AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Midsummer Night's Sin - Kasey Michaels (Possible Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: A Midsummer Night's Sin - Kasey Michaels (Possible Spoilers) Reply with quote

I had a much more positive reaction to A Midsummer Night's Sin than the reviewer. This is no surprise to me as I tend to be out of sync with a lot of reviews! I did read the 1st book in the series but agree that AMSNS could be read as a stand-alone. My grade was an "A." Different strokes...

So here is an alternate review from my Shelfari page:

I loved this 2nd entry in the Blackthorn Brothers series. Puck is a wonderful hero who has a wonderful sense of humor, has accepted his position in society as a bastard son of a marquis, and sees life as a joy. He is romantic and a really nice man. Regina is a perfect match for Puck - his true soulmate. Although she is young, she is mature, practical, and an independent thinker who is not afraid to stand up for herself. They made a great couple.

The story's timeframe is condensed with the action taking place over a short span of time. Even so, I found the love story believable under the circumstances and this couple is so well-matched that you can understand the swift fall into love.

We learn a bit more about the middle brother Jack. His life is a bit of a mystery. He does "clean up" work for the Crown in sensitive situations. His work is usually "hush-hush" and you'll never read about his exploits in the newspaper. His story will be told in book #3.

The Blackthorn brothers have an interesting family history which adds an unusual twist to the story. There are hints in these first 2 books that their father wants to gather them all together for a talk about something important. I am dying to know what that is and can't wait for book #3.

Michaels' writing is witty and fresh. The characters are interesting and there are surprises and unusual circumstances that you don't see every day. Her characters are well-rounded and interesting.

Last edited by Tinabelle on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind changing one of the headings on the threads to show spoiler. I would love to talk about it with you, but don't want to spoil the book for others.

http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9680&highlight=kasey+michaels
Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may come out from lurking for just a moment, I too had to disagree with the "C" rating for this book, and for similar reasons to you Tinabelle. I loved the character of Puck in the first book, and I felt that Ms. Michaels was able to keep the feel of the character light even when he was faced with the challenges being with Regina could cause him, both in the immediate situation as well as personally.

Regina was a great counter-point to Puck's lightness. She was smart, grounded, and while completely concerned about the situation they are all involved with, she could also see past those events to the life possible afterwards.

I'd like to second the request to turn one of these topics into a more "spoiler friendly" zone. I've got quite a few theories in my head about the Blackthorn family that I'd love to bounce off someone.
dick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't assign grades to what I read, but were I to do so, I wouldn't change the reviewer's much, but I would have different reasons for assigning it. I thought the book contained too much farce, which appears in nearly everything in it, from Puck's characterization and dialogue, to the cloak and dagger stuff, even though that situation was pretty serious. Even the dialogue and the relationship of the H/h has elements of farce in it, and although at first I chuckled, after a while it became tiresome. A staged farce, such as Shakespeare's Midsummer Dream, can get away with a great deal more farce than a narrative because we watch it; a narrative presentation of farce is a tougher, perhaps an impossible, task. The dialogue is really good for the most part, until the farcical creeps into it as well. I think the reviewer's grade was a just one.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:
Do you mind changing one of the headings on the threads to show spoiler. I would love to talk about it with you, but don't want to spoil the book for others.

http://www.likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=9680&highlight=kasey+michaels

Sure. I put a "possible spoilers" tag on this thread. Smile
Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Midsummer Night's Sin - Kasey Michaels (Possible Spoil Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
I had a much more positive reaction to A Midsummer Night's Sin than the reviewer. This is no surprise to me as I tend to be out of sync with a lot of reviews! I did read the 1st book in the series but agree that AMSNS could be read as a stand-alone. My grade was an "A." Different strokes...

So here is an alternate review from my Shelfari page:

I loved this 2nd entry in the Blackthorn Brothers series. Puck is a wonderful hero who has a wonderful sense of humor, has accepted his position in society as a bastard son of a marquis, and sees life as a joy. He is romantic and a really nice man. Regina is a perfect match for Puck - his true soulmate. Although she is young, she is mature, practical, and an independent thinker who is not afraid to stand up for herself. They made a great couple.

Okay, I didn't feel this. Puck is fun and charming and conniving in the beginning. But for me he loses his charm as his is looking for the missing girls. Regina to me was a cliché or their romance set up was. Meet in the garden, mistaken for un-pure lady, then she goes on to butt in on the investigations. I wouldn't have minded if she used her charm to find out gossip from the ladies. But everytime Puck needs to go off on a dangerous mission - it seems she has to go.

The story's timeframe is condensed with the action taking place over a short span of time. Even so, I found the love story believable under the circumstances and this couple is so well-matched that you can understand the swift fall into love.

I didn't have any problem with believing that they fall in love- although for Regina to lose all the mores of a historical heroine was too much for me. I know that historical authors have to put sex scenes in - but for it to happen before they found her cousin was disappointing but not unexpected. I can't say that I counted down for this but it added to my impression of a cliché heroine. . .(garden seduction, have to go on all the missions, and sex with the hero without thinking of the consequences)

We learn a bit more about the middle brother Jack. His life is a bit of a mystery. He does "clean up" work for the Crown in sensitive situations. His work is usually "hush-hush" and you'll never read about his exploits in the newspaper. His story will be told in book #3.

I liked Jack, although I am not enamored about his estrangement with the family.

The Blackthorn brothers have an interesting family history which adds an unusual twist to the story. There are hints in these first 2 books that their father wants to gather them all together for a talk about something important. I am dying to know what that is and can't wait for book #3.

Michaels' writing is witty and fresh. The characters are interesting and there are surprises and unusual circumstances that you don't see every day. Her characters are well-rounded and interesting.

I did think that the secondary characters were interesting but I couldn't decide if they were well-rounded or different. The heroine parents definitely don't fit the norm. I very much appreciated the ambivalence around the father, but it seem toward the end he became more of a caricature. The mother was the opposite seeming more a caricature in the beginning and then becoming real.

I am glad that you posted your thoughts becausing having a different opinion only helps other readers. I am not sure if I will read the next book are not. But if I don't I definitely want to talk to you about the secret.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh - I enjoyed reading your comments about AMSS. Reads like a Pandora's Box! I definitely agree that posting differing opinions provides a better perspective on a book. It really does give readers more information when making their own choices. And it again proves that people often have opposite views on books. That's what I love about this site - intelligent and respectful dialog.
Jane A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this book, and sadly I have to agree with the C review grade.

SPOILERS

It was not the mystery portion of the plot which bothered me, though. The blame lays squarely on Regina, whom I disliked intensely. She could not have been more stereotypical, from insisting on tagging along in dangerous situations, to insisting that Puck relieve her of her virginity. She claimed that just because she was a woman she was being told to stay at home. The fact that she has no idea what she is doing and would just be in the way doesn't seem to be an issue at all. And to jump so willingly into bed with Puck, in fact insisting upon it, was the final straw. She had known him, what, 3 days? We are told she is upset about her cousin Miranda being kidnapped, but I could see very little evidence of it. She seemed much more concerned with asserting her rights to go into dangerous situations and losing her virginity. She came off as quite self-absorbed to me. I loved the beginning of the book and the description of Puck. I simply could not fathom what he saw in Regina.

Sigh. I did enjoy the first book in the series, and hope Jack's book proves better.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
Leigh - I enjoyed reading your comments about AMSS. Reads like a Pandora's Box! I definitely agree that posting differing opinions provides a better perspective on a book. It really does give readers more information when making their own choices. And it again proves that people often have opposite views on books. That's what I love about this site - intelligent and respectful dialog.

Sorry, I haven't responded sooner. I had a family emergency. I am always fascinated by how each of us interpret or internalize books. I know that I was befuzzled when so many people didn't like SEP's What I Did for Love - I thought it was a good book.

Be sure and post about the third book, because I am going to want spoilers. Wink [/i]
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:
I just finished this book, and sadly I have to agree with the C review grade.

SPOILERS

It was not the mystery portion of the plot which bothered me, though. The blame lays squarely on Regina, whom I disliked intensely. She could not have been more stereotypical, from insisting on tagging along in dangerous situations, to insisting that Puck relieve her of her virginity. She claimed that just because she was a woman she was being told to stay at home. The fact that she has no idea what she is doing and would just be in the way doesn't seem to be an issue at all. And to jump so willingly into bed with Puck, in fact insisting upon it, was the final straw. She had known him, what, 3 days? We are told she is upset about her cousin Miranda being kidnapped, but I could see very little evidence of it. She seemed much more concerned with asserting her rights to go into dangerous situations and losing her virginity. She came off as quite self-absorbed to me. I loved the beginning of the book and the description of Puck. I simply could not fathom what he saw in Regina.

Sigh. I did enjoy the first book in the series, and hope Jack's book proves better.

Women wanting to go on missions just irritate me - unless they have experience. It is not that I believe there is men and women's work. . . it is just unless you know what you are doing, and won't be in the way, stay out of the way.

I didn't read the first book, but since Jack spies for England, I am a little leery that his heroine will want to do the same thing.
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:

Women wanting to go on missions just irritate me - unless they have experience. It is not that I believe there is men and women's work. . . it is just unless you know what you are doing, and won't be in the way, stay out of the way.

I didn't read the first book, but since Jack spies for England, I am a little leery that his heroine will want to do the same thing.

Yes, it's the lack of experience that bothers me, certainly not gender.

In the first book the herione was being pursued by people who did not have her best interests at heart but who did not necessarily mean physical harm. She wasn't put into situations where she had a chance to act TSTL, with one exception. So it was easier to bear. Plus, she was engaged to the hero, so the sex seemed more understandable.

I plan on reading Jack's book. We'll let you know the big secret. Very Happy
PJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading this. Kasey Michaels... adore her novels, but this one was a miss for me. C+ and only because of Puck and how perfectly she crafted him. I can't believe his novel was about slave trade! Not to say that there's anything wrong with novels about slave trade, but Puck is such a refreshingly bright, charming, witty hero (he fairly sparkles right off the pages) and the book did not really give him a chance to truly shine, other than the scene where he brilliantly "plays" Reginald with Jack as his brawn. He's so much different than the standard fare and I was a bit disappointed in this choice.

Puck and Regina... well, they don't hold a candle to Beau and Chelsea. Chelsea matched her arrogant Oliver stride for stride, I mean, she was a bit of a loon... but, an endearing, bon mot tossing loon. Regina, much like Puck, was very much wrapped up in finding her cousin and grieving and feeling guilty about enjoying herself for the majority of the novel. The spark was missing from her and their relationship. And so much time was given towards discussing plans or riding in carriages on their way to carry out plans... got a bit bored a few times.

But, I quite loved Dickie. Hehe. And the particular passages where Puck thinks back on how little he knows of Chelsea, but that he's fallen completely for her and contemplates if that's even possible... brilliant and beautiful.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished this one last night. Oops, let me reword that--DNFd it last night. Not a good one. Kasey Michaels is usually so consistent; however, this one didn't work for me at all. I totally enjoyed the first, Taming of the Rake, and am now wondering just how good the story will be for Black Jack. I am curious about the news to be announced from their father to them. I think we can guess it in some ways, but it still has me a bit baffled.

As long as Jack's story is engaging, which this one was not, it should be okay. I lost interest in Puck and Regina rather early on; and the plot, in spite of its seriousness, did not keep me interested.

Good review, Leigh, on this one. I know we both enjoy Kasey Michaels, but not this time.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else read the third book of this series yet, Much Ado About Rogues? There have been many issues going on with my MIL within the last month and I've really been sidetracked. Sometimes when personal stuff is happening at home, unless a book is superb, it's so difficult for me to concentrate on it. Now having said all that, I didn't enjoy this one. And, of course, I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or if my focus is off.

I'm not sure how I felt about the resolve of the parental issue. A little too convenient? Out of the three books, the first one was fantastic. But that's all the good that I can say about this series. I don't often given second chances to books; but if I hear enough good about this one, I just may revisit it in the future as things settle down at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: