AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read January/February/March
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished My Man Pendleton by Elizabeth Bevarly. Loved it! A fun and satisfying read. My only issue were the typos sprinkled through out the text.
A-
The price is right- free at amazon for Kindle.
mirole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James - A

It's part of a trilogy with a running storyline and same h/H. I could not put it down and am willing myself to wait till next weekend to buy the next book - Fifty Shades Darker. Otherwise, I won't be able to do anything else but read (and I am a slow reader).

It's labelled as an erotic romance but I am not sure about that, it reads like a straight romance where sex scenes are very integral part of the story. Very, very angsty but email exchanges between h and H are hilarious.
A very interesting take on BDSM when one is in the lifestyle and the other is not and does not want to be.
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Balogh discussion has been split from this thread into a new thread on the Potpourri forum. If you commented on Balogh in this thread over the past day or two, you'll find your post there.

http://likesbooks.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=120950#120950

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down the Darkest Road - Tami Hoag

I loved this book; I didn't want it to end. I loved the story, characters and the excellent way it was written. Welcome back, Tami Hoag. Your last three books have been great and you managed the balance of suspense and relationships in the proper proportions. I can't wait for the next one and hope it involves Tony Mendez and Danni Tanner.

Maggie, you nailed the review, except that I would have given it an A. The characters totally grabbed me and I, too, enjoyed Danni's personality. Hoag never really lost her ability to write well. Her stories, some years ago, became sterile and cold to me. IMO, she found the harmony of the elements again and she's back on my list.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn Kerstan's trilogy--Golden Leopard, Heart of the Tiger, Silver Lion. They're an unusual and intriguing mix of Gothic, mystery, romance and a pinch of paranormal, written in a style that at times is almost lyrical. Good reading.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Del Franco, Deeds Undone (the finale of the Connor Grey series, set in an urban fantasy Boston).

No romance genre HEA for Connor and Meryl Bain, but an ending in which tragic events triumph over tragedy.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Lynn Kerstan's trilogy--Golden Leopard, Heart of the Tiger, Silver Lion. They're an unusual and intriguing mix of Gothic, mystery, romance and a pinch of paranormal, written in a style that at times is almost lyrical. Good reading.

I read these a couple of years ago and enjoyed them, too.

Kay
bethaboo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas - A

I hadn't read this last entry in the Travis series because I just hadn't gotten around to it (mainly because I thought the synopsis sounded uninteresting). Read a great review on Dear Author and downloaded it for my kindle.

I forgot how much I loved this series. Sugar Daddy was (imho) an amazing book, and Blue Eyed Devil was even better. I adored Ella and Jack, and I literally cried several times in this book. Highly, highly recommend.

I am still not onboard with Kleypas' new contemporary series, but the excerpt of Rainshadow Road at the end of Smooth Talking Stranger did pique my interest. I should just learn by now that when its Kleypas, all bets are off and I will love it regardless.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
dick wrote:

I read these a couple of years ago and enjoyed them, too.

Kay

I also concur.
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet Me at the Cupcake Café by Jenny Colgan -

This is a new to me British author. Women made redundant (layed off)
at work and opens a Cupcake Cafe. I liked the writing but didn't do well with heroine. She is involved on and off with an asshat - I don't really like reading about heroines unable to see the writing on the wall - I think it reminds me too much of my asshat days Rolling Eyes Loved the hero and the secondary characters are very interesting.

Off to read Jayne Ann Krentz newest book. I think the book is due back at the library on Friday.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my first Grace Burrowes book, The Virtuoso.

The good news is that, as Jane Granville said in her AAR review:
Quote:
The author has a wonderful command of language, and has a talent for creating interesting and unusual turns of phrase.

Myself, I could have wept at the refreshing elegance and originality of Burrowes' writing. Such a treat! For that alone I'll have to try another of her books, though the reviews tend to be mixed.

The bad news...well, first the heroine's Big Secret--the one that drives much of the book and that she simply can't trust her Beloved to understand--ends up not making much sense. She feels that the hero will hate her if he learns the truth of what she did, when in fact, the truth is that she was just a woefully young, naive woman who was horribly betrayed by someone she thought she could trust. Maybe she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and now she has to live with the consequences, but really, how is it she couldn't tell the hero this, after he was so understanding about other things? It just struck me as ridiculous that the H/h go through this teary, semi-melodramatic leave-taking, when it was totally unnecessary.

Second, the men in this story are just a step away from being--what? Effete? Effiminate? Precious? They practically cavort with each other, bathe and shave and dress each other (where are the servants?), and talk--all the principle characters, anyway--with a verbal facility that most men I know could never begin to comprehend, let alone achieve.

Don't get me wrong: I want a Val of my own. (Val's the hero.) He's manly, sensitive, intelligent, well mannered, muscled, good looking, a good lover, no doubt has a steady income, and has a wonderful way with words. What's not to love?

It's just that it would have been nice if all these men didn't seem so...similar. It was slightly Stepford-ish.

Anyhow, I'll wrap up by saying that the story--which started out pretty interesting but began to drag as I went along--ended up being rather disappointing. I did like the Hero, however, if not so much the Heroine, and the language, as I said, was an elegant pleasure.

I'd give it a B-
mirole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not posted for a very, very long time about the books I read and then mentioned The Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.James both of which were A-reads for me.

So, since last summer I've read the following books:

A to B+

Black Ice by Anne Stuart - an amazing romantic thriller, looking forward to reading the rest of the series

Imogen by Jilly Cooper - a sweet Brit romance written in a hilarious, witty style in the 70s

Tell Me More by Janet Mullany - an erotic romance, a no-go for many romance readers due to one party cheating on the other after they became involved which I also hated but still the voice of the author was so compelling that I have to give it a B+.

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins - my best 2011 romance, the perfect combination of hilarious and poignant. I think Kristan Higgins is my favorite contemporary romance author.

Summer to Remember by Mary Balogh - everything worked for me and Balogh is my favorite HR author.

[b]The Sweet Gum Tree
by Katherine Allred - a great angsty romance unfolding over several years in the South.

Willing Victim by Cara McKenna - in fact, this is an erotic novella but I very strongly recommend it as a romance, it satisfied me in this regard completely.

After the Night by Linda Howard - I love her books and this one was unputdownable inspire of all political incorrectness.

Lady Elizabeth's Comet by Sheila Simonson - a great, great trad Regency romance!

Books that have great ratings but disappointed me

The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt and Unveiled by Courtney Milan - I was laughing my way through both of the books as well as through C. Milan's novella Unlocked as nothing like the events described in any of these books could have happened and I could not suspend my disbelief. The language of both authors is utterly modern.

Contemporary romance - Talk Me Down by Victoria Dahl and The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe - good plot ideas behind both but poor execution, IMO.
Morning Glory by LaVerle Spencer and Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne
[/b]
Sapskull

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the Marquess Was Won - Julie Anne Long - B
I liked it, but wasn't totally enthusiastic. It had a plot device I'm pretty damn tired of (and I was disappointed about a couple of characters in regards to that) but I enjoyed the H/h and it was pretty funny.

The Duke is Mine - Eloisa James - D
I love Eloisa James, honestly. But this book just infuriated me in multiple ways. I couldn't really get behind the hero and heroine and spent most of the book wishing it was a different story. Gah. It's just one of those books where I think that if this is what my favourite authors write, maybe I should quit reading.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Weber, War Maid's Choice (e-ARC from http://www.baen.com; the hardback won't be out until next summer).

A (but since Baen e-ARCs are unproofed, don't get this if typos bother you).

This is the fourth book in a fantasy series, the previous titles being:
Oath of the Sword
The War God's Own
Wind Rider's Oath

There's a happy romance in this one.
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read Rainbow's End by Victoria Lynne. This was a freebie on Amazon, but though that deal has passed it's still only $2.99. I can't figure out if this is a digital release of an older book or not, I haven't heard of Victoria Lynne before. It's a historical western (woot!) and it's actually really good. The heroine reminded me a lot of one of Maggie Osborne's heroines, a gun toting, swearing, pants wearing female; she's a former member of an outlaw gang. She's not too feisty, but she's honest and confident and I liked her very much. The hero was a good counterpart to her, maybe almost too good to be true, but I went with it and enjoyed their developing relationship. It was a road romance with a mystery plot and best of all, there was no constant lusting which has become my primary pet peeve in romance novels. My grade would be a B+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: