AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marian's Christmas Wish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Marian's Christmas Wish Reply with quote

I'm pleased to see that Marian's Christmas Wish is now available on Kindle. I think the next thing of mine out on ebook will be a Christmas Collection of four of my previously published Signet short stories: "Make a Joyful Noise," "The Christmas Ornament," "The Three Kings," and "An Object of Charity."

This is certainly an interesting time for readers and writers. It's given me a lot of pleasure recently to turn on the Kindle and find Georgette Heyer there, not to mention Jane Austin and other total goodies. Will I always have lots of books? Certainly. But there is room for ebooks now, and I like that, too.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla Kelly said
Quote:
I'm pleased to see that Marian's Christmas Wish is now available on Kindle.

Thanks for posting this- I had looked before and it was not available. I own a paperback copy I tracked down second hand a few years ago but I still want an ebook version as well.

Carla Kelly said
Quote:
Will I always have lots of books? Certainly. But there is room for ebooks now, and I like that, too.

I feel the same way. Every room of my house is covered with bookshelves. I will never be without books but I absolutely love being able to take hundreds of my books with me wherever I go on one slim device. Not to mention accessing those same books on my phone for free. I used to have a paperback stuffed in my purse at all times now I have a lighter and roomier bag compliments of technology.

I appreciate the $2.99 price tag on the Kindle book as well! So Thank you.
merryweather

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this book and loved it--thank you so much, Carla! Marian and Gilbert were just adorable (even if she was a bit young--I know that's how things went back then, but my daughter is 17 and I just can't picture handing her over to a 28 year old Wink Times have changed!)

Looking forward to the short stories.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Marian's Christmas Wish Reply with quote

Yes, Marian was young, but the way all that unfolded was precisely as it might have been. When I used to teach history on the university level, I always begain my first lecture, whatever the period, by writing Zeitgeist on the board and asking my students to define it. I explained that it roughly translated as "the mind of the times." I encouraged them to look through 19th century eyes, rather than their own - at the time - twentieth century eyes.

The only thing that would ever have bothered Gilbert's contemporaries was that Marian did not have a fortune to match his own.

Would I want that era back? Well, no. And that would lead to my next comment to my students: "There is no such thing as good history, or bad history; there is only history."

I think that way when I write of earlier eras; I honestly do. I hope it shows. I think this is one reason I'm having some fun writing stories set in the early twentieth centory. In many ways, Americans were becoming more the way we think of ourselves now - still not totally like us, but closer.
merryweather

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Marian's Christmas Wish Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
Yes, Marian was young, but the way all that unfolded was precisely as it might have been. When I used to teach history on the university level, I always begain my first lecture, whatever the period, by writing Zeitgeist on the board and asking my students to define it. I explained that it roughly translated as "the mind of the times." I encouraged them to look through 19th century eyes, rather than their own - at the time - twentieth century eyes.

I do get that--as I have learned more about that time period, I'm able not to grimace so much when I read about situations that would never happen in our time--this was normal for them. And I appreciate how you keep it authentic--it's one of the reasons I like reading books set during this time period--the culture is so different, yet men and women still fall in love and have to overcome obstacles to be together.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Marian Reply with quote

Got some more good news last week. I hope this isn't hush hush, but Signet is going to be ebooking a lot of those old beloved regency trads, starting in January. If there is enough interest among readers, there will also be more Regency and other good fiction from a line that sort vanished a few years back. I'm tickled. Eventually, all my books, including the uber hard to find Daughter of Fortune, will be in ebook. Signet was always a good home for good books.
willaful

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this and Marian's age really didn't bother me; she was so convincingly intelligent and, I thought, quite emotionally mature. I've seen a lot of other reviewers say she seemed even younger than her age, which really baffles me. I guess they mean because she's impulsive and participates in some pranks at the beginning.
merryweather

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willaful wrote:
I just finished this and Marian's age really didn't bother me; she was so convincingly intelligent and, I thought, quite emotionally mature. I've seen a lot of other reviewers say she seemed even younger than her age, which really baffles me. I guess they mean because she's impulsive and participates in some pranks at the beginning.

I agree--I didn't feel that emotionally or intellectually she was too young for Gilbert--she was a good match for him, and even with the prank gone awry of them going to Bath, she handled it well and took care of him when he was incapacitated. And she wasn't awed by him or afraid to stand up to him at any time. It was just thinking about my own daughter that made me raise my eyebrows a little bit. But in their time period they suited very well.

And as far as pranks...he could dish them even better than she could in some circumstances.

Carla, that is such great news for your books--I know so many readers who will be as thrilled as I am to hear that your older titles will be coming out. My Kindle has been a treasure-trove lately!
Nana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Marian Reply with quote

Carla Kelly wrote:
Got some more good news last week. I hope this isn't hush hush, but Signet is going to be ebooking a lot of those old beloved regency trads, starting in January. If there is enough interest among readers, there will also be more Regency and other good fiction from a line that sort vanished a few years back. I'm tickled. Eventually, all my books, including the uber hard to find Daughter of Fortune, will be in ebook. Signet was always a good home for good books.

Yay! I lost my copy of The Lady's Companion in a move a few years back and have been dying to replace it ever since. I still love paper copies best but having the text again will be much better than nothing.
willaful

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Marian Reply with quote

Nana wrote:

Yay! I lost my copy of The Lady's Companion in a move a few years back and have been dying to replace it ever since. I still love paper copies best but having the text again will be much better than nothing.

The availibility of ebooks will likely free up some paper copies, too -- I noticed that with my PBS wishlist when Marsha Canham's backlist came out.

The old Regencies are very pretty, but I'll probably go for ebooks for space reasons -- and also, the author gets the benefit of the purchase.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Marian's Christmas Wish Reply with quote

I think Signet's smart to re-launch those old trad Regencies. Signet was the leader in the bidness, I think, and suspect they will be again. Hope so, anyway. In addition to the three titles mentioned, I'll probably release The Wedding Journey to Signet, too. That will be four ebooks for Signet. Cedar Fort has 4 or 5 other ones, and let's not forget that Japanese manga of "Mrs. Drew" and "Lord Ragsdale" that'll be coming out sometime in 2012. I think my savvy daughters are more interested in manga than anything else. Crazy woild we live in.

ck
Jane A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be released as an epub?
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Marian's Christmas Wish Reply with quote

Jane A, sorry to be slow getting back to you.

Apparently the two books will first appear as "paperback comic novel," as it says in the contract. Then it states this: "...exclusive license to sell e-books of the Comicbook in the Japanse language, whch will be distributed through the Internet and/or cell phones (including online viewing), to be commenced within one year of the initial Comicbook publication date."

So, sometime within the next year and a half, the ebook in Japanese of the paperback manga will appear. The way there is such a push on to turn everything into ebook, I suspect it might be sooner.

I'm tickled by the idea of getting 6 copies. My daughters are already salivating...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: