AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve watched "A thing" recently. To tell the truth, I`d better not see any shot from this film except gorgeous views of mountains. It was so scary >_< I watched it with my friend,cuz he said it gonna be good lifetime while watching... but I was shivering all the time from approximately 10-th minute and to the bed-time)
For those who prefer watching thrillers - that`s an ideal movie. True story, bro Shocked
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
This Means War
B
Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy

A fun, funny rom com. A girl meets two great guys the same night and begins dating them both. Unbeknownst to her they know each other and quickly begin a competition for her affections. Since both are spies the competition quickly goes to unprecedented lengths.

I rooted for the wrong guy but knew all along who was gonna get the girl. That didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie, which was funny and sweet.
One of the best rom coms I've seen in awhile.

Maggie, I'm jealous you got to see this! The hubby and I had plans but every time were were going to go something came up. Yesterday it was the snow. Glad to hear it was good!

Xina, did you ever see The Vow?

Linda
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see "Moneyball" on Sunday in my attempt to see as many of the major Oscar contenders as possible. I liked it and thought Brad Pitt did a great job. He and George Clooney just get more interesting looking as they get older. They've always been good-looking, but when they were young I found their faces boring and they often seemed to coast through movie roles. Now they've got character, and they've definitely shown that they can act. Billy Beane presented Pitt with a great character for him to dig into, and he did the role justice. I also thought the actors who played the scouts and the athletes were very believable, and the girl who played his daughter caught that time between childhood and adulthood well.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent film I watched all the way through was Contagion. I rather liked it. I enjoy disaster films.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Carter of Mars
C

Confederate vet John Carter hunts for a legendary cave of gold. When he finds it he gets more than he bargained for as he is transported to Mars, where he meets an alien princess and battles evil while clad in a loin cloth.

This could have been a good movie had it been updated more from what Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote. It wasn't and the result is a movie that feels oddly out of sync.

maggie b.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Most Recent Movie Reply with quote

I saw "Coriolanus" and liked it a lot. The play isn't performed that often, and I think it's because it's one of those where the main character is not particularly appealing. Caius Martius (played by Ralph Fiennes) is a Roman general fighting a guerilla war against the Volscians, led by Aufidius (played by Gerard Butler). The acting by all, including Vanessa Redgrave as Coriolanus' mother and Brian Cox as a Roman senator and old family friend, was excellent.

What I thought was so amazing about the film is that Fiennes, who also directed, places the action today. A lot of the battle scenes were filmed in Serbia, and you know the bullet holes in the buildings are real. The soldiers look just like the ones we see in the news, which is emphasized by the fact that a lot of the exposition takes place on TV screens as we listen to newsmen and commentators discuss the war and provide political analysis. The dialogue is pared down to the point where it is direct and easy to understand. A small example is when Roman soldiers climb into an abandoned bus and notice wires, indicating that the vehicle has been turned into a bomb. The lead soldier yells "Away"; today a soldier would be more likely to say "Get the **** out!", but Fiennes has tied together the Shakespearian dialogue and very up-to-the minute experience. It was fast-paced and edge of your seat.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone go to see Hunger Games?

I tried watching Straw Dogs for the sake of Alexander Skarsgard but damn, it was just brutal and I had to shut it off. It was at the rape scene when I couldn't take anymore.

We did watch all watch Super 8 as a family while my daughter was home for Spring break and enjoyed it very much! Those kids were terrific actors, well done. B+

Linda
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

We did watch all watch Super 8 as a family while my daughter was home for Spring break and enjoyed it very much! Those kids were terrific actors, well done. B+

I really enjoyed Super 8 and remember grinning throughout much of it. I loved the kid actors and their dynamic. I thought they did a good job -- the way they busted on each other seemed so genuine and natural and it was hilarious to see how the insults just rolled of each other.

Have to say that in general I have become a non-fan of Elle Fanning. There's something about her I find very off-putting. I thought the same while watching "We Bought a Zoo."

A friend and I went to see The Artist last weekend. We both really enjoyed it. The story translated so well despite the lack of dialogue, and there were a couple places where I got teary. B+

Going to see The Hunger Games on Sunday.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy the movie today Nifty! My daughter is going to see it today as well, with her boyfriend. I am hoping for a report back from you both!

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something Borrowed

Since I saw this one on HBO, it's a bit dated. I read the book by Emily Giffin when it first came out and really enjoyed it. It didn't translate to the screen as well, in my opinion. Having seen the movie, and if I had not read the book, I would not be tempted to pick it up. But Giffin wrote it so well, I was sorry to see this adaptation. I did not like Kate Hudson as Darcy, but felt the actress who played Rachel did well enough. John Krasinski as Ethan was the best of them all. Loved him in it.
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Hunger Games on Tuesday. Random thoughts:

- I find it interesting that they haven't shot, or haven't concretely planned to shoot, Catching Fire and Mockingjay yet. ETA: Wrong. They do.
- They played up the reality TV aspects, successfully so.
- First-person book to third-person movie left character development to be desired.
- Production value (set, costume, soundtrack, etc.) is A+. Visually it's very close to how I pictured it.
- Casting is spot on and absolutely fantastic, especially Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Except Peeta. That is so not how I pictured Peeta.
- I had qualms about seeing the movie. Yes, the books are more graphic, and yes, the PG-13 movie is done skillfully without diminishing the horror of the slaughter. But I still found it very, very difficult to watch. This is not a movie that's ever going in my collection.
- I cannot believe some of the racist comments going around the internet.

What did you guys think?
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Something Borrowed

John Krasinski as Ethan was the best of them all. Loved him in it.

I've loved him in just about everything I've seen him in. He's totally adorable without being saccharine, maybe because he's so clearly intelligent.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
I've loved him (John Krasinski) in just about everything I've seen him in. He's totally adorable without being saccharine, maybe because he's so clearly intelligent.

I'm wondering what that says about me and TV and movies, since I've heard the name, but never really saw him on the screen. He was wonderful in this movie. I really think he stole the scenes he was in. If that's his usual kind of acting, I'm in. Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean Wan AAR wrote:
Saw Hunger Games on Tuesday. Random thoughts:

- I find it interesting that they haven't shot, or haven't concretely planned to shoot, Catching Fire and Mockingjay yet. ETA: Wrong. They do.
- They played up the reality TV aspects, successfully so.
- First-person book to third-person movie left character development to be desired.
- Production value (set, costume, soundtrack, etc.) is A+. Visually it's very close to how I pictured it.
- Casting is spot on and absolutely fantastic, especially Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Except Peeta. That is so not how I pictured Peeta.
- I had qualms about seeing the movie. Yes, the books are more graphic, and yes, the PG-13 movie is done skillfully without diminishing the horror of the slaughter. But I still found it very, very difficult to watch. This is not a movie that's ever going in my collection.
- I cannot believe some of the racist comments going around the internet.

What did you guys think?

I saw the movie today, and loved it. I read the book in a day...yesterday LOL, so it was fresh in my mind. Agree with you about Peeta. We all agreed that Peeta was not as we pictured him in the book. Not so far off, but much more dependent on Katniss...which he was in the book, but took charge more than in the movie. Loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. Spot on. Also didn't pick up on Haymitch making deals for her during her time in the Games. The book didn't show that he was on her side the entire time. Loved the 3 fingers to her lips to Rue's district after her death. Tearjerker moment for me. All in all, I loved the movie and am glad of pg13 rating with the jerky filming of the killings. It made it easier to watch. And what about those dogs in the end...which were wolves in the book. Yikes.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romantics Anonymous (Emotifs Anonyme)

In French with English subtitles, 78 minutes

Funny, funny light bit of fluff. Two neurotically shy people cross paths (she becomes an employee at his chocolate shop) and romance ensues. (Or does it?)

Thoroughly enjoyable, thanks to the acting and the chemistry of the two leads.

Don't let the subtitles put you off--this movie is totally accessible to Americans, and very easy to follow. I rated it 7/10 on IMDB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: