AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life as we know it
B-

Until she hooked up with the pediatrician I was OK with the movie. But the love triangle bummed me out.

maggie b.
xina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:

Xina , let me know what you think. I went with my mother to see it ages ago and both of us surprisingly liked it. I mean seriously funny. cheri

We watched this last week (Bridesmaids) and I really enjoyed it. Hilarious, a little crude, but funny. We were talking after the movie about how so many female comedians never get parts like this. It was a brave move on all fronts. I hope for a sequel!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind subtitles, check out Bride Flight. It's about three young women who flee the Netherlands for New Zealand in the mid-50s. Really well done.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
If you don't mind subtitles, check out Bride Flight. It's about three young women who flee the Netherlands for New Zealand in the mid-50s. Really well done.

I saw this a few months ago and liked it a lot. I thought the three stories were well handled and well acted, and it was lovely to see NZ. Even though we never see it directly, I like that we see how WWII affected their lives in ways both large and small. They each look at their move halfway around the world as a chance to begin again. When the movie began I thought that Waldemar Torenstra, the actor who plays Frank, was ordinary looking, but as the story develops and you get to know him, his character is so appealing that by the end I thought he was very attractive -- just like in romance novels where the hero gets to know the seemingly Ugly Duckling heroine and decides she's actually a swan (not to mention he looks great without a shirt).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1094241/
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
When the movie began I thought that Waldemar Torenstra, the actor who plays Frank, was ordinary looking, but as the story develops and you get to know him, his character is so appealing that by the end I thought he was very attractive -- just like in romance novels where the hero gets to know the seemingly Ugly Duckling heroine and decides she's actually a swan (not to mention he looks great without a shirt).

LOL! He was nice looking. I thought all the actors did a great job -- the young and the old characters. Very seamless transition.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:

Thanks Lee! I will check this one out. Smile
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Town with Ben Afleck

I'm not much of a movie watcher these days. The TV that's in my room only has basic cable, while the other two have all the channels, but my husband watches either of those. Usually, we disagree on what to watch simultaneously, so separate TVs seemed to be the answer (you know, like different toothpastes, instead of arguing about only one).

But while my daughter and I were on hiatus on Mackinac Island last week, we caught The Town with Ben Afleck on one of the stations. She saw it before and I was hooked almost from the beginning. Good movie.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
LeeB. wrote:

Let us know if you watch it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
xina wrote:
LeeB. wrote:

Let us know if you watch it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I will!
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Moneyball with my husband over the weekend. I'm not a sports fan, or baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoyed this movie. The acting was so good, and the story so interesting--I think anyone would enjoy it. I learned a lot about the inner working of baseball--and wasn't bored at all! Wink Surprising. The guy that wrote the book on which the movie was based also wrote The Blind Side which I listened to on audio CD last year and it was also sports-based yet fascinating.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Meg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

We watched this last week (Bridesmaids) and I really enjoyed it. Hilarious, a little crude, but funny. We were talking after the movie about how so many female comedians never get parts like this. It was a brave move on all fronts. I hope for a sequel!

I didn't enjoy it as much....it could have used a serious editing job. Some of the comedic scenes went on too long (the food poisoning/bathroom scene, the engagement toast, and when she wanted the cop to help her in the end).

Enjoyed X-Men first class and surprisingly, Zookeeper had a sweet underlying theme with a funny scene with Bernie, the gorilla.

Meg
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're taking our 15 year old son to 'double date' at the movies this weekend, the kids can't drive themselves and the closest movie theater is about an hour away. So the hub and I thought while they were going to see their movie (Paranormal Activity 3) we would see one as well. He wants Puss and Boots and I want Time, we'll see where we end up, lol.

Linda
bookmark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Thor two weeks ago. It wasn't too bad but I would have preferred that Natalie Portman's character and Kat Dennings were switched. I liked Darcy better than Jane, and I'm so used to seeing Natalie Portman's expressions and mannerisms that it could have applied to any generic romantic scenes with her and any other actor. I don't know why but I thought the actor who played Thor looked too much like Brad Pitt, maybe it's the long blond hair and unkempt look. So actor/actress issues made me distracted when watching the movie.

I saw August Rush this past weekend. It was a really good movie. I had never heard of it before, but my brother rented it. I was thinking about romance books while watching this movie, lol.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw "In Time" on Sunday. It's sort of like Bonnie & Clyde meets Robin Hood meets Occupy Wall Street. I liked the general concept (and it doesn't take much to translate it to today's world) but the movie, for some reason, was merely average to me. I guess I thought it could have been MORE. More what, I don't know.

I was HORRIBLY distracted by Amanda Seyfried's 6-inch stilettos. She runs throughout the entire movie, and she's always in these super-high heels, sprinting around on her little toothpick legs. Very distracting.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puss in Boots
B

It was missing that little something-something that makes a film an A but it was lots of fun. This is the origin of Puss, who meets up with a bad egg in his orphanage days and must right past wrongs before he can really move forward in life.

The story was very clever and original, the animation was excellent and if you have an excuse to go, take it.

maggie b.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: