AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Library is dropping Overdrive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: My Library is dropping Overdrive Reply with quote

Our state library system is dropping Overdrive due to a price increase of 700% over the next 3 years. They will be using a system called EZ Library (One Click Digital), hopefully soon, for digital downloads of e books. They don't have a contract yet with Amazon for Kindle downloads. I was so excited to finally be reading library books on my Kindle and now its gone. Is anyone else noticing changes at their library?
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My library just started with Overdrive this summer.

I felt sorry for the librarians as none of them really knew the difference between Kindle, ePub, etc. They were scheduled for a half-day seminar in August and that's all the training they received. So their advice consisted of, "click on the home page and follow the steps" Razz

They've got a pretty good mix of romance, YA, non-fiction, mystery, etc. They add a few hundred books every month so the digital title selection is steadily growing.
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that. My library used to have NetLibrary in addition to Overdrive, but it sucked eggs, so I was glad when they stopped wasting money on it.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's tragic! I don't know what I'd do without Overdrive. My mother's library has NetLibrary and it was so awful that this summer I took her to my library (an hour away from her home but within the same state) so she could get a card to enable her to use Overdrive on her Nook. Is there another library you can get a card to? My country library in Ohio allows anyone who is a legal resident of the state to get a card. Or there are libraries you can pay a fee to for a card. Good luck.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think publishers are starting to flex their muscles about loaning ebooks. I own a Kindle and Overdrive has just recently started offering books to us. I am not overly impressed with the Kindle selection as of yet but I am hoping it improves.

BUT, I just read that Penguin pulled all of its books from any loaning program due to a dispute w/Amazon about its new policy of loaning 1 book a month to Prime members. Shades of the pricing war about control of what a retailer does with the books it purchases. I keep reading that publishers are not interested in readers but in selling books to retailers. This is another example of that attitude IMHO. Sheesh!
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments and ideas. It looks like the EZ ebook service will be up mid January for the Ipad so I will try that and hope that the Kindle comes back up soon after. If not, as Charlotte suggested, I might use my other possible library connections. Enjoy those free reads!
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could become a reviewer for one of the review sites to get more free books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: