AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salaisuus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton Reply with quote

Did anyone else here win an ARC of this? It comes out March 6.

I just finished reading it. I liked it. I liked the others in the series, too, but this one felt more real to me. The characters seemed to have more going on and I felt like there was more to the story between the two of them and less of all the other people, which I liked.

I don't think you'd need to read the others in the series (it's a sports series) to like this one. I say this because, though I have read the other books and have them on my bookshelf, I only vaguely remembered the other people mentioned until there was a bit of a refresh on in this book. Oh right, I thought, I remember that couple. And that other couple.

This one is about the hockey player and the bartender. There were two before this and I think there is another one or two after it. It is centered on a family, so beware to those who don't like the "franchise" thing. ;)

One thing I like about this author is her ability to include the reader even though the reader may have no clue about motorcycles or sports. I have read books that have sports players as characters before and it is upsetting when people are saying stuff and I have no clue what they mean. There are sports references and descriptions of play in this book but it was all understandable.

I'm going to have to stop entering contests for ARCs. I just have no clue how to write a book review. LOL. I hope I covered the high points here.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this book on pre-order from Overstock.com.

I'm so jealous that you won an ARC!!!!

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
cdnreader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the cover for Jaci's sport series. Glad you enjoyed Taking a Shot. I'm looking for reviews of the first two books. I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read this author for at least a couple years. There was a time, when I would pick up everything by her.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Taking a Shot by Jaci Burton Reply with quote

Salaisuus wrote:

I don't think you'd need to read the others in the series (it's a sports series)

This one is about the hockey player and the bartender

One thing I like about this author is her ability to include the reader even though the reader may have no clue about motorcycles or sports. I have read books that have sports players as characters before and it is upsetting when people are saying stuff and I have no clue what they mean. There are sports references and descriptions of play in this book but it was all understandable.

I have the opposite problem when it comes to sports romance. For a chick *g* I know quite a bit about sports. It comes from living with three sports mad guys plus I've always loved watching hockey even before that. A couple of authors have really frustrated me by writing sports they don't know enough about. Baseball and hockey are the two I know best and Jill Shalvis has driven me nuts with her baseball series and not knowing enough about the sport, thus making crucial errors. Though in general I love her stories, the errors in the baseball ones took me right out and have driven me mad. As well, Deirdre Martin made a crucial error early in her hockey series and I couldn't even read her after that.

On the other hand, Rachel Gibson writes great hockey romance and I was most impressed in one of her recent books when she mentioned our own local hockey team and even got their team name correct.

I did read the first Jaci Burton book in this series, football I think it was, and really liked it. Mind you I'm not as knowledgeable about football as I am about hockey. Now you have me curious as to how well she knows the sport of hockey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: