AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anne Gracie's "Bride by Mistake"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erika wrote:
I'm on the fence about buying this book and would like to know about the hero. Is he more alpha edgy type or nice guy beta?

Thanks!

Bear in mind that I haven't read this yet, Erika, but going by Gracie's previous books, I'd guess the latter.

Elizabeth
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of a tough question, Erika. He's kind of both alpha and beta, but I'd lean toward beta. He is not happy to be in the situation he's in with the heroine in the beginning, and he assumes the logical assumptions about her, but, of course, he's wrong. He dismisses her and assumes that she's taking advantage of her femininity and vetoes her wishes, assuming that they are superficial. When he gradually comes to care for and admire her, he still can be abrupt and dismissive. Gracie does a good job in showing the gradual growth of his love and respect. He, of course, has a deep secret which also makes him distrust her, but he has intuitions about her, which, being a romance, are always right.
Eliza

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I didn't think of the alpha/beta thing as an issue for this book. He just seemed like a decent hero to me.
csmiley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth Rolls wrote:
erika wrote:
I'm on the fence about buying this book and would like to know about the hero. Is he more alpha edgy type or nice guy beta?

Thanks!

Bear in mind that I haven't read this yet, Erika, but going by Gracie's previous books, I'd guess the latter.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth, I'm a big fan! What's next for you?

Connie from NYC
erika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabeth, Eliza & Lynda thanks much for responding to my question. Since I'm more inclined to prefer alpha jerks/uber alpha hero I think I'll pass on buying this one.
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the recent AAR review by Louise VanderVliet was spot on and extremely fair. It may help others to decide whether to read this book or not; and it may be helpful to read Louise's profile to see what her personal preferences are, even though the review stands perfectly well all on its own.

Anyway, her review perfectly articulated what I was unable to--why this wasn't a typical A-rated Gracie book for me. Turns out, it's not what's missing as I had thought but the plot device added midway through the book that derailed me. It may be a logical plot turn in some senses, I suppose, but it changed the direction and pacing of the story, which was what didn't work so well for me, as Louise adroitly pointed out.

I'm also glad Louise pointed out Gracie's strong writing despite the plot's "left turn."

Thanks so much, Louise.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csmiley wrote:
Elizabeth, I'm a big fan! What's next for you?

Connie from NYC[/quote]

Connie, I've sent you a private message on this so as not to derail discussion.

Elizabeth
JaneO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this book up to console myself after root canal.

It worked. I went to sleep happy. But then Anne Gracie's books always make me happy. That's why I chose it.
LouiseAAR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
I thought the recent AAR review by Louise VanderVliet was spot on and extremely fair. It may help others to decide whether to read this book or not; and it may be helpful to read Louise's profile to see what her personal preferences are, even though the review stands perfectly well all on its own.

Anyway, her review perfectly articulated what I was unable to--why this wasn't a typical A-rated Gracie book for me. Turns out, it's not what's missing as I had thought but the plot device added midway through the book that derailed me. It may be a logical plot turn in some senses, I suppose, but it changed the direction and pacing of the story, which was what didn't work so well for me, as Louise adroitly pointed out.

I'm also glad Louise pointed out Gracie's strong writing despite the plot's "left turn."

Thanks so much, Louise.

Thank you, Eliza!! I am so glad that, as a fan of hers, you saw the review as accurate! This was the first book by her that I have read and I was a little intimidated. I am glad that a fan saw things the same way I did - it reassures me that the review was as fair as I could make it. I think that you have convinced me to read her other books. Smile If a fan can see the same things I did in Bride By Mistake, then it means that her other books would likely appeal to me.

What do you recommend? Do I go back to the beginning of this series first and get the back stories or should I just jump into the Perfect series and get to the Devil Riders after?
babyfishmouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation of The Perfect Rake.
I just finished it and would rate it between B+ and A-.

I really thought I had read Anne Gracie before but I was wrong (at least based on my Kindle buys and Goodreads list). I love discovering new-to-me authors and I'm looking forward to reading more by her.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouiseAAR wrote:
Thank you, Eliza!! I am so glad that, as a fan of hers, you saw the review as accurate! This was the first book by her that I have read and I was a little intimidated. I am glad that a fan saw things the same way I did - it reassures me that the review was as fair as I could make it. I think that you have convinced me to read her other books. Smile If a fan can see the same things I did in Bride By Mistake, then it means that her other books would likely appeal to me.

What do you recommend? Do I go back to the beginning of this series first and get the back stories or should I just jump into the Perfect series and get to the Devil Riders after?

What a lovely note. Thank you too!

I guess my advice about which series to choose would be to see if one storyline appeals more than the other. If that's a problem, I suggest you head for the Perfect series. I hope you really end up loving Anne Gracie period. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: