AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures and prostitutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Pictures and prostitutes Reply with quote

Pictures refer to the flap in the news media about soldier in Afghanistan taking pictures with dead bodies, and prostitutes refer to the secret service flap. The pictures story makes me ask exactly what is expected of very young men who go off to war. They engage in a hunt, after all, and this instance seems to me no greater wrong than taking one's picture with a five-point buck. As to the prostitutes? Poo-poo happens. Fire them and forget it.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures and prostitutes Reply with quote

dick wrote:
As to the prostitutes? Poo-poo happens. Fire them and forget it.

As I read it, I believe it went beyond engaging the services of prostitutes. I think the agents went to a brothel first (which is legal in that country), then brought the women back to the hotel--into the rooms where it's said the plans and agenda for the President were totally out in the open. Now, apparently, these women were who they said they were. But what if they were not, is what the Secret Service is asking. And they couldn't let it go because they want to make it a warning for the future for agents sent to other countries purposely to guard the President. I think this particular team was the second team, but could have been called in if needed by the first team.

Whether I think it's right or wrong, I too believe certain personal stuff happens when events such as this arise. But the people involved should really pay closer attention to the details--details that could give out information to other people not having the right intentions and which could result in harm to some or many.

Just my thoughts.
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The war dead were human beings, even if they were Taliban in life, and not hunting animals, so there is a huge difference between posing with a dead deer and posing with a dead Taliban. The latter is frankly disgusting, because even dead Taliban still deserve to be treated with some amount of dignity.

When the bodies of dead American soldiers were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu during the whole Black Hawk Down affair, many people were rightfully disgusted at the behaviour of the Somali insurgents. This is no different, only that the roles are reversed.

I have no issue with prostitution, though keeping top secret documents lying around, easily accessible by unauthorized people including prostitutes is just plain stupid.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cora: My point is, that very youthful soldiers are trained to hunt down the enemy and kill them. That differs very little from hunting animals, except the enemy have probably been trying to do the same to the youthful soldier. I can empathize, therefore, with the urge to take a picture commemorating one's success. And I think those of us who don't go off to be hunted and hunt, should feel a bit empathetic with the possible high spirits being successful both at avoiding being the prey and performing the hunt, high spirits which would lead to the picture taking. Soldiers are not trained to be diplomats, after all. They're trained to be killers.
dick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tee: I had not read nor heard that part of the debacle when I posted, which does put a different cast on the event.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
[soldiers are not trained to be diplomats, after all. They're trained to be killers.

Dick, it may not be the military's main focus to teach them to be diplomats but a soldier is more than the sum of their military training. They should have been taught respect by their parents, don't give them such an easy out in this. I've been a military wife for 20 years and I've seen all kinds, most that would know better than to do something so stupid. Getting caught up in the moment is no excuse.

As for the secret service and the prostitutes, another example of poor decision making, they should be held accountable.

Linda
dick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recall standing at parade rest holding a just issued M1, being asked by the company commander what I was. All of us standing there, including me, were to reply: We're killers. That emphasis was part of the training throughout basic. I'm doubtful that training has changed that much over the years. But even if has, to tell youthful soldiers that they were morally corrupt to take a picture of their success seems to me hypocrisy, a pretense that war is moral.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I can recall standing at parade rest holding a just issued M1, being asked by the company commander what I was. All of us standing there, including me, were to reply: We're killers. That emphasis was part of the training throughout basic. I'm doubtful that training has changed that much over the years. But even if has, to tell youthful soldiers that they were morally corrupt to take a picture of their success seems to me hypocrisy, a pretense that war is moral.

Dick, I don't know what branch of service you were in, I could maybe see this mentality still in the Marines but not the Army or the Air Force. Whether or not war is moral, taking your picture with someone whom you've killed is disrespectful, most soldiers we have known would say that's 'f-ed up' and shake their head. But people are people and war can bring out the worst and/or the best, it's a fine line to walk at times.

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick, other details aside, how about this cartoon for the secret service agent who refused to pay going costs for a jump?

dick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one! That cartoon strikes in all directions, I think.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I put this up one time then removed it. But here it is once again.

xina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love both those cartoons Tee. LOL...ain't it the truth??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: