AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLVED - historical, rushed marriage, provocative dress,
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: SOLVED - historical, rushed marriage, provocative dress, Reply with quote

Shannon Muniz from Amazon's forum says:

I am looking for another book I read back in the mid 90's. I remember very little. I believe it begins in Russia...The heroine marries the hero in a rushed ceremony he was not happy with. He ignores her fully. She starts attending balls in what at the time were provocative dresses. I remember that the front of one dress went up to her neck but when she turned around her back was bare. Another had an opening in the fron that stetched down to her belly button. The hero is struck by her beauty and becomes jealous seeing how glamorous she has become. He stops seeing his mistress or ex-fiance and falls madly inlove with the heroine. I know its not alot to go on. The only details I am sure on are the beautiful, one of a kind dress she wears. Help!

I would like to read this too. I hope you can help find this.

Thank you very much in advance.

SOLVED: The book is The Copeland Bride by Justine Cole,

Jenny

Last edited by Jenny on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
maryskl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be "You Belong to Me" by Johanna Lindsey?
xina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Johnson has a Russian series. Although, I read them all years ago, I can't remember exact details. Lisa Kleypas has a couple books with Russian hero or heroine. Good Luck
Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I forwarded your suggestions to the OP. I'll let you know hat she says as soon as I know.
Jenny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not any of Johanna Lindsey books. The OP will look into Susan Johnson.
Jenny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info about the book:

"I'm less than positive that part of the book is set in Russia but then moves to London. I remember the hero's aunt or maybe mother helping the heroine when she goes to attend the balls....it seems she encouraged her to dress provacatively to catch her husband's eye....I remember when he reached london, he sees her at a ball wearing a black? dress that covers up to her neck in the front and in the back has a large, very low V shaped cutout. I can't seem to remember why they got married quickly, but know that the hero was not pleased by the arrangement. I wish I remembered more! "

Original post: http://www.amazon.com/forum/historical%20romance/ref=cm_cd_et_jump?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxAM906CKYVNOT&cdPage=2&cdThread=TxBSMHVNDVFYQX#CustomerDiscussionsLPIT

The original poster's name is Shannon Muniz, on the second page of that thread.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Jenny
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
More info about the book:

"I'm less than positive that part of the book is set in Russia but then moves to London. I remember the hero's aunt or maybe mother helping the heroine when she goes to attend the balls....it seems she encouraged her to dress provacatively to catch her husband's eye....I remember when he reached london, he sees her at a ball wearing a black? dress that covers up to her neck in the front and in the back has a large, very low V shaped cutout. I can't seem to remember why they got married quickly, but know that the hero was not pleased by the arrangement. I wish I remembered more! "

Original post: http://www.amazon.com/forum/historical%20romance/ref=cm_cd_et_jump?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxAM906CKYVNOT&cdPage=2&cdThread=TxBSMHVNDVFYQX#CustomerDiscussionsLPIT

The original poster's name is Shannon Muniz, on the second page of that thread.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you.

Jenny

I have read this book, but cannot for the life of me remember. I may have to start going through my books.
Jenny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you remember it. I really want to read it. Thanks for trying to help.
Jenny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary, have you checked your books?
maryskl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Mary, have you checked your books?

NO! I am sorry. I forgot. It sounds very much like a Susan Johnson though.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts of the description resemble two of the Delaney books by Iris Johansen: Wild Silver (May 1988) and Satin Ice (Nov 1988). The second is set mostly in Russia and has an evil mother-in-law. I also remember the inappropriate dress. However, I don't remember the hero being indifferent to the heroine.

Kay
angela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very similar to The Accidental Bride by Jane Feather. The husband is indifferent to the heroine and she starts wearing some sexy dresses to get his attention. Not sure if this is it though. It takes place in England and was published in 1999.
Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I forwarded your suggestions. I hope we find this, I really want to read it!

Jane Feather's book might be it since the OP said that she might be remembering wrong about the Russia bit. We'll see.

Here is the link to the post on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/forum/romance/ref=cm_cd_et_up_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxM42D5QN2YZ1D&cdPage=1&newContentNum=24&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx32P36CKK0RJ6&newContentID=Mx38WZISQLS4SB9#MxBB2INV0UF8Q6
CG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, I know I've read this and I'm almost sure it's a Susan Johnson also. Too bad her website sucks and the descriptions on Amazon don't sound quite right either.

I think the hero was a Russian prince and he may be married to a coldly beautiful eeevil woman. Maybe he hires the heroine to be a governess to his child because the wife is useless. At some point they journey to Russia. The wife dies and he compromises the governess and has to marry her.

Or I could be confusing several different books. Will do more research and post if I come up with anything else.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it sounds like a Susan Johnson. I think there are 3 or 4 books in her Russian series. The one I am thinking (can't remember title, but will look it up today), the hero has slept with his mistress toward the end of the book, and the heroine is largely pregnant. What a guy! Sort of typical of heroes from early Johnson..here and there. They weren't all like that.

edited to add...Just looked it up and the book I was thinking of was, Sinful. That book is not a part of the Kuzan series (the Russian series). So, it's probably not the book I mentioned above. Sinful is #1 in the St. John series. There are 4 books in the Russian series. Three of the books are mentioned on Goodreads. I've read them all, but so long ago. Can't remember many details. good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: