AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fright Night - Grade A - LOVED it!!!!

Funny, scary, suspenseful, and Colin Farrell was total HOTNESS!!

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Fright Night - Grade A - LOVED it!!!!

Funny, scary, suspenseful, and Colin Farrell was total HOTNESS!!

Linda


Oh, good to know. I remember the 80's version with Chris Sarandon, and that one was funny too...and scary. I love Colin Farrell. I can definitely see the hotness factor there for that role.
Just to add...Chris Sarandon had a cameo in the movie, apparently. He was killed by Colin though. I read an interview with Sarandon and he said it served him right for killing all those people in his movie. Smile Glad you enjoyed it. I would like to see it too.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nicole



Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 469
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan the Barbarian

You know, this wasn't as bad as I was expecting. My BFF and I would watch the old ones with Arnold and laugh at how cheesy they were, so I went into this with expectations low. However I was surprised to find it was actually pretty decent. The acting was pretty good, and the cheesy lines were at a minimum. The action was nice, and the movie was paced nicely. Also Jason Maoma was just...wow....super fine.
_________________
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. -Louisa May Alcott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[Oh, good to know. I remember the 80's version with Chris Sarandon, and that one was funny too...and scary. I love Colin Farrell. I can definitely see the hotness factor there for that role.
Just to add...Chris Sarandon had a cameo in the movie, apparently. He was killed by Colin though. I read an interview with Sarandon and he said it served him right for killing all those people in his movie. Smile Glad you enjoyed it. I would like to see it too.


Xina, I don't think I ever saw the 1985 version, I looked up Chris Sarandon on Wiki and can place him now as a motorist that was killed by Colin. Cool! I really need to go watch the original.

What is up with all this 3D obsession? It's this annoying thing that will not go away. At the theater we had the choice to see it in 3D or regular and we chose regular, those glasses always give me a headache. I went to pre-order the DVD and only see the 3D version as coming out.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tinabelle



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 875
Location: SE Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Help - A

Powerful book. Powerful movie. Casting and performances were excellent and the screen adaptation was very true to the book. The theatre was packed and the audience applauded at the end of the film. How often does that happen?

Jane Eyre(2011) - A-

I am a Jane Eyre movie junkie; can't tell you how many versions I have watched. This new adaptation took a slightly different approach in how the story was told in a series of flashbacks. For that alone, this version gets bonus points. Rich production values. Very emotional. Would have liked to see a bit more of the developing relationship between Rochester and Jane.
_________________
So many books; so little time!
www.shelfari.com/tinabelle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merryweather



Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 531
Location: Encinitas, CA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:


Jane Eyre(2011) - A-

I am a Jane Eyre movie junkie; can't tell you how many versions I have watched. This new adaptation took a slightly different approach in how the story was told in a series of flashbacks. For that alone, this version gets bonus points. Rich production values. Very emotional. Would have liked to see a bit more of the developing relationship between Rochester and Jane.


I thought it was very well done, and he's the best Rochester I've ever seen, but I was disappointed how the movie ended so abruptly. My favorite part of the story is where she comes back to him and how they adjust to the change in both their circumstances. But it was a beautiful movie.

I saw The Help last week and give it an A. Very satisfying, as close to the book as possible and the cast! Just amazing.

Last night I saw One Day with Anne Hathaway and I don't know what to give it. I feel like giving it a D because I'm so annoyed with the trailers misleading me into thinking it was going to be an upbeat love story. I did not read the book so I had no idea what was coming. I won't spoil it, but if you don't like leaving the theatre in tears don't see this one. But some people like tear-jerkers, so don't mind me.
_________________
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week my daughter, DIL and I saw Crazy, Stupid Love. REally enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling (love him) played a real creep for half the movie. Steve Carell was great too. I love when he leaves his Office character behind and is mostly serious in his role. And Emma Stone...I really enjoy her as an actor. I hope she has many years ahead of her on film.
Nice movie that dragged just a bit in the end. I noticed the guy in front of us looking very bored. You could almost hear his inner voice saying...really? this is not over yet? I would call it a girl-movie, but a pretty good girl-movie at that. B+
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Last week my daughter, DIL and I saw Crazy, Stupid Love. REally enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling (love him) played a real creep for half the movie. Steve Carell was great too. I love when he leaves his Office character behind and is mostly serious in his role. And Emma Stone...I really enjoy her as an actor. I hope she has many years ahead of her on film.
Nice movie that dragged just a bit in the end. I noticed the guy in front of us looking very bored. You could almost hear his inner voice saying...really? this is not over yet? I would call it a girl-movie, but a pretty good girl-movie at that. B+


I've heard such raves about this movie Xina, it's good to see your review! I'll wait and watch it on Netflix. Have you seen Fright Night yet?

Here's a review for Fright Night, so far all that I've seen have been positive -

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/08/one-of-lifes-guilty-pleasures-fright-night

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
xina wrote:
Last week my daughter, DIL and I saw Crazy, Stupid Love. REally enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling (love him) played a real creep for half the movie. Steve Carell was great too. I love when he leaves his Office character behind and is mostly serious in his role. And Emma Stone...I really enjoy her as an actor. I hope she has many years ahead of her on film.
Nice movie that dragged just a bit in the end. I noticed the guy in front of us looking very bored. You could almost hear his inner voice saying...really? this is not over yet? I would call it a girl-movie, but a pretty good girl-movie at that. B+


I've heard such raves about this movie Xina, it's good to see your review! I'll wait and watch it on Netflix. Have you seen Fright Night yet?

Here's a review for Fright Night, so far all that I've seen have been positive -

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/08/one-of-lifes-guilty-pleasures-fright-night

Linda


No, I haven't seen it yet Linda, but that is a good review. I do love Colin Farrell (sp?) though, and it sounds, from the review..that he got the character down. **slightly off** Exactly!
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maggie AAR
Site Admin


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 2487

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Popper's Penguins
2011
B-


Mr. Popper's dad was never around but he sent cool gifts. This latest gift, though, a penguin from the antarctic transcends all others in helping Popper reconnect with his estranged wife and children.

A nice little story with some funny moments.

Country Strong
2010
D


Sometimes I regret turning on my TV. A mess of a movie about an alcoholic singer and the people around her who really only wanted to ride on her coat tails to success. No amount of strong performances can save you when you don't bother with a script.

maggie b.
_________________
http://maggiebbooksandteas.blogspot.com
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain. - Louisa May Alcott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limitless - B+ , better than I expected! Thought I knew what the ending would be but I was wrong. Good concept and well played by all the actors.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maggie AAR
Site Admin


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 2487

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Limitless - B+ , better than I expected! Thought I knew what the ending would be but I was wrong. Good concept and well played by all the actors.

Linda


I would agree with you, Linda. Good film, interesting concept.

maggie b.
_________________
http://maggiebbooksandteas.blogspot.com
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain. - Louisa May Alcott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Help...grade A. 10 stars. What a great movie. I just loved it. I was going to read the book, so I put of seeing the movie, but went yesterday. Ron Howard's daughter (can't remember her name) plays the most awful woman. Who knew Opie's daughter could be such a bitch??
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheri



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1350
Location: michigan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the help.thanks for the info on the Anne Hathaway movie I will be skipping. I am eagerly waiting for next week when Bridesmaid is released on DVD. I will run to the store to get it, I laughed out loud for the entire movie when I saw it. Cheri
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I loved the help.thanks for the info on the Anne Hathaway movie I will be skipping. I am eagerly waiting for next week when Bridesmaid is released on DVD. I will run to the store to get it, I laughed out loud for the entire movie when I saw it. Cheri



Bridesmaid...my DIL loved it and my daughter has seen it 3 times. They are bringing to our cabin this weekend. I can't wait to see it. I've heard it is hysterical.
Loved The Help too. Saw it again yesterday.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group