koenig's "diary" of the making of the first Star Trek movie, and he mentioned the book. He thought that Leonard Nimoy had optioned it as a film. I've never heard a word about filming it, but someone should do it. Maybe HBO will consider it now.

Denise
fenellawriter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Game of Thrones Reply with quote

Denise
I didn't know there were other Martin books. Thanks for posting this -I'll borrow a copy form by brother. He's bound to have it as he has all the Thrones books.
www.fenellajmiller.co.uk
D Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: George R. R. Martin Reply with quote

There are lots of other Martin books. There's his Wild Card series, too. But Fevre Dream isn't a Game of Thrones book. It's a stand alone book set on the Mississippi River (mostly on steamboats) during the mid-1800s. Its heroes are a steamboat captain and his friend, the vampire Joshua York.

Denise
robiform

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a huge fan of Game of Thrones--although I haven't read the books yet, I know from reading comments on forums like this, and listening to friends who have read the books, that the television series is true to the book series.

I recently downloaded to my NOOK a book titled Songs of Love and Death, which is edited by George R.R. Martin. It's an anthology of stories about "star-crossed lovers", and among the authors included are people like Neal Gaiman, Marjorie M. Liu, and Diana Gabaldon (not sure if DG's story is a stand-alone or related to the Outlander saga).

Can't wait for Season 3 of Game of Thrones!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: