AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Game of Throne fans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Any Game of Throne fans? Reply with quote

I just love this series. I can't think of anything else on TV (except True Blood) that I'm so enthralled with. We don't watch a huge amount of TV but this is one show that none of us will miss. The series is very faithful to the books.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this series! What a wonderful job they are doing of bringing to life the world George RR Martin created.

They change a few things around in order to adapt it for the screen and obviously have to condense some plot lines (Arya-Gendry) etc. to get things moving but it's remarkably faithful.

They do really love to throw a lot of extra sex into it (Renly and his bride for example and the whole Stannis- Melisandre scene) but I guess that sells.

I'm amazed at how perfect some of the casting is - Brienne is spot on. I cannot imagine anyone more physically suited for that role.

Margery Tyrell is a little boring to me- maybe because I think the actress is still playing her version of Anne Boleyn as sex kitten- like she did in the Tudors- but I am excited to see more Jaqen/Gendry/Arya and see how much Ygritte ends up being shown in this series.

I thought they also did a great job of spelling out Theon's dilemma. You really see how torn he is because of his upbringing and his father's treatment of him.

Tyrion is great as usual and Catelyn Stark is perfect as the mother stuck between a rock and a hard place.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: GOT Reply with quote

The actress who plays Brienne of Tarth is exactly how I pictured her. Perfect casting.

Theon Greyjoy certainly comes from a joyless family....pardon the pun. I almost feel a little sorry for him.

I knew that Margery looked familar. I liked her portrayal of Anne Boleyn much better but maybe I'll grow to like her.

Aren't the actors who play Arya and Bran fabulous?

Tyrion , Daenarys and Jon Snow are my favourites. I love how Daenarys is handling her role as Khaleesi.

I read that GOT has been renewed for a third season and it will cover the first half of the third book(which I haven't read yet). Looking forward to Sunday night.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become a huge fan of this series. I'm going to have to rewatching as with the introduction of so many new characters, I'm losing track of them. Your favourites are also mine. I love to see how strong Daenary has become.

And though it almost kills me to do so, but I have to give kudos to the actor who plays Joffrey. A more loathsome, perverted, vile, hateful character I've never seen. There was much I couldn't watch last night it was so dark, but still very compelling.

One of the reasons I adore my new daughter-in-law is because I was telling her and my son last season about how much I was enjoying this fascinating series and based on my enjoyment, she started reading the books and got my son reading them too. They've now read them all so far and are also loving the HBO series.

I really start getting excited Sunday nights around 8:45!!
kris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was pretty intense. Joffrey was disgusting and I'm sure Tyrion will get the message. The actor who plays the part of Joffrey is excellent and terrifying.

The part where Catelyn looked in the chest was heartbreaking.

That last scene was the stuff of nightmares. Shocked
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though my loathing is strongest for Joffrey, I still have a boatload of it foe Cersi and Little Finger. The actors and GRR Martin have a way of making us have very strong feelings for these characters don't they, whether we really like them or hate them.
And yes, last nights episode was the most intense so far and what the heck was that ending??
maryskl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Though my loathing is strongest for Joffrey, I still have a boatload of it foe Cersi and Little Finger. The actors and GRR Martin have a way of making us have very strong feelings for these characters don't they, whether we really like them or hate them.
And yes, last nights episode was the most intense so far and what the heck was that ending??

I love the books and am so glad the series is doing them justice. I cannot rave enough about GOT.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love the books and am so glad the series is doing them justice. I cannot rave enough about GOT.

I know the Mr. Martin is quite involved with the production and I love that an author does get that much say in translating a book into a movie or series.[/quote]
Cora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, George R.R. Martin has quite a lot of experience as a television screenwriter, which is probably why HBO gave him so much input on Game of Thrones.

If you liked the proto urban fantasy show Beauty and the Beast in the 1980s, that was one of the shows Martin worked on in his scriptwriting days.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
Of course, George R.R. Martin has quite a lot of experience as a television screenwriter, which is probably why HBO gave him so much input on Game of Thrones.

If you liked the proto urban fantasy show Beauty and the Beast in the 1980s, that was one of the shows Martin worked on in his scriptwriting days.

I LOVED that show! It was SO romantic and very surprisingly to me, even my husband enjoyed watching it.
Claire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love GoT!

Quote:
you liked the proto urban fantasy show Beauty and the Beast in the 1980s, that was one of the shows Martin worked on in his scriptwriting days

I loved that show too. Very interesting!

I loathe Joffrey with a passion and can't wait til he gets his comeuppance. I haven't read the books and enjoy not knowing whats going to happen next. It can be a little confusing because the plot is so intricate and when new characters are introduced sometimes I'm left wondering if I'm supposed to know them. There's a guide on HBO's site to help show everyone's connections, etc that I need to explore.

Last week, that devil lady, Melissandre (?) gave birth to whatever that thing was, lol! Can't wait til tonight to see what happens next. Last weeks show was quite grim.

Tyrion rocks! Arya, I love her too.
kris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nights episode certainly had a lot going on. Daenarys is becoming quite the diplomat/leader. I love how she is learning to play the political game. Tyrion was funny last night . His conversation with his cousin was quite comical.
It's been a few years since I read the second book so I've forgotten a lot of what has happened.
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of GoT. Love Arya, Jon Snow (big sigh), I'm rooting for Cersei to be spared, Robb is a dreamboat, so many others, too. If we're discussing comeuppances, I'm hoping Theon is on the list. Can't believe how he just abandoned the Starks after being with them so many years. I've never read the books, but I'm familiar with some spoilers, but that doesn't take away from my experience with the show.

I can't believe we're already like 5 episodes in, I think there's only about 10 episodes this season. Tyrion is really the high-point for me, though, he's funny and yet a force to be reckoned with, too.
Nicole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured y'all would appreciate this. It made me chuckle.

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2012/04/and-now-american-politicians-and-stephen-colbert-as-game-of-thrones-characters
D Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Game of Thrones Reply with quote

My favorite book by Martin is a vampire novel called Fevre Dream (it's so, so wonderful--vampires on river boats on the Mississippi). I can't believe it's never been republished. And I loved Dying of the Light (the first book of his I read), and Wild Cards, and A Song for Lya, and many of his short stories.

I read one volume of A Game of Thrones and found it too brutal to continue with a second book (even though I have them). I'm glad I read the first one to get a sense of the series, but because I have a sense of the series, I just can't bring myself to enter that world again.

I understand the appeal of the books, and they are very well written (which is, again, the reason I don't think I can go on with them--we'll see).

I watched most of the first season and thought it was amazingly faithful. I love Peter Dingle as Tyrion Lannister. He's perfect. If I were going to watch more of the episodes, I would watch them just for him because he's such a fine actor.

But really, if you can, you should try to locate a copy of Fevre Dream. You will not regret it. It's beautiful, moving, a real romance. I used to cast it in my head (Rutger Hauer as the vampire--although now he'd be too old (the guy from the Gevalia commercial would be good)--and Ed Asner as his friend the riverboat captain (though now he's too old, too).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: