AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic in a Jelly Jar by Sally Tyler Hayes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
library addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Magic in a Jelly Jar by Sally Tyler Hayes Reply with quote

LinnieGayl's 10/6/11 review http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=8662

This book was on my AAR Top 100 Ballot as well. I have reread it in the past, but not in the past deacade or so. My print copy is in a box as I don't have enough shelf space for all of the books I wanted to keep.

Sally Tyler Hayes was one of my auto-buy authors for a long time. I thought she had stopped writing as the last book of hers is from 2001. But it turns out she now writes under her actual name, Teresa Hill.

Harlequin Heartwarming published a revised version of the book in July 2011 as Luke's Wish in both print and digitally. From the author's blog
Quote:
Dear Readers,

In case you didnít know, in another life, I wrote for Silhouette under a different name, Sally Tyler Hayes, and this book was originally published under that name, under the title Magic in a Jelly Jar.

It was a sweet, family story that has been re-edited to be even sweeter, which now means no love scenes and a few other changes for readers who want a kinder, gentler story. Itís available now will be available now from Harlequin Heartwarming.
http://02fd590.netsolhost.com/WordPress/2011/06/29/hello-world/

Personally, I do not like it when authors go back and rewrite/heavily revise prior books. I feel like they are somehow saying as a reader I am a fool by being a fan of the original work as the new is always better (but maybe that's just me). So, I wrote to Harlequin and was told they may reissue the original version of Magic in a Jelly Jar as one of the Harlequin Treasury titles, but it is not currently on the schedule. Personally, I will stick with my print copy of the original.

I do have a few of her Teresa Hill titles on my To Buy list as some of blurbs sound good. I am glad she hasn't stopped writing as I thought for so many years.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that there is no love scenes. . . Not that I always have to have them but makes me wonder if she revised it for a different market. . . .
like the Inspirational/Christian.
chris booklover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic in a Jelly Jar by Sally Tyler Hayes Reply with quote

library addict wrote:

Personally, I do not like it when authors go back and rewrite/heavily revise prior books. I feel like they are somehow saying as a reader I am a fool by being a fan of the original work as the new is always better (but maybe that's just me).

It's not just you. This is one of my pet peeves as well. With rare exceptions (such as when Mary Jo Putney and Catherine Coulter revised and expanded early Regencies) I almost always prefer the original to the revised version.
Karen Templeton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh, Harlequin Heartwarming is a new line, currently comprised of older books (some revised, as in this case), to meet what Harlequin has determined is a segment of the readership who wants sweet but not faith-centered (my mom was one of those, not *at all* interested in inspirational but also not a fan of any explicit sex. Yes, including scenes in my books, LOL).

So MIAJJ was revised specifically for that line, not for the inspirational market. Smile

Karen T
http://www.karentempleton.com
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Silhouette Special Edition version of Magic in a Jelly Jar is available in ePub format from Harlequin.com and other vendors.
janet w

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Truly dislike publishers re-issuing books under new name Reply with quote

I can't say the number of times I've fallen for that.

"Updating" revising editing out the steam increasing the steam -- I'm singularly unimpressed. The only time I sometimes like a change to an orginal work is when an author re-releases a book that has reverted to her and she includes stuff that was edited out. But even then, sometimes it's best to just leave things be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: