AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne - Madeline Hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne - Madeline Hunter Reply with quote

I have to agree w/Dabney's review of Hunter's new book. As a fan of Madeline Hunter, I had high expectations for this new series, but I was disappointed. The whole thing just fell flat for me. Frankly, I was bored, especially in the first 2/3 of the book. I didn't particularly like Darius or Emma because I just felt I never really got to know them, especially Darius. They truly did not like or trust each other and then suddenly they were in love? I just couldn't buy it. Lust, yes. Love, not so much. I just didn't care a whole lot about them.

SPOILERS:
I was also very disappointed in the whole resolution of the missing brother. Fear and angst over Robert's death/disappearance led both Emma and her father to treason. It was totally predictable that he was alive but his return and the conditions of his captivity were annoying. He had not suffered one bit and returned with a wife. I had no idea what kind of a person he was but got the feeling that he was weak and immature. I highly doubt he would have risked all for Emma or his father.

I did find some of the secondary characters interesting and felt there are some mysteries and untold stories there. I assume these will be the other books in the series. Not sure at this point if I care enough to read more.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sad to hear this, since Hunter remains on my super short list of historical authors I still read. I do have it on reserve, but now my anticipation for getting it has dropped.
PWNN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing to hear since there was too much time spent lusting and not enough story or real relationship in the first two Bloom books so I stopped reading the series hoping the next series would be different.

And though I know it won't happen, I wish she'd write another Medieval - they're where I believe she truly excelled.
janet w

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Yes to medievals! Reply with quote

I've read and enjoyed many Hunters over the years but only her medieval series is on my keeper shelf. There was a vitality and exuberance to those books that I don't find in her more recent series.

But she's a fine writer and I know I'll read this.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking forward to this one too, although Hunter can be a bit hit or miss with me. This will be a library read, until I can decide if it is worth adding to my e-library.
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this one much more than the reviewer did. It reminded me of Ravishing in Red, the first of the Blooms books, which I also liked.

One of the things that appealed to me was the fact that the heroine recognized the difficulties that faced her if she wanted to continue the family business and didn't simply throw a temper tantrum over the fact that this wasn't 2012.

That is probably something I have mentioned before ad nauseum. What bothers me in historicals isn't a mistake about the type of corseting in fashion in 18XX. It's heroines who don't recognize the social and legal obstacles they face. I'll cheer them on if they want to fight those obstacles, but if they don't recognize the existence of those obstacles, they are simply stupid. And, as Hercule Poirot once said, stupidity is the one unforgivable sin.
jaime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book was so boring - especially compared to DANGEROUS IN DIAMONDS, the last book in her previous series.

I don't really feel like reading on with this series which makes me sad.
LordRose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this a while ago, and I can actually remember the fact that I found it boring. Which is something, I suppose.

I thought the book had some interesting bits of information, but the main characters were rather forgettable. (Some of the secondary characters, on the other hand, seem to have interesting potential. Handsome Stupid Man and the French woman interested me a lot more. And the ex-friend in old fashioned clothes. Honestly, I remember more about them than the main characters.)

Spoiler: The resolution with the brother bothered me, too. Can't missing people in romance novels ever really be dead? Then he returned, was annoyingly weak, and I really just hoped for him to die off again.

I've never really been a huge fan of Hunter. She has a few books I adore, but then quite a few I find boring, as well.
Winnie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked The Surrender of Miss Fairbourne. I didn't find in boring at all. It kept me interested and I like Ms. Hunter's writing style. I plan to read it again.
Marilyn.K

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Hunter fan from way back but this latest of hers was less than spectacular and I found my mind constantly drifting away; it was so boring that it was impossible to focus on. I loved her medieval stories; also The Rules of Seduction. If only she could find her way back.
auburnrenee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with winnie and JaneO. I found the book enjoyable. Superb dialogue, as expected. Interesting background with the auction house and the heroine dealing with society views on women in the business world. I was not surprised at the resolution of the kidnapping.....as the h received a note written in her brother's handwriting. The fact that he was not ill treated, had nothing to do with the h and her father giving their all to recover him. They did not know of his treatment at the time the story was evolving. I would give the story a solid "B".
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement with those here who felt this is definitely not one of her best books. Actually, the whole art auction theme was quite boring and that sort of set the pace for me for the entire story. The dialog between the characters was snappy at times, which was great, but not enough to keep me focused on the story throughout. Of all the characters introduced, Darius and Emma appear to be the best of the crop. I was not impressed with his friends, nor with Cassandra or the other woman (forgot her name already).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: