AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are your favorite Linda Howard novels and why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: What are your favorite Linda Howard novels and why? Reply with quote

My favorites are: OPEN SEASON, CRY NO MORE, and DEATH ANGEL.

OPEN SEASON is one of my feel-good re-reads. I love the heroine and the chemistry between her and her hero, and the puppy dog. And I really appreciate that when the heroine realizes she is in danger she doesn't endanger herself further with walking into more trouble but leaves the solving of the crime to the professionals.

CRY NO MORE: Sometimes I am in the mood for an angsty read and that book is certainly ANGSTY. Also, once again really good chemistry between hero and heroine.

DEATH ANGEL: I appreciated the flawed heroine and the err... hero and was totally surprised by what happens to the heroine half way through the novel. I don't get surprised very often reading fiction, so I really like when an author manages to surprise me.
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is McKenzie's Mountain. I like this one best because the suspense is toned down and it focuses more on the love story. I also like the relationship between the heroine and the hero's son.
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites are her earlier books.

Diamond Bay because I love the hero, Kell Sabin

Duncan's Bride because it was a fun take on a modern day mail-order-bride story

Dying to Please because the heroine knew how to take care of herself and the story went in a different direction than I had anticipated

I also remember really liked Open Season and Kill and Tell, but it's been a while since I've reread either so I'm fuzzy on the details.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Season - Love Daisy and Jack. Love the story. Love the characters. Love the setting.

I know I am the only person who thought this but I've reread Cover of Night several times and really enjoy it. The hero Cal is to die for and I liked the kids.

Cry No More
is an intense story but one I just loved. It is a moving tale.

I love the Blari Mallory books.

Dream Man is a truly terrific romantic suspense as is Now You See Her,.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Season - Love Daisy and Jack. Love the story. Love the characters. Love the setting.

I know I am the only person who thought this but I've reread Cover of Night several times and really enjoy it. The hero Cal is to die for and I liked the kids.

Cry No More
is an intense story but one I just loved. It is a moving tale.

I love the Blari Mallory books.

Dream Man is a truly terrific romantic suspense as is Now You See Her,.
mirole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am excited by this topic! Linda Howard is is one of my most favourite authors and so far I loved/liked anything I've read by her. I was disappointed by All the Queen's Men at first but later it grew on me and I even have my own copy now. Linda Howard and Mary Balogh are comfort reads for me in the sense that after I read an especially disappointing book, I pick up a book by either of these authors because it's a guaranteed enjoyment.

My absolutely favourite book is CRY NO MORE which is in my Top Two romance of all times (competing with Heyer's Venetia). I loved the great dramatic story, great chemistry between h/H and many other things, e.g. the fact that they were not breathtakingly beautiful, that the heroine was on friendly terms with her ex and one of the most satisfying and relevant to the story epilogues in romance books.

My second favourite is TO DIE FOR. I normally prefer angsty romance but I loved this lighter one, especially the heroine and her voice and great humour.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love almost all of her books. Not a great fan of Cry No More, but I may have to try it again on a reread. Right now, I am rereading Touch Of Fire...one of her few historicals that I loved the first time around and am loving again. After this one, I will read Angel Creek. Howard writes men well. What more can I say.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love most of her books, but the ones I adore are...
(in no set order)

Son of the Morning - Love me some Niall

After the Night - Of course

Dream Man - The mystery is great and the hero is such a...guy. The secondary characters are also awesome.

A Lady of the West - I enjoy all her historicals, but this is my favorite. The love scenes are delicious.

Diamond Bay - Kell Sabine.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My four favorites are:

Mr Perfect (very funny)
Open Season
Mackenzie's Mountain (great characters)
Sarah's Child (appealed to me in some way)

The last one, Sarah's Child, although I loved it, is definitely not a fav with many.

Last edited by Tee on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Open Season- like others have said it's such a feel good read. I love the character of Daisy and find her genuinely funny and sweet but still intelligent. Naive in some ways but not dumb. The makeover, apartment renovation and the puppy are just so enjoyable. I think they make a very believable couple too seeing that Jack had roots in the community and understood Daisy because of his Aunt. It made the whole romance seem more rooted in reality.

I also love "Now You See Her"- maybe because it was the first Linda Howard I read but also because I liked the somewhat prickly heroine and I enjoy a little supernatural in my suspense as well.

I also re-read the first two MacKenzie books, Mr. Perfect and a lot of the older ones of hers but unlike many I cannot stand After The Night.
Eliza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of the Morning -- Niall. This was my first LH and I loved the time travel and historical aspects..

Mr Perfect --funny, the chemistry, and car washing has never been the same since.

Open Season -- small town setting and librarian paired with former big city cop, just love it. Oh! and the drug store scene!!

Kill and Tell --Marc Chastain, New Orleans balcony-- 'nuff said.

To Die For -- funny, Blair and Wyatt as a couple.

I love the memorable scenes Howard paints that stay in my mind's eye as well as her ability to create great couple chemistry.

I also couldn't agree more with Xina:
Quote:
Howard writes men well. What more can I say.
Manda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPEN SEASON--Heroine is a librarian in Alabama (like me!) so I can't help but love it. Also it's hilarious.

CRY NO MORE--Perhaps the most heartbreaking romance novel I've ever read. But the writing is wonderful. And I think it's LH at the top of her game.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much care for "A Lady of the West," but I like nearly all the rest, especially the early stuff like "White Lies," "Sarah's Child," and the suspense trilogy.
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Perfect - made me laugh out loud.

Son of the Morning - I just loved the entire premise and loved how Grace changed and grew strong throughout the story. Plus, I love medieval stories. What is NOT to like here?

After the Night - I always ask myself WHY I like this book since Gray is such a jerk, but I do like it. I think you have to look hard to find something to like about Gray, but it is there.

Cry No More - Oh...the story of Milla and Diaz is so poignant! The strong man who is tender as a marshmallow inside.

Now You See Her - I loved the paranormal twist.

I would include more, but pretty soon I would just list all of her books.
anastacyann

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed (from most loved/reread, down):

All the Queen's Men (loved Medina since Kill and Tell, reread every year)
Mr. Perfect (reread every year)
Dream Man
Strangers in the Night (collection of 3 novellas)
Kill and Tell

I liked Up Close and Dangerous, but not enough to reread.

I didn't like:

Death Angel
(although the further away I am from reading it the more I think it was my mood, not the book)
Son of the Morning (I don't like time travel very much)
MacKenzie novels (for some reason I just didn't enjoy them, don't know why)
Prey (this worked for a lot of people, and I LOVED the hero, but the rest of the book was a flop for me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: