AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hunger Games Series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngieMB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Hunger Games Series Reply with quote

I just finished Mockingjay last night (I was a little slow finishing up this series), but I wanted to finish before the movie was released. Now I am in a funk because of how it all ended. I first read Hunger Games about a year ago and didn't feel compelled to read Catching Fire, but I read it last week and really, really enjoyed it. So I immediately started on Mockingjay after that, but now I wish I hadn't read it. I mean there was certainly no way I wouldn't have read it to find out what happens, but now I'm wishing for the excitement I felt when I finished the second book.
I really came to care about these characters, and I didn't feel that any of them had a good ending.

Do you think that when they make the final book into a movie that they will tweak the ending a little so that it is a little more satisfying for the audience or even that they may go so far as to leave certain characters alive that she killed off in the book? I'm sure the author probably wouldn't want to do that, but what do you think? And would you want her to change certain things for the movie to make if better?
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter just finished reading this series last night and loved it. I haven't started the first book yet, but will read it, because she is excited for the movie, and I'll most likely see it with her. As for changing the ending in movies from books, they do that quite a bit. And I find it annoying. Two off the top of my head...The Time Traveler's Wife, and The Notebook. Completely different endings making me say..."That didn't happen!!"
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know this as well! I haven't read the last book but i've been spoiled on it, I don't think I will be reading it. It really is a pretty cruel and depressing series and if there's no happy ending after you've made it that far..I don't think it's for me. The first two books were enough. My daughter's read it and she enjoyed them all, she can read some pretty dark books though, one of her favorite authors is Stephen King.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I would be interested to know this as well! I haven't read the last book but i've been spoiled on it, I don't think I will be reading it. It really is a pretty cruel and depressing series and if there's no happy ending after you've made it that far..I don't think it's for me. The first two books were enough. My daughter's read it and she enjoyed them all, she can read some pretty dark books though, one of her favorite authors is Stephen King.

Linda

Same here, with my daughter Linda. She just finished it last night and didn't talk about that part of the book at all. Only that she loved it and couldn't decide what to read next. I pointed her to Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. That's kind of right up her alley.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Same here, with my daughter Linda. She just finished it last night and didn't talk about that part of the book at all. Only that she loved it and couldn't decide what to read next. I pointed her to Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. That's kind of right up her alley.

My daughter loved that one as well! I don't think she's read the sequels though and she's so busy right now, maybe during the summer. She's made of grittier stuff than I am, lol

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunger Games Series Reply with quote

AngieMB wrote:
I just finished Mockingjay last night (I was a little slow finishing up this series), but I wanted to finish before the movie was released. Now I am in a funk because of how it all ended.

Do you like fanfic? This one helped me feel better about the way the trilogy ended: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6659878/1/The_Unrecorded_Hours
AngieMB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunger Games Series Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
AngieMB wrote:
I just finished Mockingjay last night (I was a little slow finishing up this series), but I wanted to finish before the movie was released. Now I am in a funk because of how it all ended.

Do you like fanfic? This one helped me feel better about the way the trilogy ended: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6659878/1/The_Unrecorded_Hours

Thanks. I would have never thought about fanfic, but that's perfect. Thanks for the link.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ending to Mockingjay was a bit abrubt wasn't it? As if she couldn't stand to write the happy stuff for us after putting us through hell. I was thrilled with the pairing at the end though. It made all my reading worth it. And the final scene in the field, too.

Maggie B.
AngieMB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin, that fanfic really helped a lot. I feel much better about it all now. Can you recommend anymore stories as well written as that one was?

I was thumbing through the HG movie companion book yesterday, and it said that Suzanne Collins was a script writer before she wrote books, and she wrote the script for the movie. I think this series is probably going to do well on the big screen, and I'm once again anticipating seeing the movie. So I guess it didn't take me long to get excited about it all over again. It is a great series, despite any of the problems I had with the final book.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
The ending to Mockingjay was a bit abrubt wasn't it?

I thought ALL the endings were abrupt. That was one of my problems with the series. I blame it on the space constraints due to it being YA fiction. I would have loved to have read this story written by someone who could have gone into more detail. I especially thought the last book was complex (despite the somberness) and a missed opportunity to be developed.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
maggie b. wrote:
The ending to Mockingjay was a bit abrubt wasn't it?

I thought ALL the endings were abrupt. That was one of my problems with the series. I blame it on the space constraints due to it being YA fiction. I would have loved to have read this story written by someone who could have gone into more detail. I especially thought the last book was complex (despite the somberness) and a missed opportunity to be developed.

I don't think it is the genre. The Twilight books were huge and even The Prisoner of Azkaban, one of the shorter Potters, was longer than this. Blood Red Road, the new hot apocolypitc YA, is over 100 pages longer than Hunger Games as is A Million Suns. Divergent is 200 pages longer.

I loved the Hunger Games and Catching Fire. My only real complaint is with Mocking Jay. Maybe it needed to be two books instead of one or something but that was the only book I felt the author somewhat lost her way in. Just my opinion of course. I know a lot of people loved it.

maggie b.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
My only real complaint is with Mocking Jay. Maybe it needed to be two books instead of one or something but that was the only book I felt the author somewhat lost her way in. Just my opinion of course. I know a lot of people loved it.

I liked the complexity of it. During the first couple books, the Capitol is presented as so incredibly awful that anything that opposes it must be wonderful by definition. And at first glance, there are elements of 13 that seem really appealing: the people are safe (relatively, compared to others), prepared, fed, armed, etc. But Thirteen is so regimented! It seemed to me that the Capitol was like the ancient Roman empire, but Thirteen was fascist, like Nazism. It seemed like a poor choice between two horrible states. I really liked that complexity. I liked that Thirteen was not the antithesis to the Capitol. It was depressing, of course, but realistic.
EDavis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Hunger Games Reply with quote

I am not sure that they will tweak the movies. I think they will likely be a close reflection of the books. Even though the first movie so far was not 100%. What did you no like exactly. I really enjoyed all three books and found it to be fun reading. Though, it took me a bit of time to get used to the author's writing style, which kindof drove me crazy at first. Also, the fact that the concept comes from a Japanese movie that I saw years ago about some kids who have to pick each other off on a island.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunger Games Reply with quote

EDavis wrote:
I am not sure that they will tweak the movies. I think they will likely be a close reflection of the books. Even though the first movie so far was not 100%. What did you no like exactly. I really enjoyed all three books and found it to be fun reading. Though, it took me a bit of time to get used to the author's writing style, which kindof drove me crazy at first. Also, the fact that the concept comes from a Japanese movie that I saw years ago about some kids who have to pick each other off on a island.

Most people have not been exposed to the Japanese book and movie Battle Royale. I really liked the character of Katniss but I found Battle Royale to be the superior product. I thought it gave a more thorough picture of humanity. In comparison, The Hunger Games are almost one dimensional. The Capital is BAD. Violence is BAD. The books are at their best when they concentrate on Katniss and forget their message.

Just my .02

maggie b.
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Mockingjay to be disappointing because I think the author stepped out of her comfort zone. Katniss fell down the Harry Potter rabbit hole - it has to be all about her all the time. I would have preferred to see a smaller, more personal story about Katniss while the larger revolution played out elsewhere.

As for Battle Royale, maggieB, I see them as separate commentaries on the same situation. As one blogger pointed out, pretty much everybody in Battle Royale is a psychopath, so if you want character analysis, Hunger Games is the better story. I also think Hunger Games is far from one dimensional, and certainly the message about violence can't be simplified to "it's bad." It is, after all, what keeps the protagonists alive. Although part of what frustrated me about the ending of Mockingjay was that killing Prim, in my opinion, broke up her commentary/symbolic message of violence and suffering by some as necessary to preserve peace for the weak and vulnerable.

Hunger Games comments on desensitization to violence and the ultimate extent of voyeurism, on individual sacrifice and the concept of something "worth dying for," on the role of mass media in politics, on the role of manipulation in mass media, especially the "characters" played by reality TV stars... I think it's interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: