AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One for the Money movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kristie, is this your story? It's very sweet! *sniff*

Yep, the night I met him a large part of our conversation was about books. Reading was such a huge part of who I am and I'd gone out with non reading guys and there was a huge hole in out interests. I had been rereading Alice in Wonderland the night I met him and told him what a fascinating book it was to read as an adult and he was very interested in giving it a try. I was sold on him that night *g* For years we read the same type of books, a lot of fantasy and SciFi and we were both Tolkien geeks but our tastes had taken totally different paths by the time he got sick. I was into romance and he was into horror. We obviously focused on different aspects of the books we both read earlier.

I wasn't about to start reading horror to him and he wanted no part of romance. One of my sisters had the same taste in books as him, and they would often discuss what they were reading. She loved the Stephanie Plum books though, so that's how I came up with them.

Katie - thanks from me too for the review. In the previews, neither the guy who plays Ranger or Grandma Mazur worked that well. My sister and I both figured Cloris Leachman would have made a great Grandma
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie (kat) wrote:
I saw the movie today and really liked it! Very Happy Yes, the books are much better but I enjoyed the movie. Katherine Heigl did a decent job as Stephanie and I loved the guy who played Morelli! I have seen him in other things (Life On Mars) and wasn't a fan so I was pleasantly suprised I liked him so much as Joe. Very Happy

The only 2 complaints I have are the casting of Ranger & Grandma Mazur. The guy who played Ranger didn't, imho, understand the character and that was a big disapointment. To a lesser degree I wasn't in love with Debbie Reyonolds. She's great but I don't think she was right for this role.

Anyway, it was a fun, happy movie and I will be buying the DVD when it comes out. Smile

I liked it too...very much. Like you, I liked Morelli. I think the actor playing him, had him down pretty well. Stephanie and Morelli work up to some great chemistry in the books, and it was just starting in the first book. The movie version really showed that very well. I didn't feel that way about Ranger though, he was much nicer in the movie. In the books he is rather elusive, and I think that is what makes him interesting. In the movie he was her #1 protector, and I know he did that in the books, but not with such cheer. I read a couple reviews yesterday, and it's funny, the reviewer loved Ranger, and not Morelli. Morelli is my favorite between the 2 in the books, so I was prepared not to like him, but darn it, I think he nailed it. Smile Heigl as Stephanie..I thought she was wonderful. Grandma..well, I am a Debbie Reynolds fan, but she seemed too elegant, too well dressed for Grandma in the book. Not bad though.
We were saying, at the end of the movie how we hope they will make another, because they do leave you knowing there is a relationship brewing between Stephanie and Morelli. I wish HBO had done this...like True Blood. I would like to see another movie. Anyway...as a fan of the books, I enjoyed it very much.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Quote:
Kristie, is this your story? It's very sweet! *sniff*

Yep, the night I met him a large part of our conversation was about books. Reading was such a huge part of who I am and I'd gone out with non reading guys and there was a huge hole in out interests. I had been rereading Alice in Wonderland the night I met him and told him what a fascinating book it was to read as an adult and he was very interested in giving it a try. I was sold on him that night *g* For years we read the same type of books, a lot of fantasy and SciFi and we were both Tolkien geeks but our tastes had taken totally different paths by the time he got sick. I was into romance and he was into horror. We obviously focused on different aspects of the books we both read earlier.

I wasn't about to start reading horror to him and he wanted no part of romance. One of my sisters had the same taste in books as him, and they would often discuss what they were reading. She loved the Stephanie Plum books though, so that's how I came up with them.

Katie - thanks from me too for the review. In the previews, neither the guy who plays Ranger or Grandma Mazur worked that well. My sister and I both figured Cloris Leachman would have made a great Grandma

It's a beautiful story! *sniff!*

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Katie (kat) wrote:
I saw the movie today and really liked it! Very Happy Yes, the books are much better but I enjoyed the movie. Katherine Heigl did a decent job as Stephanie and I loved the guy who played Morelli! I have seen him in other things (Life On Mars) and wasn't a fan so I was pleasantly suprised I liked him so much as Joe. Very Happy

The only 2 complaints I have are the casting of Ranger & Grandma Mazur. The guy who played Ranger didn't, imho, understand the character and that was a big disapointment. To a lesser degree I wasn't in love with Debbie Reyonolds. She's great but I don't think she was right for this role.

Anyway, it was a fun, happy movie and I will be buying the DVD when it comes out. Smile

I liked it too...very much. Like you, I liked Morelli. I think the actor playing him, had him down pretty well. Stephanie and Morelli work up to some great chemistry in the books, and it was just starting in the first book. The movie version really showed that very well. I didn't feel that way about Ranger though, he was much nicer in the movie. In the books he is rather elusive, and I think that is what makes him interesting. In the movie he was her #1 protector, and I know he did that in the books, but not with such cheer. I read a couple reviews yesterday, and it's funny, the reviewer loved Ranger, and not Morelli. Morelli is my favorite between the 2 in the books, so I was prepared not to like him, but darn it, I think he nailed it. Smile Heigl as Stephanie..I thought she was wonderful. Grandma..well, I am a Debbie Reynolds fan, but she seemed too elegant, too well dressed for Grandma in the book. Not bad though.
We were saying, at the end of the movie how we hope they will make another, because they do leave you knowing there is a relationship brewing between Stephanie and Morelli. I wish HBO had done this...like True Blood. I would like to see another movie. Anyway...as a fan of the books, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for your review Xina! So you both like the Joe guy huh, HMMMM!

I agree that these books would benefit from a series, maybe somewhere down the line HBO would consider picking it up.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
[

Thanks for your review Xina! So you both like the Joe guy huh, HMMMM!

I agree that these books would benefit from a series, maybe somewhere down the line HBO would consider picking it up.

Linda

Yes, me too LInda. They really left it with Joe and Stephanie getting closer. When it ended, I got that feeling of when a book ends, yet I know there is another in a series to just keep going with these people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: