AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Is anyone else having trouble with Nook and BN.com?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wendy AAR



Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Is anyone else having trouble with Nook and BN.com? Reply with quote

The last few days have been awful for downloading books to Nook from BN.com. I used to buy the books, walk over to my Nook, and they'd be there already or would load very shortly later. But the last few days, since just before Halloween, I guess, I've had to work and work to get books to load. No settings have been changed on my computer or my Nook, and Nook customer service is no help. Is anyone else experiencing probs? Sideload books are no problem at all, BTW, just the ones from BN.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willaful



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember there being big issues after last Christmas, when everyone was using their new ereaders -- perhaps the recent price drop has had an effect?

I've been having problems accessing B&N for a while, but that seems to be browser-related. Can't do it in Firefox, have to use Safari.
_________________
"'Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,' Wren said. 'It's the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.'" -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wendy AAR



Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're overloaded? Makes sense. I'll try to be patient, although I really want to read the new O'Connell. Bn cust svc wanted me to change all my settings on our wireless router, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendydfw wrote:
They're overloaded? Makes sense. I'll try to be patient, although I really want to read the new O'Connell. Bn cust svc wanted me to change all my settings on our wireless router, etc.


No, I wouldn't do that just yet, their CS sometimes hasn't a clue what they're talking about, sorry to say. Sometimes they get backed up and it can take a few days. Did you get confirmation via email?

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minerva



Joined: 05 Jul 2007
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had problems with my nook.

But I am having horrendous problems with BN.com. It takes forever to load, pages time out, searches are slow.

And what happened to the Free Nook Book pages?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PWNN



Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 912

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems downloading. And I just downloaded the new PC ap which works fine (unlike the new Amazon one which keeps crashing even after re-installing - I may have to find and re-install an older version)

I'd suggest re-downloading the Nook software for your PC. If both that and your Nook aren't working it might be your internet connection if they're both on the same wireless. You could also try using another w-fi hot spot to see if it's your connection or your Nook.

The Free Nook Book page is here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078
_________________
"My safe word is monkey"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wendy AAR



Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

No, I wouldn't do that just yet, their CS sometimes hasn't a clue what they're talking about, sorry to say. Sometimes they get backed up and it can take a few days. Did you get confirmation via email?

Linda


I know, right? Our entire household runs off the same Wifi router - laptops, handheld gaming devices, pc, wii - and the only one not working is the nook.

I did get email confirmation which is why I'm so surprised that it is "checking for new BN content" for almost a day now.

I never heard about it taking a few days. But I also haven't had the Nook during the holiday season yet.

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wendy AAR



Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
I'd suggest re-downloading the Nook software for your PC. If both that and your Nook aren't working it might be your internet connection if they're both on the same wireless. You could also try using another w-fi hot spot to see if it's your connection or your Nook.

The Free Nook Book page is here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078


Great suggestions, thank you. And thanks for the link, too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willaful



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible overload reason -- software update for the Nook Touch.

But honestly, they should be prepared for these things! Evil or Very Mad
_________________
"'Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,' Wren said. 'It's the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.'" -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wendy AAR



Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wendydfw wrote:
PWNN wrote:
I'd suggest re-downloading the Nook software for your PC. If both that and your Nook aren't working it might be your internet connection if they're both on the same wireless. You could also try using another w-fi hot spot to see if it's your connection or your Nook.

The Free Nook Book page is here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-eBooks/379003078


Great suggestions, thank you. And thanks for the link, too!


To anyone who might encounter this problem in the future - I followed PWNNs advice and took my Nook to McDs. Sure enough, the books I'd been waiting for downloaded in about 30 seconds once the Nook had reacquired Wifi. When I brought the Nook home again, I downloaded a free book, and it also loaded to the Nook correctly. Apparently, when the Nook is stuck on "checking for new BN content - in progress" like mine was, a soft boot or even a hard boot aren't enough to restart the download process. You can't even make it "forget" the wifi connection and start over that way. You have to physically take it away from your router. Apparently the people I talked to at BN.com aren't aware of this easy fix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fenwick



Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I remember there being big issues after last Christmas, when everyone was using their new ereaders -- perhaps the recent price drop has had an effect?

I've been having problems accessing B&N for a while, but that seems to be browser-related. Can't do it in Firefox, have to use Safari.


I find I have to use Safari not Firefox too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robiform



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 248
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems downloading books to my NOOK or the NOOK application on my computer. However, I've never tried to download using Firefox as the browser--I've only used Internet Explorer. It is interesting to find out that folks are having problems downloading when using Firefox; that's the browser I use 90 percent of the time!

Question for fellow e-reader users: I am considering getting an iPad in the not-too-distant future. Do any of you who have an iPad use NOOK software on it, and if so, how easy is it to download and/or use the application? Thanks!
_________________
"Have fun storming the castle"--Miracle Max in "The Princess Bride"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elizabeth Rolls



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 1079
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had horrendous problems recently getting on to Amazon. It takes forever to load. I'm using Firefox, but that's nothing new. I've used it for years. Maybe they're just inundated with customers buying up for Christmas. Luckily I've resisted the temptation to start the two latest Joanna Bourne books. I'm deliberately saving them for my Christmas holiday. Very Happy

Elizabeth

www.elizabethrolls.com
http://harlequinhistoricalauthors.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fenwick



Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the apps for Nook and Kindle on my Apple computer.

I find the Nook app only works with the Safari browser but the Kindle app works well with Firefox and Safari.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robiform



Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 248
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenwick wrote:
I have the apps for Nook and Kindle on my Apple computer.

I find the Nook app only works with the Safari browser but the Kindle app works well with Firefox and Safari.


Thanks for the information--in addition to IE and Firefox, I have the Safari browser (thanks to ownership of an iPod!) on my Dell desktop. I assume that an iPad will come with the Safari browser already loaded.

Now I have to decide how many bells and whistles I want on the iPad! Smile
_________________
"Have fun storming the castle"--Miracle Max in "The Princess Bride"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group