AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pan Am -- and new fall shows in general
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Pan Am -- and new fall shows in general Reply with quote

Did anybody else watch last night and what did you think?

I liked it. I am intrigued most by the stewardess who is more than a stewardess. And I felt awful for poor Colette - I do not understand women who (highlight to read) yell at the mistress rather than their husband. That woman did not stand in a room full of people and committ to you.

I also liked Person of Interest.

Charlies's Angels was meh and I won't be watching it. Just don't have the viewing time to take on too many shows.

maggie b.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No interest in Pan AM or The Playboy Club. I watched Unforgettable; it isn't. I recorded Prime Suspect on Sat and watched it Sun; I liked Maria Bello's Jane, but did not like the grittiness of the film or the sexism on the job. I also recorded and viewed the season opener of Law and Order: SVU; I thought the transition was fairly smooth; Danny Pino from Cold Case starts next week. I miss the original Law and Order and will soon miss Criminal Intent.

I watched the season opener of CSI; Ted Danson's character made a good start.

Castle just keeps rolling along successfully, IMO.

Kay
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fall I've been excited for:

RETURNS:
Supernatural
The Vampire Diaries
Castle
NCIS
Criminal Minds
Fringe
America's Next Top Model -- but thank goodness I can DVR this and fast-forward through all the drama!

NEW:
Ringer -- not loving, but will keep watching for a while for SMG
Terra Nova -- starts tonight
Person of Interest -- probably won't keep up with this one
A Gifted Man -- haven't seen this yet; will watch for Jennifer Ehle
Secret Circle -- teenage witchy dramal; liking it so far. Plus, it has Gale Harold from Queer as Folk! Always happy to see the alumni from that show
PanAm -- didn't watch the premier but I have this recorded.

Later in the year I'm eager for the return of:
The Walking Dead
Bones
Mad Men
The Closer (final season for Kyra Sedgewick)

Also wanting the BBC version of Being Human. I'm interested to see how it unfolds now without Mitchell (that actor having left to play one of the dwarves in The Hobbit).
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the new shows, so far I have only liked Person of Interest.

Saw only a few minutes of Charlie's Angels and that was enough for me.

I recorded Prime Suspect, Pan Am, and Terra Nova but have not watched them yet. Also plan to give A Gfted Man a try since it's on demand and I like Jennifer Ehle. And will try Once Upon a Time when it starts, but I doubt it will last long.

Of the returning shows, I am watching Hawaii Five-O (horrible scripts, but I like the cast for the most part and the setting), NCIS, Body of Proof (which had a terrible pilot but has steadily improved), CSI: New York, and Blue Bloods. I may start watching CSI again. I quit watching regularly when Grissom left as the new guy just didn't interest me. Watched the season premiere. Danson's character is quirky, but the script was just odd. Will give it a few more tries this season.

I don't watch The Mentalist or The Closer as they air in order to justify buying the DVDs. So I am a season behind on both.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved PAN AM's retro and glamorous recreation of the early 60's but don't know whether I'll watch it again. I wish the program just concentrated on stories of the passengers each week. I, personally, found the "work for the CIA" aspect distracting and frankly, annoying. Like Maggie B, I wanted to hit the woman who confronted the stewardess, but we all know that it's very common to blame someone else than the person who deserves it.

I watched "The Playboy Club" last night, but except for casting a main guy because he looks like John Hamm, thought it was "been there, seen that."

Neither show seems to get that one of the reasons "Mad Men" is a hit is because not only are the acting and script superior, but it recreates the world 50 years ago, including attitudes, etc. perfectly.

I saw REVENGE which I thought was good, but will not watch it again because I, personally, don't like to get involved in an ongoing story which seems kind of of a soap opera.

I know what Library Addict means by her objections to PRIME SUSPECT and agree. I suspect that the writers are imitating too much to the blatant sexism encountered by Helen Mirren in the British (and fabulous, fabulous) series. Maybe I'm wrong here, but the sexism seemed over the top and frankly, outdated. I thought that the writing was strong enough that I wanted to see it again, tho.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recorded Terra Nova but frankly the half hour or so I watched is not pulling me in. The bratty teenage boy really makes me long for the days when child beating was an option. (OK, no, I would never do that but it reminds me of those moments when you have a thirty second fantasy of beating the person bugging you senseless with your purse.) Embarassed

The Closer is a must watch for me, as is Glee. I'm still feeling the love.

maggie b.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Pan Am and thought for the most part it seemed fairly authentic. There are a few mistakes but it seemed to get the glamour and excitement of the airline industry back in the 60s.

The four female parts are intriguing and it will be interesting to see what happens to them. The two sisters are interesting since one is going to do Intelligence work and the other one left her fiancÚ at the altar to pursue new adventures. Bridget looks like she will be looming in the background so I think she will be a part of the series. She was compromised somehow with the work she was doing but she seems to care for the new captain(Dean). Christine Ricci's character seems perky.

The captain seemed fairly young to be flying the left seat. Also, the flight crew doesn't wear their uniform jackets when they fly and certainly doesn't smile at each as they are taking off. That was goofy.

Pan Am travelled the world so there should not be a shortage of exotic locales for the stories to take place.

On a side note, Castle was great! Enjoyed the premier and the second episode with the Lone Avenger being a surprise.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Pan Am online and enjoyed it. I was surprised at how young the pilot was. That didn't seem right, especially as there was an older pilot flying a Pan Am plane out of Cuba. And I agree that the pilot and first officer grinning at each other on take off was definitely goofy.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Just watched Pan Am online and enjoyed it. I was surprised at how young the pilot was. That didn't seem right, especially as there was an older pilot flying a Pan Am plane out of Cuba. And I agree that the pilot and first officer grinning at each other on take off was definitely goofy.

My husband and I watched it Sunday night after getting home from all places, the airport. Then we watched it with our daughter on Monday evening on the ABC iPad app. She enjoyed it. We are trying to get her interested in being a flight attendant or maybe an air traffic controller
since she's not sure what she wants to do. She's almost 21, attending college but not certain of her major. Being a flight attendant would give her a chance to travel and see the world. The only drawback is that it doesn't pay worth a darn but when you're young and can live at home what does the pay matter? She won't even get her passport renewed which is a source of contention with DH and me. So I guess she's telling us that traveling isn't her cup of tea.

Her brother on the other hand loves traveling and is willing to live abroad. He spent the spring semester studying in London and loved it. While he was there, he met my husband in Amsterdam one weekend and then later visited Paris with his friends. He's been to Munich and Frankfurt with DH so he's very much into traveling.

Do you remember the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey where PanAm was the portal to the space station? When it was made, PanAm was the premier airline and looked what happened to it?

PanAm's demise was due to not having any domestic feed when the other airlines purchased international flight routes. They certainly weren't going to give their business to PanAm, their competitor. Eventually, PanAm sold off their international routes and later shrunk away.
This TV show is a nice salute to a once great airline.
library addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the pilot to Pan Am, though I think the flashbacks could have been better integrated. The CIA stewardess is the most interesting character so far.

Wathced Terra Nova as well. I thought the son was rather bratty. And I was surprised that all of the teens survived their encounter with the slashers. The initial setup reminded me somewhat of the British series Outcasts. There were certainly enough "clues" crammed into the pilot to have the series go in multiple directions. The mystery I am most curious about is Taylor's son. I like Jason O'Mara so I will continue to watch.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
She won't even get her passport renewed which is a source of contention with DH and me. So I guess she's telling us that traveling isn't her cup of tea.

Oh, that's a shame. Does she just not want to travel overseas or domestic either?

KarenS wrote:
Her brother on the other hand loves traveling and is willing to live abroad. He spent the spring semester studying in London and loved it. While he was there, he met my husband in Amsterdam one weekend and then later visited Paris with his friends. He's been to Munich and Frankfurt with DH so he's very much into traveling.

That is great. Travel -- no matter where -- is a great education.

KarenS wrote:
Do you remember the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey where PanAm was the portal to the space station? When it was made, PanAm was the premier airline and looked what happened to it?

I do remember that movie. It is sad that Pan Am is no longer around except on tv.
Maggie AAR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
And will try Once Upon a Time when it starts, but I doubt it will last long.

I am going to try it too. Do you remember The Charmings and Beauty and the Beast from the 80's? Hope this one is good.

maggie b.
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
library addict wrote:
And will try Once Upon a Time when it starts, but I doubt it will last long.

I am going to try it too. Do you remember The Charmings and Beauty and the Beast from the 80's? Hope this one is good.

maggie b.
Yes!

I enjoyed the first season of The Charmings a lot. But then they recast the role of Snow and the actress they got had no where near the level of acting ability and whimsy Caitlyn O'Heaney bought to the role, so I quit watching.

I watched Beauty and the Beast the whole way through. I think they actually could have gotten the new character (was her name Jo?) to work if they'd been given the chance. I enjoyed the show for the most part.
Debra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Pan AM and enjoyed it, but my mom looked at the pilot and said no way would they have a pilot that young fly that plane! My dad was a pilot during the 50's and 60's.

I really enjoy Castle, The Closer and am still on the fence about Two and Half Men. AS for the new shows nothing has really grabed me yet.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really looking forward to Once Upon a Time; set in the modern day, the characters are all fairy tale characters who have forgotten who they are. It's by the creators of Lost. Can't wait for the debut!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_%28TV_series%29

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: